T Nation

First Bulk EVER!!!

Well guys, I decided to go on a slow clean bulk. I am 6’2" 192 lbs and am eating 2900 cals a day. I kept upping my cals by 200 per week to the point I started gaining and it seems to be around 2900. I am gaining about .5 lbs a week right now. Is that pretty decent for a clean bulk??? I dont want to gain too fast. I eat about 90% clean and hit my calorie count probably 6 of the 7 days a week. Sometimes a little higher, sometimes a bit lower depending on whats going on and if I have easy access to food. My macros are usually around 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat. I do the Waterbury method which is 3 days a week full body and I do hiit once a week and a couple long walks with my fiance per week. Any advice for me. This is the first time I have wanted to see the scale go up in my WHOLE life. I am a ffb and its a little scary seeing the numbers go up again. I came down from about 280-290 with a high body fat percentage. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I figured I would also say that I have researched this pretty well so I don’t want to get all of the “Use the search function” replies.

I am mostly looking for inspiration to help me get to my goals. As any FFB knows, its hard to see those numbers go up. Its a HUGE mind game.

I have read the FFB handbook by Shugart which was GREAT. Just thought I should further explain my purpose for this thread.

Also, I lift in the mornings at 6:00 so if that changes anything I should be doing throw that at me too.

Good. You sound like you know what you’re doing if you’ve made this much progress.

As for working out in the morning. Pre workout you should probably have a whey shake right as you wake up and then Surge during/post workout.

Good luck.

What I usually do is wake up an hour before I need to wake up to workout and eat a banana to get some good carbs in there for energy. Then I go workout and have a shake with 1.5 cups oatmeal, 2 scoops whey, 1 Tbsp honey, another banana, and 1 Tbsp Natty PB. How does that sound?

Edit:
Oh, and 2 cups water in that shake. That would be hard to choke down dry. ha ha

Where are all the FFB’s that have made it. I was really hoping to hear from some of you guys that have been here before and had it work for ya. I also wouldnt mind seeing some advice from some of the well known FFB’s like CT and Shug. I read everything those guys write because I know they have done it.

Looks like you’re doing fine, which is why there aren’t any comments.

Hmmm, thats the best reply I could have asked for. Thanks for that. Ha ha, that actually kind of made my night. Hopefully my results end up as good as my plan appears to be. My wedding is coming up in 7 months and I just want to be able to bulk for a while and then cut back down for the big day. Hopefully I can get something done. I think my bulk wont be as long as it should, maybe only about 4 months. Hopefully if I play my cards right, I wont have “that much” fat to cut off. I will have some, thats a given, but hopefully not much.

Hey man, I’m doing the exact same as you: first time bulk and trying to go clean.

Best of luck to you. keep posting your results. I’d love to hear them.

Sounds good Gambit, you can post yours on here too if you want. We can make this our progress log for first time bulkers. Are you a FFB too or just a skinny dude trying to get big? Good luck either way!!!

I’ll be doing the same thing shortly, but my stats are a little smaller: 5’10" & 182 @ 10% body fat. I’m hoping to do it for 3 months or so to add another 10 pounds or so of muscle. After bulking, I’ll diet for a month or so to strip away any fat I’ve gained.

At the end of the day, I’d like to be 190 pounds @ 8-10% body fat.

I dont really have a specific body fat I would like to be at but in the end I would like to be around 205 and pretty lean for the wedding.

My idea weight would be around 225 or so but I dont think I will make that by the wedding without gaining a bunch of fat. Its taken my a good 3 weeks just to get up to 192 from 190.5. This is going to be quite a slow process…but thats just how I want it.

Well yesterday I ended my day with 2800 cals. A little lower than I like but I woke up this morning and am up another .5 lb. I am up to 192.5 now. HA, only 13 more lbs to go. Is around .5 lbs a week a pretty good rate for a clean bulk? I wont be able to get to 115 and cut off extra fat at this rate though. To do it at this rate it would take 26 weeks for me to get up to 215. Thats 6.5 months. I only have 7 until my wedding. I guess I will continue to bulk for a while and see where I end up. I want to leave at least 3 months to cut. So I guess I will bulk for 4 months, take what I can get, and then get leaned out.

Boss,
Good luck on the bulk. Have you done any measurements like BF% or waist/thigh/arm to give you and idea of what is actually going on?

Also, are you monitoring how much water you take in per day?

Arioch

[quote]boss99er wrote:
Well yesterday I ended my day with 2800 cals. A little lower than I like but I woke up this morning and am up another .5 lb. I am up to 192.5 now. HA, only 13 more lbs to go. Is around .5 lbs a week a pretty good rate for a clean bulk? I wont be able to get to 115 and cut off extra fat at this rate though. To do it at this rate it would take 26 weeks for me to get up to 215. Thats 6.5 months. I only have 7 until my wedding. I guess I will continue to bulk for a while and see where I end up. I want to leave at least 3 months to cut. So I guess I will bulk for 4 months, take what I can get, and then get leaned out. [/quote]

If you are ‘bulking’ at .5 per week, what the heck would you need 3 months to lean out for?

And I have to be honest–I don’t know how you can be adding weight at 2800 or so cals a day. Is your job sitting on the couch?

