Firebug's Training Videos

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
Oh, holy hell woman! Has anyone ever told you that are you STRONG?! lol…duh, you probably already know that…
I like how fired up you are after the lifts…

If you don’t mind, could you give a brief history into all things Firebug? :slight_smile:

I remember you posting a long time ago(even in f-heit) but I don’t think I followed along…and Im sure there are many here would like to get to know you better as well!

Thanks Mom-in-MD,

Well, a brief history, huh? I am a 45yo mother of 4 grown children – three boys and one girl ;). Professional firefighter for the past 10+ years in a Dallas area fire department. I have been powerlifting for the past 8+yrs but have been in the gym, on a court or on a field for as long as I can remember.

In High School I played several sports – Soccer, Volleyball, Basketball and ran track. Live in a military town – Fort Hood Texas, as my other half was in the military for 23+ years, retiring last summer after some medical issues. Not sure what else you might want to know? Questions just ask.

Not my training, but an image I found very interesting. A couple of firefighters completed a marathon – in full gear(excluding the boots) air tank and all. Not sure if what I think – maybe kind of stupid, but hey atleast you know they have endurance!

[quote]Firebug9 wrote:
Not my training, but an image I found very interesting. A couple of firefighters completed a marathon – in full gear(excluding the boots) air tank and all. Not sure if what I think – maybe kind of stupid, but hey atleast you know they have endurance![/quote]

HAHA! Endurance is great, but can they lift and carry some heavy weight through a burning building, out a window, and down a ladder? Or is my ass just gonna burn?

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Firebug9 wrote:
Not my training, but an image I found very interesting. A couple of firefighters completed a marathon – in full gear(excluding the boots) air tank and all. Not sure if what I think – maybe kind of stupid, but hey atleast you know they have endurance!

HAHA! Endurance is great, but can they lift and carry some heavy weight through a burning building, out a window, and down a ladder? Or is my ass just gonna burn?

[/quote]

I agree. It is why I tend to lift heavy shit. Unless you are a wildland firefighter – where endurance is very handy, as all you get to fight fire in the beginning is a broom, shovel and if you are lucky alittle water.

The push press looks like fun.

Tonights squat training… did not go as well as last squat training. I went up to 285 for 4, but did not make depth. So I will stay with this weight next week and make depth on them

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Firebug9 wrote:

[/quote]

As long as they can carry 140 pounds, I’m happy!

[quote]MsM wrote:
[/quote]

It does look like fun.

Firebug, when doing the pus press, do you ever alternate which leg is out front?

[quote]Christine wrote:
MsM wrote:

It does look like fun.

Firebug, when doing the pus press, do you ever alternate which leg is out front?[/quote]

Yeah, I try but I do seem to keep the right one forward more often than not…dang, something I really need to work on.

Since I am so right side dominent, I am trying to make it a habit to consciously use my left side more, even when not in the gym.

Right now I am seeing a massage therapist attempting to work out problems caused by this imbalance. I even had to rearrange my desk so that I use my left side to reach for items.

Ok, so on Tuesday it was bleachers again – 100 trips up and down in 56 minutes. Not sure how much these are helping are hurting my lifting yet…only time will tell.

I did about an hour and fifteen minutes of warm up, abs, stretching and muscle activation prior to this:

What are you doing in the vids before DL-ing? Looks like a combo of an upright row that stops short of a clean.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
What are you doing in the vids before DL-ing? Looks like a combo of an upright row that stops short of a clean. [/quote]

The first three are snatch pulls and the second set are high pulls.

They would kill my shoulders, that’s for sure.

[quote]Firebug9 wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
What are you doing in the vids before DL-ing? Looks like a combo of an upright row that stops short of a clean.

The first three are snatch pulls and the second set are high pulls.[/quote]

Thanks for including them.

[quote]Christine wrote:
Firebug9 wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:

The first three are snatch pulls and the second set are high pulls.

Thanks for including them.[/quote]

Your welcome :wink:

OK, so here is most of last nights squat workout. Some how I did not get my 245 squats which were probably the best of the actual back squat part of the session. The 285 did not go as well as I was hoping for last night either. I think the bleachers are starting to take away from my squat.

Not sure what I am going to do about it yet – seems to be a requirement at my station. I will think on it and make a decision before next squat session. Any ideas or suggestions would be great as well! I did go up 55 pounds on the last 1/4 squat…405 is really heavy with out a suit and after every thing else

[quote]Christine wrote:
Since I am so right side dominent, I am trying to make it a habit to consciously use my left side more, even when not in the gym.

Right now I am seeing a massage therapist attempting to work out problems caused by this imbalance. I even had to rearrange my desk so that I use my left side to reach for items.[/quote]

What symptoms did you notice, particularly while lifting, before you began correcting the imbalance?

Firebug–I’m totally OCD about having my right and left feet forward for an even number of sets on OH press. :slight_smile: However, I feel that my lower back is much more supported, my lift just feels stronger in general, if my rear foot is on its toes. Is this OK, or am I cheating or setting myself up for some problem down the road? Or when I get around to lifting more will it be a nonissue?

Edit–anyone can answer this question, I was just commenting on the alternate-foot-forward issue she was talking about earlier.

[quote]Firebug9 wrote:
I did go up 55 pounds on the last 1/4 squat…405 is really heavy with out a suit and after every thing else

[/quote]

But you make it all look so easy!

Love the videos as usual.

[quote]sluicy wrote:
Christine wrote:

Right now I am seeing a massage therapist attempting to work out problems caused by this imbalance. I even had to rearrange my desk so that I use my left side to reach for items.

What symptoms did you notice, particularly while lifting, before you began correcting the imbalance?

Firebug–I’m totally OCD about having my right and left feet forward for an even number of sets on OH press. :slight_smile: However, I feel that my lower back is much more supported, my lift just feels stronger in general, if my rear foot is on its toes. Is this OK, or am I cheating or setting myself up for some problem down the road? Or when I get around to lifting more will it be a nonissue?[/quote]

While lifting, I just always knew one side was stronger. I was doing a lot of unilateral stuff to try and even myself out. But I had no real pain while lifting.

I would feel tight and and some pain in my right ass cheek during the day. Anyway, I just sort of ignored the pain and worked through it because it wasn’t too bad. The real pain started after having sex (subsequent to being celibate for longer than I cared to be). Somehow my leg got twisted in such a way that I couldn’t walk correctly for a bit. I gave it a few days, but I had real pain anytime I pushed myself or if tried to run.

Anyway, I got in to see an excellent massage therapist, and she is working out the big ole knot I have in my right ass cheek. I never knew massages could be so painful, but it has gotten much better since I’ve been seeing her.
There are points on my entire right side that she has worked on as well, the ass is just the worst of it.