T Nation

Firefox Questions

I’m a noob as far as computers go.
My son reckons installing Firefox will help me when getting on Paypal (I’m not interested in people slagging off Paypal: that’s another conversation).
I have a couple of questions, my email etc is all set up through Internet explorer (I’m using Vista if that’s relevent, with no obvious problems)

1st Q: can I install both Firefox and keep Internet explorer if I want to use either on any given day.

2nd Q: I use Mcaffee, will it work with either? I’m a bit paranoid about viruses.

Cheers

use Firefox. you’ll be fine.

1: You can keep them both.

2: I would say you can. Besides isn’t firefox safer than IE ?

3: You shouldn’t want to use IE. Why? Cause it sucks.

[quote]asusvenus wrote:

3: You shouldn’t want to use IE. Why? Cause it sucks. [/quote]

Sometimes you can’t avoid it. Many corporate websites and intranets may be set up for using specifically the IE browser. Same with some online bill pay options. Netflix’s streaming movie service is built specifically for IE7.

With that said Firefox is a much better browser than IE. Firefox much more intrinsically secure IE. It also runs faster and has a smaller memory footprint. However, if you are running a decent computer that has sufficient power and more than adequate hardware needed for the OS then these last two differences will be minuscule. Firefox also has a broader range of personal customization with an easier installation process. The customization is really what can take regular blah internet surfing or research and turn it into something much more enjoyable.

Plus if you’re really poor, you can get tamper data addon for firefox, and pay nothing online! ohh yeah!

Oh shi…

Firefox > IE

Yes to both questions. Viruses are pretty easy to aviod if you don’t open random emails, download warez or porn. Of course you learn what is bullshit and what isn’t over time.

Internet explorer is fail, Firefox is win.

Also, rid yourself of Mcaffee [sic] and get a better antivirus.

Get firefox.

Other than being safer and everything, it has tabs. Instead of opening a million different windows, it just opens up tabs in the same window and you can switch between the tab. Saved me a shit ton of frustration because now when rapidly clicking away porn my pc doesn’t freezy anymore…

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Also, rid yourself of Mcaffee [sic] and get a better antivirus.[/quote]

x2

McAfee anti-virus is terrible! I’m forced to use it at work and it pretty much grinds this PC to a halt at certain times of the day.

I’ve been using Avast on my home PCs for a few years now and much prefer that.

Google chrome is better than either option in my opinion.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Google chrome is better than either option in my opinion.[/quote]

+1.

I’ve used IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome, and Chrome is by far the best. So simple, yet so good.

BTW, you still want to keep IE on your computer, some sites and such won’t work with Firefox or Chrome.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Also, rid yourself of Mcaffee [sic] and get a better antivirus.[/quote]

+1

Mcaffee

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
Get firefox.

Other than being safer and everything, it has tabs. Instead of opening a million different windows, it just opens up tabs in the same window and you can switch between the tab. Saved me a shit ton of frustration because now when rapidly clicking away porn my pc doesn’t freezy anymore…[/quote]

I take it that it has been a while since you tried IE. IE has had tabs for a while.

I actually tried Firefox for a bit and then went back to IE. Currently running IE 8.2 beta. I found that from a raw install it has more functionality than Firefox and I couldn’t be arsed to fanny around looking for add-ons to give me the standard functionality that IE gives me out of the box.

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
Sick Rick wrote:
Get firefox.

Other than being safer and everything, it has tabs. Instead of opening a million different windows, it just opens up tabs in the same window and you can switch between the tab. Saved me a shit ton of frustration because now when rapidly clicking away porn my pc doesn’t freezy anymore…

I take it that it has been a while since you tried IE. IE has had tabs for a while.

I actually tried Firefox for a bit and then went back to IE. Currently running IE 8.2 beta. I found that from a raw install it has more functionality than Firefox and I couldn’t be arsed to fanny around looking for add-ons to give me the standard functionality that IE gives me out of the box.[/quote]

What functionality might that be? I haven’t seen anything IE do anything Firefox couldn’t do OTB, but then, I can’t be arsed around to find the extended features of a bloated, slow-performing, security-hole riddled, standard-ignoring browser.

-Dan

[quote]grappler_123 wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
Google chrome is better than either option in my opinion.

+1.

I’ve used IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome, and Chrome is by far the best. So simple, yet so good.

BTW, you still want to keep IE on your computer, some sites and such won’t work with Firefox or Chrome.[/quote]

Heh, Chrome looks like baby’s first browser. When I played with Chrome, it was pretty much a bare bones browser. Once you open more than one tab Chrome’s run speed and memory footprint increases making Firefox more efficient than both it and IE. Its customization was pretty limited and had no RSS feed options or a built in add blocker.

chrome, firefox, opera, IE
in order of preference.

[quote]Bujo wrote:
grappler_123 wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
Google chrome is better than either option in my opinion.

+1.

I’ve used IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome, and Chrome is by far the best. So simple, yet so good.

BTW, you still want to keep IE on your computer, some sites and such won’t work with Firefox or Chrome.

Heh, Chrome looks like baby’s first browser. When I played with Chrome, it was pretty much a bare bones browser. Once you open more than one tab Chrome’s run speed and memory footprint increases making Firefox more efficient than both it and IE. Its customization was pretty limited and had no RSS feed options or a built in add blocker.[/quote]

the idea behind chrome is to be simple. if i wanted a loaded up browser with a ton of options, i would just use ie. it doesnt run any slower with more tabs open, and my machine doesnt seem to strain to support the added footprint. and i also never get pop up adds in chrome. ever. maybe they changed it since you tried it out? dunno.

Yeah, have to hold onto IE for the odd website, like school’s email, otherwise it’s firefox all the way.

McAffee is like tits on a bull. USELESS! Agreed, drags on my pc’s speed and wasn’t even a speed bump in the path of Spy Guard 2008 / AV09.

I suggest firefox. There is actually an Add-on thing that lets you make some sites run on IE, while still being on firefox. So that solves your problem of sites that only work on IE.