First Comp: 1300@148 raw (456 Wilks)

This past weekend I competed at RPS Christmas Carnage, which was my first competition ever. I really enjoyed myself and had a lot of fun competing, but at the same time I am incredibly unsatisfied with the final result, mostly the deadlift. For the last few months I’ve had an incredibly annoying injury to one of the small muscles in my left glute and it all but prevented me from training the deadlift leading up to this competition.

To be honest I wasn’t sure until meet day if I was going to even be able to do anything but a token pull to get a total. That’s how bad it was. The combination of adrenaline and pain killers that I took allowed me to get in something decent, but I left a lot of pounds on the platform and plan to come back with a vengeance in my next competition. For now though, I will rest and heal.

Next time, I will be healthy when I compete and I will crush the deadlift. My next training focus will be to finally break the 600lbs barrier, and then hopefully I will be able to replicate that in competition. As far as the bench goes I’m just looking to make it to 300. My next squat goal is 550, but I also have my eye on eventually beating Rickey Dale Crain’s 565 squat from the 70’s.
And I will total 1400 the next time I compete.

Nice work!

[quote]lift206 wrote:
Nice work![/quote]

Thanks man!

Awesome first meet. How long have you been training for?

[quote]TrevorLPT wrote:
Awesome first meet. How long have you been training for?[/quote]

Thanks bro. I started lifting around 2007 I believe.

Crazy strong. That’s seriously impressive.

Yeah that’s seriously impressive. Holy cow.

So after 7 years of training you finally got on the platform. Do you feel like you should have done it sooner?

Strong

[quote]knobby22 wrote:
Yeah that’s seriously impressive. Holy cow.

So after 7 years of training you finally got on the platform. Do you feel like you should have done it sooner?[/quote]

I have no regrets about waiting. I wanted to do something impressive in my first competition so I held off for a while. As far as the meet itself, other than not really being able to deadlift, my biggest regret is that I didn’t get to take a crack at a 540 squat. I actually hit 535 in training one week out from the comp. and it was less grindy than the 525 here.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Crazy strong. That’s seriously impressive. [/quote]

Thanks man.

Great work, man. Ten times bodyweight total perhaps?

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
Great work, man. Ten times bodyweight total perhaps?[/quote]

I’ve always wanted to do that, but it’d be tough. I think it’s been only been done by 2-3 guys in the weight class. Maybe once I get to 1400 I’ll be able to see the light.

How tall are you man? That’s a crazy total for the body weight, well done! Curiosity, what weight do you normally walk around at?

[quote]rbpowers wrote:
How tall are you man? That’s a crazy total for the body weight, well done! Curiosity, what weight do you normally walk around at? [/quote]

Thanks bro. I’m 5’6. And 155-160 depending on how lean I am at the time.

Friggin amazing man! And holy cow, Rickey Dale Crain’s record has stood a long time … sure hope you break it.

Can’t believe this hasn’t gotten more attention yet.

Can you outline how you train and your general philosophy?

[quote]Leeuwer wrote:
Friggin amazing man! And holy cow, Rickey Dale Crain’s record has stood a long time … sure hope you break it.

Can’t believe this hasn’t gotten more attention yet.

Can you outline how you train and your general philosophy? [/quote]

In fairness, someone did recently beat Crain’s squat, so if I manage to beat it, it would only be an American Record at this point and not an all-time record, but still, it’s a big goal of mine.

My biggest philosophy is build up your body to handle heavy, high frequency squatting. I think that’s the best way to improve overall strength. The squat skyrockets from that type of training and the deadlift generally comes along for the ride. I’ve found that focusing on the squat the majority of the time and then, for short cycles, reducing the frequency and adding in a deadlift day is the best way for me to make progress.

If you’ve got any other questions feel free to fire away.

Awesome work dude, great lifts/total.

Observation/question: You move pretty slow on a couple of these lifts, that second squat and your bench were real grindy. Obviously that’s bound to happen when you’re in a meet… out of curiosity, do you notice that you are a slower lifter at lighter weights too? Or is it only with max attempts? In your training, do you do anything in particular to combat the slowness, speed work and stuff, or do you just not worry about it and stick to cranking out sets and reps?

[quote]N.K. wrote:
Awesome work dude, great lifts/total.

Observation/question: You move pretty slow on a couple of these lifts, that second squat and your bench were real grindy. Obviously that’s bound to happen when you’re in a meet… out of curiosity, do you notice that you are a slower lifter at lighter weights too? Or is it only with max attempts? In your training, do you do anything in particular to combat the slowness, speed work and stuff, or do you just not worry about it and stick to cranking out sets and reps? [/quote]

Na, not really. I wouldn’t call myself an explosive lifter by any stretch of the imagination, but my sub-max lifts aren’t slow. I don’t do any speed work in the traditional sense as I never found it useful. A few times a year I like to do cycles of things like sprints, shuttle drills, and various forms of jumping to retain my athleticism because I don’t play in pick up games or anything like that anymore. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether or not that has any positive effect on my lifting. But I just do it because it’s fun, not because I think its going to help me squat more.

cool, thanks for taking the time to answer. I used to be really concerned about the speed of my max attempts, and I saw some really great sucess with speedwork for deadlifts. Nowadays I flip back and forth - I can’t seem to shake the idea that being faster = being stronger, it just kind of makes sense to me. But I’m also noticing that a lot of the people I train with or my friends who are becoming the strongest as time goes by aren’t particularly fast lifters.

So I was just curious to pick your brain about your attitude towards speed. I’ve kind of gravitated in the same direction you described, I try and focus on just lifting weight without too much concern for speed most of the time, but I include some speed work/jumping/sprinting when i can and want to. I figure it will probably help keep me from slowing down too much, and even if it doesn’t at least it is fun. I try to always keep in speed stuff for deads though, I’ve always seen a lot of gains from speed work there.

[quote]N.K. wrote:
cool, thanks for taking the time to answer. I used to be really concerned about the speed of my max attempts, and I saw some really great sucess with speedwork for deadlifts. Nowadays I flip back and forth - I can’t seem to shake the idea that being faster = being stronger, it just kind of makes sense to me. But I’m also noticing that a lot of the people I train with or my friends who are becoming the strongest as time goes by aren’t particularly fast lifters.

So I was just curious to pick your brain about your attitude towards speed. I’ve kind of gravitated in the same direction you described, I try and focus on just lifting weight without too much concern for speed most of the time, but I include some speed work/jumping/sprinting when i can and want to. I figure it will probably help keep me from slowing down too much, and even if it doesn’t at least it is fun. I try to always keep in speed stuff for deads though, I’ve always seen a lot of gains from speed work there. [/quote]

Yeah man, if it works for you keep doing it. Don’t take it out because I said so haha.