T Nation

Firebug's Road to Recovery & Nationals

So I was cleared today to return to the gym and work ......... here goes nothing:

Tonight's training -- Squats

So I took it easy for my first night back in the rack.......

Bar x 6 for two sets, 95 x 8, 135 x 6, 185 x 4, 205 x 4 belt

suit straps down, wraps and belt 245 x 4, 275 x 2, 315 x 1

Weight felt fine. The only thing I felt really was my lats/underarm where they dug out the lymph nodes, breast itself felt fine............well mostly fine anyways.

Now tomorrow's bench might be a whole other story.........

Can't wait to see you there!

Today, was the first I heard in a 'round about way of your trouble.

I'm glad to see you back in the rack.

Thanks all. I am glad to be back. Still have a long journey ahead of me, but I am very hopeful of the outcome. Hopefully Nationals will go well..........or at least well enough. Then focus on the next phase of my treatment and manage lifting as best as I can during.

Glad you're back and posting a log in PW! I followed a bit over at IM and am thrilled you're back training. Look forward to following along.

For you, it's taking it easy. For me, it's busting ass!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. You already have a positive attitude and a fighting spirit. That's 99% of the battle right there. You won't need a GPS to navigate this road, the love and support of the people who hold you close will see you through that final 1%. Take care.

So glad you are back and you are able to continue with your training! I too, agree that "taking it easy" for you, is totally busting ass for me!!

Looking forward to following you to Nationals!

Thanks Momma............I am hoping that it stays that way thru Chemo and radiation. I think those are gonna be tough.......

But hey, I have wanted to drop some weight and change my hair style :wink:

So Tuesday nights bench training went pretty well:

Bar x 10, 65x10, 95 x 8, 115 x 8, 135 x 5, 150 x 4, 155 x 4, 160 x 2 for three sets

All the weights felt good. Felt better after benching than before. Stretched out some of the tight areas........

Wednesday night I took off

Thursday night training -- Dead Lifts............

135 x 10, 185 x 8, 225 x 6, 275 x 4, Belt 325 x 2, 345 x 1

These felt really good as well.

Currently I am only getting in the main lifts, no assistance stuff. I am pretty tired after the main session and I think it is better to work there and slowly add in the other stuff. Not to much at one time. The other thing is right now I am 4kg over weight for my class. I have decided that if I make weight great, if not that is fine to I will just move up the weight class. My body has enough stress on it right now without dropping calories and trying to drop weight.

Thanks -- right now I am happy that it looks like I will make nationals, and do ok!

Monday Nights Squat training........

135 x 6 for two sets, 185 x 4, (suit, wraps and belt) 240 x 4, 295 x 2, 340 x 1 -- this weight felt good, but my depth was not where it needs to be. All in all I am pleased to be lifting this heavy less than three weeks after surgery....

I am happy to see you strength is coming back so quickly. I am sure you will do better than ok at nationals :slight_smile:

Thanks Claire! I truly hope that you are right............ I just keep training and hoping.

I'm going to be following your progress quite closely in a non-stalkerish way of course. You really are an inspiration.

This may seem like an odd question but are you getting back into lifting quickly despite your surgury or are you doing it to get back to normalcy to help you recover more quickly. By recover, I mean more mental than anything to regain equilibrium in your life.

I hope that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense to me :wink:. I would love to honestly say it is all about equilibrium, but I am sure part of me is doing it despite my surgery. But the mental part is so much for this type of thing. Trying to live life as close as possible to what it was before is important in the recovery aspect as well as the treatment.

This has been an interesting training week! Monday was squats (think I posted that one already), Tuesday was bench in a shirt, Wednesday was work so Bleachers (and yes I did do them, well atleast walked most of them 60) and Last night Was Dead Lift in a suit (straps up!)

Tuesday Bench --
Bar x 10, 95 x 6, 135 x 4, 150x4, 165 x 2, shirt 185 x 3, 205 x 2, 220 x 1 with commands

Thursday Dead Lift --
135 x 8, 235 x 6, 285 x 4, suit straps down 340 x 2, was supposed to be 375 x 1 but the bar was miss loaded to 365 -- (heavy on the right side as it had the 25, but the left had a 10 and 5) with the suit straps up!

Training for the past week or so......

16 Jan Light Bench
Bar x 10, 95 x 10, 135 x 8, 160 x 5, 170 x 4 for four sets

18 Jan Cardio

Elliptical 25 min, stretching 30 min

19 Jan Squats

bar x 8, 135 x 6, 190 x 4
suit wraps and belt
250 x 4, 305 x 2, 340 x 1
straps up 350 x 1

ARP training after

20 Jan Cardio

Bleachers 30 min

21 Jan Bench

bar x 10, 115 x 6, 145 x 4, 175 x 2
205 x 2 to a 2 board
220 x 2 to a 1 board
230 x 1 with commands

22 Jan Dead Lift

135 x 8, 245 x 6, 295 x 4
350 x 2
straps up
385 x 1

All in all I am pleased with my progress given all the stress and such I have had over the past few months. I am learning to listen to my body a bit better and not going crazy over making weight this time. Which is a good thing since I am way over right now :wink:.

This weeks training has gone well so far...

Sunday Squats..........

Needed to squat on Sunday as I worked Monday and have a Dr's appointment on Wednesday.

Bar x 6, 135 x 6, 195 x 4
Suit (straps down), wraps and belt
255 x 4, 315 x 2, 345 x 1(close on depth)
Straps up
360 x 1 good!

Tuesday night Bench........

115 x 8, 145 x 6, 180 x 4 (last rep tough)
Shirt, belt
209 x 3 -- two board for the first rep, one board, then no board on the last rep

226 x 2 one board for the first rep, then no board

236 x 1 with commands - no board. I did not get my shoulders pulled in and back right, the lift was good, but more difficult than it should have been.

Did not do any cardio at work yesterday, between calls and breaking a tooth so I had to take some sick time and find a dentist to "fix" it...........no time or energy for cardio.

How did you break your tooth? For some reason, I'm very protective of my teeth. I'd probably protect them before my eyes.

How did your bench on Tuesday compare to what you've done in the past? I'm never going to have a big bench so I'm in awe of yours.

Eating Granola of all things.

Bench is about where it was before my last couple of meets -- but felt alot easier. I am looking to bench atleast 248-253 at nationals. But we will see.........