Firing Judges: Typical?

The 3 month travel ban on 6 countries? I suppose you’re to young to remember the indefinite travel bans to the Eastern Block countries and the USSR?

Doze off for half a baseball season and the travel ban is done. Literally, it’s so short you can wait it out…

While I agree this ban isn’t as serious as other bans in the past, does the duration have any impact on whether or not it’s right/wrong? If the ban was for 3 years instead of 3 months, or 3 days instead of 3 months, how does that have any impact on the morality?

Huge difference. Duration and scope matter. Asigning meaning that it does not have based on appearance and conjecture is nobody’s fault but those assigning the mis-meaning. 3 of those countries should be indefinitely banned. Somalia, Yeman, and Sudan because they are lawless nations.
People want to be a muslim ban just so they can attack the administration. But the fact is the majority of muslim nations are not on the list.

To me it’s a political ploy, just a show of force. But it’s not a muslim ban, its a very temporary limitation on travel from some dangerous places.
Could determined enemies breach? Sure. But it’s more a message than a ban. And improved vetting, should that successfully happen, is a good thing.

It’s really a minor move and the left treat it like the sky is falling, which makes them look dumb. You want it to go away and have no effect? Ignore it and the teeth are removed.
You want it to work like a charm, call it “Absolute pandemonium!”
By the time you get you the protest off the ground it’s over. And you are protesting nothing.

The scope matters. It’s a minor ban and it should get the attention of a minor ban. Make a mountain out of a mole hill is a good way of looking like the fool.
Personally, for that reason I support the hysteria.
The more hysterical the left gets the worse and silly they look. The less power they will have in the future.

I say protest! Get violent! Break shit! Burn your own neighborhoodhood down and set fire to cop cars! The more the left does that, the less power they have. If they are willing to give away their power for free, I’ll take it…

1 Like

While I would love to agree with you, the main problem is Trump’s lack of communication and explanation as to the WHY. To my knowledge, Trump and his administration have dodged, at every turn, the question of what justification they have for adding/leaving a country to/from the list. Trump could have solved half of this uproar by explaining his process, and chose not to.

How about “Here’s why we left off the country that hosted nearly all of the 9/11 hijackers.”
How about “Here’s why I left out the countries that I happen to have businesses in, I have reasons other than my business”

Like with all things related to Trump’s lack of communication and details (nearly everything), he could give his reasoning and stop half the uproar, but he chooses not to. When you leave a population of 350 million people to speculate when they DONT HAVE TO you’re making your own bed.

As @Mufasa says (I love when he says this), Trump really needs to get in front of this.

2 Likes

I cannot argue with his pitiful communication skills. I cringe when he ‘speaks’ either allowed or through twitter. Like I have always said, I prefer someone who is more of a gentleman. He just happened to be the option to HRC, who I considered, for all of Trump’s faults, worse.
But whatever he’s doing, it somehow, weirdly works. I don’t attribute this to some sort of sneaky genius, just that there are more people who are like him than we ever thought. And now that they have a voice, they keep him upright in a hurricane and fury of dissent.

I don’t like the uproar, you don’t like the uproar and Mufasa doesn’t like the uproar, but I don’t know where he would be without it. It seems to make him stronger.Strange times we live in.

Agreed. That being said, this isn’t special to Trump. Politicians, by default, receive what is probably more negative feedback than any other profession on Earth. Without a huge wave of positive feedback in the form of supporters, they’d waste away within a week.

Except it doesn’t. A huge factor into the stopping of his first Muslim ban was his complete and total lack of communication. The first ban rollout was a complete and utter failure. Even if you agree with the scope of the first ban, the simple fact that it was shut down makes it a failure by definition.

As POTUS, he has the complete ability to TELL US WHY, and chooses not to. That leaves 2 options, first being that he doesn’t have a reason, and second he has a reason, but knows they won’t hold up to scrutiny, even amongst his base. Pick your poison.

