T Nation

First Cycle: Var/Test-E Cycle & Diet Suggestions

Going to be running my first cycle (Test-E/Var) come this February-May. Been lifting for 9 years and BBing for 5; I know what I’m doing.

• Goal is to go from 12% BF to 7% over a period of 8-12 weeks while putting on as much lean mass as possible.

Current Physical:
Height: 6’0
Weight: 205
15% BF (12% BF at start of cycle)

Cycle
Test-E: 500 mg/week (weeks 1-10)
Var: 50-60 mg/day (weeks 4-12)
PCT (Nolvadex & Clomid) (post 3 weeks)

• Original diet plan was to bulk for the first month while only using test; take Var, then begin gradual cut, and end with shredded, lean diet

Hypothetical Diet Regimen

• Weeks 1-4 (only Test-E): Bulking diet for first 4 weeks, 300-400 calorie surplus
    - 3200-3500 calories; 350g carbs, 250+ protein, less than 80g fat
    (rice, beef, chicken, oats, fruits, pastas, quinoa, tuna, breads, veggies)

• Weeks 5 (Test-E, Var): Calorie intake slightly below maintenance level, 200-300 calorie deficit (-0.5 to -0.6 lb./week)
    - 2500-2600 calories; 225-250 carbs, 250-270 protein, 55-65g fat
    (brown rice, lean meats (chicken, fish), oats, fruit, veggies, wheat pastas, omega-3 non-hydrogenated oil peanut butter)

• Weeks 6-7 (Test-E, Var): Continue to decrease calorie intake, 400-500 calorie deficit (-0.8 to -1.0 lb./week)
    - 2300-2400 calories; 175-200 g carbs, 250 protein, 55-60g fat
    (brown rice, chicken, fish, broccoli/veggies, fruits, wheat bread, almonds)

• Weeks 8-12 (Test-E (8-10)/Var (8-12): Bump calories down to minimum, 600-800 calorie deficit (-1.2 to -1.6 lb./week)
    - 2000-2200 calories; carb cycle between 50, 100, 150, 200 g, 250g protein, 55g fat
    (brown rice, chicken, tuna, broccoli/veggies, fruits, wheat bread, almonds)

• Weeks 13-16 PCT: Diet depends on progress

Questions:
-I’m looking for advice regarding my diet plan. I’ve read the benefits of Var, yet I’m skeptical as to whether or not I should decrease or increase my calorie intake during the course of the cycle (weeks 1-12). I’ve read some scientific reviews that say Var can aid in fat loss along with the muscle strength increases; with that being said, is it common to lose fat while eating in the maintenance calorie range?

I’ve also seen numerous threads/ personal testimonies on the combination of muscle strength and fat-burning advantages of Var; some people say it acts to increase/maintain muscle preservation while shredding fat, while others say that cardio and diet is still the only way to drop BF (I’m assuming it’s the latter and your genetics).

• Also do you think its wise to bulk during the first 4 weeks while only running Test? It seems a bit inconsistent to bulk for 4 weeks while running a primarily cutting designed cycle; however, I’d like to get the most out of the 4 weeks of Test.

If anyone experienced or knowledgeable can lend me some advice it would be much appreciated.

Did you mean to say you would run 500mg of test?

Yeah, thanks for catching that. 500 mg Test-E.

• Also, I’m 23

run the var higher for less time. 4 or 6 weeks

The test E wont really kick in till around week 3-5 (depends on how you react to it) , so all those extra calories wont be benefiting you that much…and by then you will be cutting. IMO it would just counteract your cutting goals…

If i was in your position, i’d either…

1.Run a shorter estered test (popular with cutting cycles)
2.Frontload the test e so it kicks in earlier

Looks terrible but hey have fun haha

[quote]BUDs wrote:
Looks terrible but hey have fun haha[/quote]

what are you smoking there brah?

Cycle looks great, but I just don’t get the whole “I wanna gain mass but cut and get shredded” do one or the other. I just think at the end you’ll be slightly disappointed if you try to do both, sure it’s doable but why not gain mass on cycle then when your off cut. It’s possible to gain mass and stay fairly lean. In my opinion dropping your calories down to 2000-2500, your not getting the full potential of the gear. I’m sure people will disagree with me but that’s my opinion. I would run a bulk cycle then cut when off or do a bulk cycle then a cutting cycle.

Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything I’m not the OP, but his cycle looks good, put together very well

I read up on the delivery effects of Test and the majority of sources say that it does take time for your body to utilize the gear. In light of this, I suppose it might be most beneficial to cut during that time and continue cutting shortly into the Var. I don’t think it’s likely that I’ll need 12 weeks to lose 5% BF; so I suppose I could cut during the first 6 weeks and then up the calories for the latter half, maximizing the gear’s potential effects.

Any last minute thoughts?

[quote]BUDs wrote:
Cycle looks great, but I just don’t get the whole “I wanna gain mass but cut and get shredded” do one or the other. I just think at the end you’ll be slightly disappointed if you try to do both, sure it’s doable but why not gain mass on cycle then when your off cut. It’s possible to gain mass and stay fairly lean. In my opinion dropping your calories down to 2000-2500, your not getting the full potential of the gear. I’m sure people will disagree with me but that’s my opinion. I would run a bulk cycle then cut when off or do a bulk cycle then a cutting cycle.

Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything I’m not the OP, but his cycle looks good, put together very well [/quote]

oh wow i was the one blazed, i really thought you wrote “looks terrible but they have fun haha” and i was like wtf is this guy talking about?

I also happen to agree with you, I have made that mistake myself and you basically just waste gear and time …

Okay, well this may be anecdotal evidence, but I have a friend who took the same dosage, ate chicken breasts and ice cream, and got shredded. He said he got down to 5% (for a photo shoot) while also putting on some size gains. Has anyone else heard of similar results?

And as far as my above diet goes; I would be bulking during the test cycle as a continuation of the bulk cycle I’m on now - thru January.

I agree with the others here either cut or bulk, as far as your friends results chicken and ice cream??? 5%BF??? dont count on those results and i think he might be fucking with you.

[quote]lbraga wrote:

[quote]BUDs wrote:

Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything I’m not the OP, but his cycle looks good, put together very well [/quote]

oh wow i was the one blazed, i really thought you wrote “looks terrible but they have fun haha” and i was like wtf is this guy talking about?

I also happen to agree with you, I have made that mistake myself and you basically just waste gear and time …[/quote]

Haha cause that’s what I said but I guess I should of elaborated more! I had a couple so maybe I was a little edgy

Anyways OP, don’t let me discourage you if this is how you want to run your cycle then do it, this whole game is about finding out what works for you, if you run your cycle and don’t get the results then try another approach its all trial and error. Everybody is different and for my I like to stick to one plan on a cycle, big bulk after summer/winter then cut cycle before summer (you know for river season) but I’ve also tried all kinds of ways to diet so I know how my body works and I know what to eat to gain weight, maintain and to cut. I wouldnt base your results on your friends because people are different, i have a buddy barely i mean barely works out amd the dude is yoked, he curls a pencil and gets huge, its not fair god dammit. So all in all give it a shot OP and if it doesn’t yield the results you were hoping for try a different angle, different cycle, different diet whatever it may be.