T Nation

First Blood Test Results - Advice Appreciated

Hi
I was wondering if some of the experts could kindly take the time to look over my blood results and offer any comments or advice.
Comments returned from the testing companies doctor appeared very generic.

40yr white male
175cm
94kg
14.5%BF

Current protocol for last 10wks

M,W,F
100mg Testosterone blend
50mg Nandrolone Decanoate
250iu HCG

0.5mg Arimidex ED

and so to the results…

HAEMATOLOGY
Red Blood Cells
HAEMOGLOBIN (G/L) *178 g/L 130.00 - 170.00
HCT *0.515 L/L 0.37 - 0.50
RED CELL COUNT *5.83 x10^12/L 4.40 - 5.80
MCV 88 fl 80.00 - 99.00
MCH 30.5 pg 26.00 - 33.50
MCHC (G/L) 345 g/L 300.00 - 350.00
RDW 11.8 % 11.50 - 15.00
White Blood Cells
WHITE CELL COUNT 7.1 x10^9/L 3.00 - 10.00
NEUTROPHILS 3.94 x10^9/L 2.00 - 7.50
LYMPHOCYTES 2.32 x10^9/L 1.20 - 3.65
MONOCYTES 0.58 x10^9/L 0.20 - 1.00
EOSINOPHILS 0.21 x10^9/L 0.00 - 0.40
BASOPHILS 0.06 x10^9/L 0.00 - 0.10
Clotting Status
PLATELET COUNT 180 x10^9/L 150.00 - 400.00
MPV 10.6 fl 7.00 - 13.00
BIOCHEMISTRY
Kidney Function
CREATININE *136 umol/L 66.00 - 112.00
Liver Function
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 122 IU/L 40.00 - 129.00
ALANINE TRANSFERASE *53.2 IU/L 10.00 - 50.00
CK *1093 IU/L 38.00 - 204.00
GAMMA GT 23 IU/L 10.00 - 71.00
Proteins
TOTAL PROTEIN 67.5 g/L 63.00 - 83.00
ALBUMIN 39.7 g/L 34.00 - 50.00
GLOBULIN 27.8 g/L 19.00 - 35.00
Iron Status
FERRITIN 78.9 ug/L 30.00 - 400.00
Cholesterol Status
TRIGLYCERIDES 0.97 mmol/L 0.00 - 2.30
CHOLESTEROL *5.24 mmol/L 0.00 - 4.99
HDL CHOLESTEROL 1.29 mmol/L 0.90 - 1.50
LDL CHOLESTEROL *3.51 mmol/L 0.00 - 3.00
Non-HDL Cholesterol 3.95 nmol/L 0.00 – 3.99
Heart Disease Risk
HDL % OF TOTAL 24.62 % 20.00 - 100.00ENDOCRINOLOGY
Thyroid Function
THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 3.98 mIU/L 0.27 - 4.20
FREE THYROXINE 16.23 pmol/L 12.00 - 22.00
FREE T3 5.14 pmol/L 3.10 - 6.80
Hormones
TESTOSTERONE *38.39 nmol/L 7.60 - 31.40
FREE-TESTOSTERONE(CALCULATED)*1.22 nmol/L 0.30 - 1.00
17-BETA OESTRADIOL <18.35 pmol/L 0.00 - 191.99
SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB 22.24 nmol/L 16.00 - 55.00
PROLACTIN 281.8 mIU/L 86.00 - 324.00
Prostate
PROSTATE SPECIFIC AG(TOTAL) 0.758 ug/L 0.00 - 2.00

I have done as much research as I have been able to around this subject before, during and since commencing the above and have tried to follow the advice from these forums.
However these numbers are way out of my league and understanding, hence the ask for help.
Thanks in advance for any responses.

Are you saying you take that dosing every MWF or split amongst those days? Nandrolone has no place in TRT. Your numbers are clearly well above standard. Your TSH is pretty high, I would read KSman’s thyroid sticky and start taking temps. E2 is also low, you are taking too much arimadex.

Hi
yes every MWF for a total T of 300mg
the Nand is included purely for joint relief, and i find it works wonders for my knees whilst I’m continuing to lift heavy
Is the TSH…
THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 3.98 mIU/L 0.27 - 4.20
is not within the accepted range of the test?
where in that scale do you think it should be? and how can I reduce it?
I was basing the Arimidex dose on the 1mg per 100mg Test advice found on these forums therefore 3mg pw, I know I’m taking 3.5mg as I found taking the 0.5mg ED easier as a schedule. If I drop the extra 0.5mg do you think that would be sufficient?
Thanks

Your T dose is high, but labs indicate totally appropriate.

Thyroid lab ranges are useless. Use guidance from here.

TSH should be near 1.0
Something is very wrong.
Please eval overall thyroid function via last paragraph. ASAP
Do no treat this as a side issue.

While TSH is a problem, paradoxically, fT3 and fT4 are workable. Please provide history of [not] using iodized salt. Is there iodine or selenium in your supplements - amounts and history?

