First Comp in 2 Weeks - Squat Tweak

Okay, so my very first raw competition is two weeks from Saturday in Raleigh, North Carolina…

So since I have not even remotely attempted a max in months I decided to do some testing this week…

This is my attempt at a 495 back squat… and overall it did not “Feel” heavy … However watching the video I see a couple things… Depth… its damn close… But those watching said I hit depth…and the videos from my 2 other attempts I am clearly at depth…

Anyway… you can see in the video where my chest collapses a little, however I had enough drive to power out of that… My hips shot up very quickly but I recovered…

Anyway… Do you guys have any tips to help prevent that… or just tips in general on the squat?

Also…First time I have ever lifted in a singlet… Is there any piece of clothing that is more uncomfortable LOL.

Is that high bar?

If not, it looks awfully high on your back to be low bar. Looks like you are doing the motion of low bar with a high bar placement, causing extra weight on your neck, which could contribute to the forward lean.

Depth looks fine.

Every now and then this happens to me too, the forward lean, it is best combatted with just staying tight. When you get a heavier weight on your back, you get a little sloppy and don’t stay as tight until you are like “oh shit this is gonna dump over my head”.

Keep the chest tight and it should fix this one issue, and I think it is a one time issue, not a problem that will repeat itself.

As for the singlet, yours looks thick (like mine). You also look big (like me), so the belt is going to feel different than when you train. Thick singlet coupled with large belly equals a lot of extra fabric to go inside the belt. Basically, the holes you normally use on your belt are either going to be that much tighter, or not able to get in at all. Something to be aware of is all.

What weight class are you going in? I wouldn’t change anything with the comp 2 weeks out. Do that one as good as you can and improve for the next comp. 500 is a good squat for a first comp regardless of bodyweight

Had to edit, I assume you’ve competed before but not raw? I all wouldn’t change anything until after the competition

This will be my first competition period…I have never done it before… I will be competing in this event in the 272lb weight class… I am at 258 right now… I am slowly dropping towards the 243 weight class… but I did not want to do a weight cut for this event…

Its probably high bar… I am still learning low bar technique… This is very new to me

What federation? I’ve never heard of 243 and 272 weight classes.

Very difficult to ascertain depth from that angle. I always advise people to film from the position a ref would be to call depth.

A longer singlet might be more comfortable. And yes, there is something more uncomfortable to lift in: gear.

As long as your lifts are legal, change as little as possible at this point. Wait till after the meet.

Have fun!

[quote]Vincepac1500 wrote:
What weight class are you going in? I wouldn’t change anything with the comp 2 weeks out. Do that one as good as you can and improve for the next comp. 500 is a good squat for a first comp regardless of bodyweight

Had to edit, I assume you’ve competed before but not raw? I all wouldn’t change anything until after the competition[/quote]

Absolutely this. Just go in and do the best you can.

I’d have to agree with everyone, even though I’ve only done two meets myself. I wouldn’t start second guessing my form just two weeks out. You look strong and ready, just go out and have fun, you’ll do great.

1 Like

thank you guys, thats my thoughts… im gonna go out and have fun… its my very first competition ever… squat and deadlift are my bread and butter but im always looking to improve…

hey man nice squat,

My personal opinion as to why your butt shot back and you got bent forward a bit is a bit of quad weakness, so your body uses your butt to keep the weight going up but that pushes you forward. If your quads were stronger your knees would stay forward and you wouldn’t have that face plant feeling.

After your meet bring your front squat up to 80-85% of your back squat and your form should change for the better.

1 Like

Sorry, I mean 242.5 and above to 275.5… I will be in the 275lb class… weighing in at 256 today