T Nation

Firefighting Insight

Hello all. I’m a long time lurker but first time poster. A little background info, I’m 19, an avid lifter, and I’m attending college pursuing a degree in criminal justice/law enforcement. I am currently on the fence about what I want to do career wise though. I am interested in law enforcement but I have also been drawn to firefighting for quite some time. I was wondering if anyone on these boards could give me some insight into the process of becoming a firefighter, what I can do college wise (if my current path is okay), and any other things that might be handy in pursuing this career.

I have already considered volunteering at a local fire house on days where my class load is light. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bump.

Volunteering is fun. For full time I’m not sure. The nice full time places around here require a BS and EMT Paramedic and start at like 32K.

Supposedly volunteering is a good step to getting a full time job. It would at least help you decide if it’s something you want to do.

Or you could become a blue canary.

Go with FF…Society looks opon LE as still being the bad guys, and FF’s being the good guys.
Sad but true.
Consider the ‘hours’ too, because with FF your body clock will fuck with you often because you will
be woken up suddenly and have to rush to a fire while still half awake as opposed the more stable
hours of LE by comparison…healthwise in the long run FF’s regularly interrupted sleep hours
in the long run simply cannot be good for you, then again we NEED firefighters and always will.
With LE, think if you want to really waste precious time busting people for small amounts of Marijuana
possibly setting up silly sting operations to bust ‘nickel baggers’…It’s almost comical watching LE
on TV putting a GREAT and serious importance on such a thing.
Weigh the pros and cons of both careers, and good luck.

I am currently a firefighter. I love the job. If you are a hands-on type of person then it is more than likely a job you would like as well.

Volunteering is a good way to get a feel if it is something you want to do as a career. There are some aspects of the job no-one can tell you about regardless of how many forums you go on to. you have to experience it for yourself.

Your location is listed as Texas, so you need to check with your local firehouse what their requirements are and if there is a FIre academy close to where you live or not. Ask when they do intakes. Ask to volunteer. When you volunteer and they see you are keen to learn they might let you drill with them. See what skills and certifications are required in your State or County for you to become a Fire-fighter.

And the ladies love it.

[quote]D.law wrote:

And the ladies love it.

[/quote]

I can vouch for that.

Think of the physical labor too…with LE there isn’t as much compared to FF with roughly
the same pay.
Just another thing to consider, and women love LE too, but when you get married it’s not gonna
matter anyway because you can’t act on the adoration and cheat, at least you shouldn’t…lol.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]D.law wrote:

And the ladies love it.

[/quote]

I can vouch for that.[/quote]

I have seen the pictures of his panty drawer.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]D.law wrote:

And the ladies love it.

[/quote]

I can vouch for that.[/quote]

Shit now Orion will come in here and expound on game with Fire Fighters.

I work for a fire department in a rural area. With the exception of the chief, it is 100% volunteer. We pay for training (EMT, FF1, wildland, etc.) in exchange for a time commitment from the volunteer. If you can find such an agreement, this may be the way to go since you can get experience and certifications under your belt and also access to paid job postings. We have a couple volunteers who are hoping to make that transition. Good luck!

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
I work for a fire department in a rural area. With the exception of the chief, it is 100% volunteer. We pay for training (EMT, FF1, wildland, etc.) in exchange for a time commitment from the volunteer. If you can find such an agreement, this may be the way to go since you can get experience and certifications under your belt and also access to paid job postings. We have a couple volunteers who are hoping to make that transition. Good luck! [/quote]

hrm… I wonder if I could get mine to pay for EMT, they paid for EMR.

Firefighters: the best-paid transient resuscitators/truck washers in the world.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
I work for a fire department in a rural area. With the exception of the chief, it is 100% volunteer. We pay for training (EMT, FF1, wildland, etc.) in exchange for a time commitment from the volunteer. If you can find such an agreement, this may be the way to go since you can get experience and certifications under your belt and also access to paid job postings. We have a couple volunteers who are hoping to make that transition. Good luck! [/quote]

hrm… I wonder if I could get mine to pay for EMT, they paid for EMR. [/quote]

I don’t know what EMR is.

We’ve paid for EMT-B, EMT-A, EMT-I, and now two EMT-Ps. We do make the volunteers sign a contract, however, and if they don’t give back a certain amount of service (leave the department), they have to refund the training costs.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

We’ve paid for EMT-B, EMT-A, EMT-I, and now two EMT-Ps. We do make the volunteers sign a contract, however, and if they don’t give back a certain amount of service (leave the department), they have to refund the training costs.[/quote]

EMR is the new national first responder. It’s a little less than half the hours of EMT basic.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

We’ve paid for EMT-B, EMT-A, EMT-I, and now two EMT-Ps. We do make the volunteers sign a contract, however, and if they don’t give back a certain amount of service (leave the department), they have to refund the training costs.[/quote]

EMR is the new national first responder. It’s a little less than half the hours of EMT basic.[/quote]

Ahh, we just call that “First Responder.” That’s required for every volunteer here.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

EMR is the new national first responder. It’s a little less than half the hours of EMT basic.[/quote]

Ahh, we just call that “First Responder.” That’s required for every volunteer here.[/quote]

we’ve had that too, but it was always pretty unofficial and varied from what I understand. The EMR is a national certification (most states) with testing and licensing and maintenance training.

[quote]Bocat wrote:
Hello all. I’m a long time lurker but first time poster. A little background info, I’m 19, an avid lifter, and I’m attending college pursuing a degree in criminal justice/law enforcement. I am currently on the fence about what I want to do career wise though. I am interested in law enforcement but I have also been drawn to firefighting for quite some time. I was wondering if anyone on these boards could give me some insight into the process of becoming a firefighter, what I can do college wise (if my current path is okay), and any other things that might be handy in pursuing this career.

I have already considered volunteering at a local fire house on days where my class load is light. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks![/quote]

My best recomendation would be to go and do a ride along. This will give you the exposure to what a day is like (hopefully) and what interracting with a crew is like.

If this is a possibility, I’m not sure where in Texas you are at so you may have just volly departments around you. I say to do the ride along because I have seen people make a huge committment with schooling and put in the long hours to obtain certs and degrees. Only to find out that they don’t mesh well in the firehouse environment (if a person is a douche we will figure it out fast and make your life hell).

BTW - I’m a paid FF been doing this for almost 12 years now and wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. Even now that I work out of one of my departments busiest houses and most nights I’m on do not get a full night of sleep (3 hours before being woken up is our average).

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:
BTW - I’m a paid FF been doing this for almost 12 years now and wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. [/quote]
Which department? I’m in Colorado too.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:
BTW - I’m a paid FF been doing this for almost 12 years now and wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. [/quote]
Which department? I’m in Colorado too.[/quote]

I work in a northern suberb of the city. I’ll PM it to you.

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:
I’ll PM it to you.[/quote]
I don’t believe PMs work on here anymore.

Do you compete in PLing? If so, we probably know each other.