First Competiton: Water - Food - Weight

Hi guys,

I’m entering my first competition on 1st May, now that I’ve been powerlifting for 4 years.
I’m not sure yet whether to compete in the -75kg or -82.5kg class, since i’m currently at 78-79ish.

I was going to try and do this: a week before the competition, i’ll start drinking lots and lots, more water every day, until about 16 hours before competition. How much weight do you think I can lose by doing so? 2kg max or more?

I was planning not to eat or drink anything the morning of the weigh-in. But what do I do after that? My plan was:

• bottle of water with a little bit salt and sugar to start with (hypotonic)
  • then more and more nutrients every bottle… until isotonic.
  • then start eating… but what do I eat?
  • more and more isotonic water!!

The competition will probably be 2-3 hours after the weigh-in.

Thanks for answering my questions :slight_smile:

PS Please no replies as “it’s your first competition, just enjoy it!”. I definitelly will and I won’t do anything stupid either :wink:

I can’t speak to the cutting issue. But my coach advised me to eat Campbell’s chicken noodle soup after the weigh-in. The sodium will help your muscles retain water and perform well. I usually take a cooler full of food (tuna, avocado, bananas, applies, cheese sticks, bagel with cream cheese, etc. etc.) and just eat whatever I want throughout the day. Good luck.

A 3-4kg water cut’s a disaster of an idea at that bodyweight for a 2/3 hour weigh-in, in my opinion. I’ve seen too many people wreck comps doing it.

I knock back 4 sachets of diarolyte immediately after weigh-in in about a litre of water. It’s a salt and electrolyte replenisher. Then I just eat and drink for all I’m worth!! If you take in too much water too quickly it’ll just run straight thru you and you’ll fail to rehydrate. That’s why salts/electrolytes are important.

A 3-4kg water cut’s a disaster of an idea at that bodyweight for a 2/3 hour weigh-in, in my opinion. I’ve seen too many people wreck comps doing it.

I knock back 4 sachets of diarolyte immediately after weigh-in in about a litre of water. It’s a salt and electrolyte replenisher. Then I just eat and drink for all I’m worth!! If you take in too much water too quickly it’ll just run straight thru you and you’ll fail to rehydrate. That’s why salts/electrolytes are important.

What Hanley said. Since you are right in the middle of the two weight classes, cutting down that much the day of could be distastrous. You have some leeway in terms of poundage, so just weigh in at ~79 kilos, and keep your energy levels in a good place. A few guys I lift with tried to drop more than 5lbs of water weight for a morning-of weigh in, failed, and proceeded to have horrible meets.

As for foods to eat, I am partial to ground meat and bagels, but whatever you feel best eating should be your go-to food. Chicken noodle soup actually sounds kind of good too.

Unless you are trying to set some kind of state or american record, there is no reason to cut any weight. It’s your first meet, be as big and as strong as possible.

Why do you want to cut weight anyway?

Hi guys,

So all of you are telling me not to cut water? I think 1-2kg should be doable without any danger? Is the right strategy to cut weight, the one I mentioned, or how is it done if I don’t want to risk my strength? Drinking until the last night, and then no drinking until weigh-in (instead of stop drinking a few hours before the last night)?

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
Unless you are trying to set some kind of state or american record, there is no reason to cut any weight. It’s your first meet, be as big and as strong as possible.

Why do you want to cut weight anyway?[/quote]

I think the one’s in -75kg will be less strong compared to me. Anyways I don’t think I’ll make it there. I still have 26 days to cut weight, but I’ll probably try to maintain 78-79 until I cut the water.

just do the heavier class and put up some big PRs