T Nation

First Cycle Advice

So I am 39 years old, 6ft 10in tall and 245lbs. I have been working out for over 4 years now and just have not seen the gains I want. I have had no problem with weight loss though. I am able to maintain what I have gained, just can't seem to put any more mass on. I have always had a hard time gaining mass. I have been on 4500 calories a day for 5 months now and made small gains. My diet consists of 1-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight and a minimum of .5g of fats per pound of body weight. The rest is a combination of fats, carbs and lean proteins. I have been researching and thinking about doing a cycle to gain some mass. The cycle I am considering is:

Test Cypionate at 500mgs
Dianabol at 20mgs per day for the first 3-4 weeks as a kickstart
Nolvadex at 20mgs per day if needed for side effects and as PCT

I plan on doing this cycle for 8-12 weeks depending on its effectiveness. From my research I think this is a pretty good first cycle. Any opinions?

As discussed in the stickies... use an AI on-cycle for E2 management and keep the nolva for PCT.

Other than that, it's ok. You should probably frontload the cyp and save the dbol for later in the cycle, though many do it exactly the way you outlined it.

Additionally, you're still going to have to make both short- and long-term changes to the diet in order to realize and maintain the changes that you're hoping for from your cycle.

I know I still have a lot to learn on this subject. I am not looking to start too soon. I do want to make sure that everything is in order and that I have all the necessary facts prior to beginning a cycle.

I am already looking at uping my protein intake quite a bit. In the past if I up it anymore than 4500 a day I gain a lot of fat. I am working out 6 days a week. It just seems to be too many calories for me to use. What parts of my diet do I need to change? I am looking for recomendations and advice. My plan is to eat, eat and then eat even more.

I have been reading the stickies too. I actually have read some multiple times. I think I am understanding a lot more now. I am not one that jumps in feet first without proper research on a subject. I am looking at everything, and just want the advice from the guys here that have more knowlege than myself.

I appreciate the reply and advice and I do understand I have much more to learn.

Why, after 5 months of minimal gains, would you not increase your calories? You grow from a surplus of calories. If you arent gaining fast enough you need to consume more. This is as basic as it gets when it comes to weight lifting.