Labs indicate muscle damage. Hopefully only from training. You need to back off and have full muscle recovery for your labs. Muscles should not have any tenderness or soreness.

You may be an anastrozole over-responder who then needs 1/4th the expected dose. Stop for 6 days then resume at 1/4mg 3x per week. Note changes over 7-10 days after that. Low estrogens might be contributing to many issues as well as cholesterol.

Please describe how you have been feeling? Include libido, mood, energy. How long on T levels like this?

Are you getting enough protein? Meat? Proteins are low VS T levels. Have you been donating blood. Are you able to donate blood?

High RBC and hematocrit can put your TRT at risk as T dosing may not be sustainable, a common problem for some guys. Pleases avoid iron fortified flour, breads, rice, cereals, pasta etc. There can be problems from sluggish blood flow, affecting vascular organs and brain. Mini Aspirin, coasted, can make red blood cells more slippery. Avoid dehydration at all times and during fasting for fasting labwork.

Kidneys: Please list all supplements and meds, Rx and OTC. Are you taking NSAIDs for joints? Exactly what and for how long?

You are a testosterone hypermetabolizer and your effective half-life of T is short. Please do not miss any doses and try to do labs always half-way between injections.

17-BETA OESTRADIOL <18.35 pmol/L 0.00 - 191.99
You goal is E2=22pg/ml - 80pmol/L
Low E2 can make your joints ache, kill libido and performance, mess with energy mood/depression and more.

SHBG is very low, perhaps because E2 is low.

Please read the above carefully and make up a task list of what you are going to do and then review for completeness.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

KSman, firstly thank you so much for taking the time to look at this and provide the above insights.

I can answer some of your questions immediately, others will take a few days till I’m back home. I will work through your points and provide the information requested.

Once again a big thank you for your time

Hi KSman

I’ve re-read your thyroid basics sticky and the last paragraph and have today purchased a thermometer, I’ll take reading for 3 days and post the results

I’m not using iodised salt currently, in fact I never add salt to any food tbh! Thought I was being healthy. Again I have ordered some and will start using as recommended. I currently take 2x Kelp tablets per day providing a total of 400micrograms of iodine and 2x multi vitamin & mineral tablets providing a total of 200micrograms of iodine & 60micrograms of selenium. A total of 600micrograms iodine and 60micrograms of selenium per day.

The week of the blood draw was at the end of my lifting cycle and was a 1RM test week so tbh my body/muscles were pretty beat up. The bloods were taken on Thursday evening straight after a hard deadlift session. I had no idea this could effect results and will rectify for my next test.

I have immediately implemented your Anastrozole advice and will monitor as per your suggestions.

I’ve been feeling great tbh, I’ve seen my sex drive return, my energy level is generally higher than normal and bar being very slightly more impatient I have noticed no negative mood changes at all.

35-40% of my total calories come from protein although as much as half of this can be in powder format due to work/time constraints. I have never donated blood but there is a possibility I could, would you recommend?

I have started a daily 75mg coated aspirin prior to bed. I do sometimes find myself dehydrated and will try to combat this. I’m a fairly sure I would have been dehydrated at the time of the blood draw now that I look back. Again I was unaware this could affect results and will rectify in future.

I am currently taking the following daily split into 2 doses, have been for 6months+
6x1g fish oil
2x6000mg garlic
2xtumeric (unsure of dose)
2xkelp
2xmulti vit & mineral
6x3500mg beetroot extract

No nsaids on a regular basis, perhaps once a month for localised pain then stop, max 2 days

Daily anti-histamine nasal spray and tablet, have been for 2months and will continue for 2-3months

I hope this answers all the questions you posed and I’ll post the body temps early next wk.
Thanks again for your time
:+1:

A few guys need to donate blood. But do not state that you are donating for these reasons as the blood bank may object to your motives.

When I see that someone does not use salt, I am concerned that others in the same home may be iodine deficient. Please consider and check body temps of others in your home.

Salt does not cause high blood pressure. People who develop high blood pressure can lower blood pressure by reducing blood volume by reducing sodium. So many have that all backwards. And reducing BP that way is not fixing anything, it is masking the problem which is arterial endothelial dysfunction - look that up.

Your total blood proteins seemed low for your T levels.

Your cholesterol might improve with E2 increase. We know that very low estrogens cause lipid problems as some body builders deliberately go for very low E2 levels and the consequences are known.

Thyroid function can affect cholesterol levels as mitochondria burn fats and metabolized cholesterol–>pregnenolone etc.

Hi KSman
just an update

been taking my temp 3 times a day and in relation to the figures outlined in your sticky, its woefully low!
as low as 96.5 and the highest on only a single occasion has been 97.7
as you suspected I’m obviously ID
have you ever used the likes of Lugol’s Iodine 12% dispersed in water to rapidly build up the bodies levels again?
do you think this method has any merit

also since stopping the Anastrozole I have felt better on a daily basis, more energy and sharper if that makes sense
I didn’t feel bad before, I jmust have been acclimatised to my low E2 levels and the sides that was inducing
I will reintroduce the Anastrozole as you suggested

Once again thanks for your time and advice given, its already making a difference