T Nation

Fired After Heckling Reporter

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/hydro-one-employee-fired-after-fhritp-heckling-of-citynews-reporter-shauna-hunt-1.3070948

http://globalnews.ca/news/1993793/mlse-willing-to-ban-anyone-yelling-fhritp-near-facilities/

It’s kind of funny to me that the guy got fired. I guess their bosses thought “this guy who works for me is an idiot. I did not know that”

Good.
No reason an adult male has to act like a fucking pig. And with all this talk about what is “alpha” on this forum, behaving like a 4th grader isn’t it.

See how it feels if some jackass said that to YOUR wife, GF, sister, or mother.

I agree with Clunk.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:
Good.
No reason an adult male has to act like a fucking pig. And with all this talk about what is “alpha” on this forum, behaving like a 4th grader isn’t it.

See how it feels if some jackass said that to YOUR wife, GF, sister, or mother.

[/quote]

Damn straight Clunk.

The pig deserves what he gets. Hope his mum scrubs his mouth out with soap.

A part of me thought ‘The punishment must fit the crime’ and losing your job when you are not clearly identifiable as an employee of a company seems harsh…then I watched the video again. Flush the turd!

So does your job own your free speech outside of work the workplace?

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
So does your job own your free speech outside of work the workplace?[/quote]

You want that guy working for you, representing the product you create and sell to the community?

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[/quote]

Exactly.

And if people think “it’s fucking funneeeeee!” that he got fired, well, you reap what you sow.

I worked with this one lady, sort of a ghetto type, but I liked her. She was out on maternity leave and where she lived was a drug factory that made the papers when it was raided. She was mentioned in the article although she was not charged. But her husband was.

When she reported to work after her leave was up, she was terminated on the spot. So I guess what you do on the outside can very well impact where you work.

Nope - he wasn’t jailed for speaking his mind, but there are consequences to actions and his employer chose to not employ him anymore due to his behavior. Again, they did not stifle his right to free speech. Apparently their values do not align with his…

My dad acts like this in public. I was getting a cell phone once and he started making comments like that. I yelled at him to sit in the car and apologized to the woman… Imagine growing up with that…

I do think corporations have too much power to dictate how you run your life outside of work.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
I do think corporations have too much power to dictate how you run your life outside of work. [/quote]

How so?

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[/quote]

Exactly.

And if people think “it’s fucking funneeeeee!” that he got fired, well, you reap what you sow.[/quote]

That’s hardly reaping what he sowed. His wife or that reporter screaming at him for being an ass would be closer. Losing his job for inappropriate behaviour outside of work is not the same thing, any more than him getting audited or losing his driver’s license would be reaping what he sowed. Especially since he is just some formerly faceless worker and not the public face of anything.

And let’s be honest, this only matters to the public because it was caught on cam and being posted everywhere. Simply social media crusade number 1000. If people were to be fired for inappropriate workplace behaviour outside of work, then you and 99% of the people on this site would be fired for what you post and how you act in your personal lives. Everyone would. If your job wants to control your life 24hrs a day, then they need to pay you for it. Not that what he did is able to be defended, but neither is what happened to him.

Not to mention the fact that if he was a politician and did this, he wouldn’t lose his job, just blame it on some flimsy excuse and make a public apology.

On a separate note, given the union he belongs to, I can see this firing being appealed once the public’s tiny attention span jumps on board something else.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
I do think corporations have too much power to dictate how you run your life outside of work. [/quote]

How so?[/quote]

Have you ever worked full time at a company? It is miserable enough sitting in an office 8 hours a day…But to be told how to behave when you are off the clock and not affiliated with your job? It is just moronic HR trolls and CEOs who are incompetent that dictate people should get fired for being themselves, even if they are drunk and stupid.

A person has the right to live how they want up to the point of breaking the law. Yeah, the guy is a disrespectful asshole, but did he deserve to lose his job and ability to get a another one over some drunk rant? No. If he drove drunk and hit someone he probably would have went to jail, but the implications would be far less because it probably would not have gone on social media.

The problem is people are so damn dumb and short sighted they don’t realize they ruined this guy’s life over a stupid but inconsequential mistake.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

The company isn’t telling people not to say these idiotic things. They are merely saying that they don’t want you if you do. There is no control, if you work for someone, that person is just as free as you are and if they don’t like you being a dumbass they are exercising their freedom to not employ you.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

The company isn’t telling people not to say these idiotic things. They are merely saying that they don’t want you if you do. There is no control, if you work for someone, that person is just as free as you are and if they don’t like you being a dumbass they are exercising their freedom to not employ you.

Why do so many people think that employees rights are more important than employers?[/quote]

Is this a serious question? I hope you aren’t that ignorant.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

How so?[/quote]

Have you ever worked full time at a company? [/quote]

Lol, yes… My current employer has a few billion in gross sales a year.

[quote]
It is miserable enough sitting in an office 8 hours a day…[/quote]

That was your choice, correct?

[quote]
But to be told how to behave when you are off the clock and not affiliated with your job? [/quote]

I’ve never been told this in the civilian world.

[quote]
It is just moronic HR trolls and CEOs who are incompetent that dictate people should get fired for being themselves, even if they are drunk and stupid. A person has the right to live how they want up to the point of breaking the law. Yeah, the guy is a disrespectful asshole, but did he deserve to lose his job and ability to get a another one over some drunk rant? No. If he drove drunk and hit someone he probably would have went to jail, but the implications would be far less because it probably would not have gone on social media. The problem is people are so damn dumb and short sighted they don’t realize they ruined this guy’s life over a stupid but inconsequential mistake. [/quote]

You didn’t actually answer the question.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

Why do so many people think that employees rights are more important than employers?[/quote]

Is this a serious question? I hope you aren’t that ignorant. [/quote]

Lol…

To answer the question concisely. It is a matter of human rights. I don’t follow my boss home and watch how he talks to his wife and kids. I don’t follow my coworkers and monitor what they do on the weekends. I certainly don’t think it is right for a company to exert that kind of power over the individual.

Speaking the language of the higher-ups, you waste money on diminishing returns monitoring and enforcing peoples behavior.