Again I have to disagree. Imo, Trump EASILY peaked at a level of power in the days leading up to, and through his inauguration when so many people were full of hope. Since then, he’s been bleeding supporters that aren’t diehard. I can’t think of a single metric that would show he’s more powerful now than he was 3 months ago.

I cannot argue with that. The first attempt was a disaster, mass confusion, “dogs and cats living together…”

I didn’t really mean it in terms of popularity. He’s counting on the diehard’s to see him through, I reckon. I meant, he’s ramming policy through like a sledge hammer. The deregulations, immigration enforcement, Troops in Syria fighting ISIS (which is like a blip on the radar, hardly anyone noticed), now taking on obamacare, etc…

If you watch day to day, like we do, it’s painful to watch it play out. What will give him a 8 year term is if the things he does turns into jobs and prosperity peaking at the right time, then he can say ‘pussy’ as much as he wants.

I don’t seem him ‘bleeding’ support. The line seems to trend up and down between the 40 and 45% area. Beyond that, it hasn’t wavered that much.

I love those charts that show these massive fluctuations with lines moving all over the ‘Y’ axis, which looks impressive until you realize the Y axis they are showing is only 5 points high. You back that view to a 100 point Y axis and it’s more flat.
That shit doesn’t much matter right now. It’s going to matter a lot in 2019.

1 Like

That’s probably the scariest thought I’ve seen in a loooong time.

1 Like

Come on, @Aragorn, haven’t you ever read an Internet comments section?

2 Likes

I agree Pat…and I’ll make another prediction that I feel strongly about.

The only person who will be able to derail or “stop” Trump…is Trump himself.

As you said; there are more people just like him than anyone could have ever thought (which means, to me, that his support may remain low, but solid and dedicated to “the cause”); and many in the GOP have made the Faustian Deal to ultimately give him what he wants, because they will get some of what they want. (Health Care is proving sticky; but I think a “Hyoooge” deal will eventually be brokered between Trump and the GOP led Congress).

Again…only Trump stops Trump, especially if he is unable to keep his ego and paranoia in check.

Hah! I always kept sane by thinking most of the posters were just trolling. The ones on the FDA and threat from vaccines are the most frightening…

2 Likes

I feel like you may be counting the Dems out before the game even starts. After all, Trump got completely embarrassed in terms of the popular vote. Without HRC to demonize/rally against next time I can’t help but feel the next election will be leagues harder than the one he just squeaked out.

(In before millions of illegal votes)

Maybe partly…

As I said in a previous thread…Shumer and Pelosi have shown themselves to be absolutely RELENTLESS shits…and they are not intimated by Trump nor the Congressional majority one bit… (hell…I thought the Old Gal’ was on her last leg…but for every Trump pronouncement, Pelosi is out there with two counter-punches…).

With that said…FOR THIS TERM…I think the momentum is just too strong to derail Trump.

What that means to 2018 and 2020 is unclear.

That’s mass hysteria, not mass confusion. Venkman would be disappointed

1 Like

Good read nothing in the foreseeable near future will be derailing Trump.

I agree. Unfortunately Dems only vote when POTUS is up for grabs, so I foresee zero change to the Repub held majority. 2020 POTUS run is going to be a complete other story. Unless Trump lines his major accomplishments to hit right before election time, I don’t see a world in which he has such an easy road to the WH as before.

Your point is certainly valid, but remember the quote “It’s the economy stupid!” I realize we are very early in Trump’s term, but the stock market is on fire. IF the economy improves and people “feel” more secure about their future, I think he actually has a fairly easy road to a second term. Just to be clear, I realize that this is a big “if”.

Agree…

But Health Care is going to be a large part of this security people feel.

It’s now in GOP hands to either “get it right”…or screw it up Royally…

1 Like

That was implied to be a synonym to mass hysteria, not an addition to mass confusion… Well, that’s what I meant…

Eh, I have seen worse… Whether or not they share common threads with Trump, at least these people are blowing out windows, setting fire to police cars, rioting in the streets, etc.