T Nation

First Bulk- When to Cut?

I started my first bulk phase 10 weeks ago and have made some nice gains along the way however my plan was to bulk for the winter and cut in time for summer.
I have recently learned that one needs to "hold on" to new muscle for a certain period of time before the cutting proccess is to commence or run the risk of sacraficing the new muscle during the cutting phase which of course I want to avoid at all costs.

A friend of mine who has some knowledge in BB recommended that forget about cutting for summer and just keep bulking to make the most out of my newbie gains.He's basically saying that I'm growing from week to week so don't fuck it up by dieting to soon.

I don't particularly want to be chubby for summer as I am starting to get a "bulk belly" but on the other hand I don't want to ruin my newbie gains either.

Can I get away with my first bulk lasting 3 1/2 months and cut without losing too much muscle?

More importantly,in doing so, will this sacrafice my newbie gains for my next bulking phase?

No.

Probably.

You need to think in the long term when you bulk. October is not long term.

Think how much bigger you will be next February if you don't cut now.

You can still get laid when you have a bulk belly.

It takes years to bulk up to a solid base of muscle. There's no reason you should look like a fat guy throughout your bulk, but accepting that you aren't going to have a flat stomach is just part of it.

If you try to stay lean the entire time, instead of years to finally look built, it'll be more like a decade.

I suggest you rectify your self-image problems, stop worrying about other peoples' opinions of your body, train harder than ever and don't eat too many cookies along the way until you have at least 18 inch arms.

You're over thirty now, so you have no time to waste really. Another thing is, how much muscle mass can you gain in 10 weeks? Some newbie gains, which will be lost anyway when you cut calories. Eat plenty and smart + watch your intensity level.

mr popular wrote:
It takes years to bulk up to a solid base of muscle. There's no reason you should look like a fat guy throughout your bulk, but accepting that you aren't going to have a flat stomach is just part of it.

If you try to stay lean the entire time, instead of years to finally look built, it'll be more like a decade.

I guess I'll just keep bulking.
As for "self image problems" I really couldn't care less about other peoples opinions but yes I do like to get laid often and here in the country there's no shortage of "beer bellys."
I'm just seeing what options I have available to me.
Thanks Guys

Well that's dumb, but yeah keep bulking.