I drink right around a gallon a day as far as water goes. A little more actually if you count the two glasses of green tea I usually have in the morning. No, I should start with some measurements. Is there a good way to measure fat that may not be the most accurate but is consistant? I know those scales suck, is there a good body composition website I could use or something? Thanks for the advice.

Sasquatch: My job is pretty sedentary. I work in IT so I am at a computer all day long. Not sure, thats just where my cals are at right now and I seem to be gaining. Once it stops, I will up them again. I kept increasing my cals by 200 per week until the scale started moving up.

I know, it seems really low to me too, but I cant explain the numbers going up any other way. It could just be my body adjusting and the progress will come to a halt real soon.

Plus, I am a FFB so obviously my metabolism isnt the same as some skinny dudes that can eat whatever he wants all the time.

[quote]boss99er wrote:
Sasquatch: My job is pretty sedentary. I work in IT so I am at a computer all day long. Not sure, thats just where my cals are at right now and I seem to be gaining. Once it stops, I will up them again. I kept increasing my cals by 200 per week until the scale started moving up.

I know, it seems really low to me too, but I cant explain the numbers going up any other way. It could just be my body adjusting and the progress will come to a halt real soon.

Plus, I am a FFB so obviously my metabolism isnt the same as some skinny dudes that can eat whatever he wants all the time.[/quote]

I think you need to supercharge your metabolism. If you were at a caloric level that you could UP your calories 200 per week until you saw results, you simply were too low and shut your metabolism down. Don’t use former fat as a crutch. I once weighed around 400lbs and a lot of fat. That was 20 years ago after I got out of college. And I played college ball at around 230. So I’ve been seen up and down on the scale.

I would ramp up the volume and intensity of your workout. Cardio is ok, but I think you will benefit a hell of a lot more by building muscle than sweating water. Walk uphill for 20 minutes after your workouts and maybe 1–2 at the most higher intensity sessions a week is good.

You have 6 months before your wedding. A very reasonable goal could be to add 10lbs of lean mass to your frame. Along with this you could bring 3-5 lbs of fat and you will be much better off at around 210 with a lower bf%. BUT, to do this you need to consume quality calories and 2800 ain’t gonna do it.

I would conservatively shoot for 5lbs a month. In 4-4.5 months you add 20lbs. Now you cut for a month or 2 and drop 5-6 lbs of fat. You’ve now added 15 quality pounds, instead of the 8 or so you are planning. And again, I don’t believe you will add quality weight at 2800 cals a day.

Ha ha, I had to laugh a little that you suggest walking up hill for a bit after my weight sessions. I live in central Nebraska man…there arent hills for miles from here. I do get your point though. What if I slowly work my way up to about 3500 cals??? Would that be an ok place to start a slow bulk??? I guess I am asking where you think I should be.

I already workout for about 45 min 3 days a week doing the Waterbury method. That is a killer workout. I also try to do HIIT twice and go on longer walks a couple times a week. While I got your attention I am going to get as much info out of you as possible since you obviously have been where I have been…even more by the sound of it. You know how scary it is to see that scale going back up.

Ok, so assuming I do my lifting workout 3 times a week, what else should I do? I lift in the mornings before work at 6:00 am. I have my evenings open. Trust me man, you give me info, I will listen. I am not some know it all that will ignore ya. Let me have it.

[quote]boss99er wrote:
Ha ha, I had to laugh a little that you suggest walking up hill for a bit after my weight sessions. I live in central Nebraska man…there arent hills for miles from here. I do get your point though. What if I slowly work my way up to about 3500 cals???

I already workout for about 45 min 3 days a week doing the Waterbury method. That is a killer workout. I also try to do HIIT twice and go on longer walks a couple times a week. While I got your attention I am going to get as much info out of you as possible since you obviously have been where I have been…even more by the sound of it. You know how scary it is to see that scale going back up.

Ok, so assuming I do my lifting workout 3 times a week, what else should I do? I lift in the mornings before work at 6:00 am. I have my evenings open. Trust me man, you give me info, I will listen. I am not some know it all that will ignore ya. Let me have it.[/quote]

Take advantage of the extra calories! Can you lift 4 times a week? Go to a upper/lower twice a week split. This would be a great time to switch up your workouts. Shock the system. You have to stimulate and overload the muscles and you have to feed them.

It takes time. The results will come if the process is followed. All of a sudden 3-4 weeks from now you notice ‘this.’ Then in 6 weeks you notice ‘that.’ Draw out a plan and do your best to adhere to the principles. Life happens, just try and squeeze your 4 maybe 5 workouts in a week, do a session or two of HIIT, feed your body, and give it rest. No magic bullet.

Don’t overanalyze or overadjust. Don’t freak if you gain 3lbs one week. Your body is going through a change and it will adapt. You need those calories or extra water your body is holding. Subtle changes by the month are much better than wholesale changes by the week.

Well I just started the Waterbury method and would at least like to give it a try. Do you have a good upper lower split I could try. I know you were a proponant for split workouts so I am sure you are familiar with several of them. Like I said, i’m open to any advice. About my cals, do you think 3500 would be enough to at least start?

Also, I do still have some fat left, should I try a hard core cut to get rid of that first or just keep with the bulk and worry about the fat later? I am not currently ripped or really lean right now by any means. I think there was something else I was going to ask but I forget now. Thanks for you help so far!!!