T Nation

First Bodybuilding Competition

Howdy everyone! I got involved in weightlifting a few years back as a hobby to balance out all the time I was spending in front of the computer as a graduate student. Things have gone better than I could have ever hoped, and I am now in fairly decent shape and would like to try my hand at my university's annual bodybuilding competition (t-minus 105 days).

My problem is this:
I've dedicated most of my time, research, and energy over the last three years to cutting. I'm about 5'9, 175 lbs, 6.5% bodyfat. While I'm confident in my ability to design workouts to shed fat, I haven't a clue how to bulk! I'd like to spend the next 50 days or so trying to slap on as much weight as possible before I start to cut for the competition. So I'd like to ask everyone if they have any particular workout they could recommend to accomplish this goal? I know what to do in the kitchen, but could some advice for the gym. So I ask you all, what has worked best for you?

Honestly we could all give advice on a ton of workouts etc. and eating. Like CW's programs. CT's, Staley's etc which will all work if done right.

I would suggest if you are serious. email one of the coaches. Pay them to make a program for YOU. for your goals etc. and bust some ass good luck and nice goal.

If not let us know what you have been doing. Really what works to cut etc for you should largely work to build difference being intake and ability to handle more volume due to the upped intake

Thanks for the advice Phil. I'll check out CT's, CW's, and Staley's programs to see what they've got. Pardon my ignorance though, but what does CT and CW stand for? And what is Staley's first name?

I'm a big proponent of switching up my routine every 4-6 weeks; changing tempo, rep ranges, etc... I typically do only compound joint exercises, but every once in a while play around with isolation (my arms seem to like that the best).

In the end, I'm afraid I already know the answer to my question but am hesistant to act on it: more food! After all these years working to see what my abs look like, I'm nervous to up the calories and cover them up again.

You can't expect to bulk, make serious gains, and expect to see your abs. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean that they aren't there. If you want to compete, you're gonna have to lose your abs for a while, get used to it.

"Just because you can't see them doesn't mean that they aren't there. "

Kinda like if a tree falls in the forest?

No prob

CW = Chad Waterbury

CT = Christian Theibredeau (SP)

Staley = Charles

Let us know how it goes