Firebug's New Road to the Gold Log

Thanks c., Olesya, Gill and Jack.

I hope everyone has had a great Thanksgiving!

Just got this link for video taken of my lifting at World’s…if anyone is interested. Feedback on form is greatly appreciated, as I am trying to improve and figure out how to hit my goal numbers.

Malinda

Well, I can’t offer advice, but can send my admiration.
I watched it twice, that must be an amazing feeling getting those medals.
Malinda, when you squat, where on your back do you rest the bar? I’m 6 weeks into using the olympic bar, and I find it hurts no matter where I rest it on my back.

My coach says to rest it on my traps, is it just a matter of building up some more meat back there? It’s not really bad, but I def. feel bruised for a day or 2 afterwards. Is that normal or am I placing the bar wrong? BTW, I’m not doing PL, right now I’m working on drop & clean.
thanks!
dianab

Dianab,

Yes, you want the bar on your delts if pl, or if you use a high bar position, on your traps. You will get used to how it feels in time. When it has been a while since I have lifted heavy I feel that bruised feeling as well.

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video – and yes it was difficult not to bawl like a baby on the medal stand. :wink:

Malinda

I’m in awe Malinda. There is such a difference between reading someone’s log and then actually watching them do it.

Obviously, I have no tips for you but I would like to join the others here and say congratulations.

Loved watching you receive your medals and it sent chills down my spine to hear the US anthem…I know I’m Canadian but we were almost the 51st state and I love my neighbours to the south.

Excellent work. You should be proud.

Susan

[quote]MsM wrote:

Loved watching you receive your medals and it sent chills down my spine to hear the US anthem…I know I’m Canadian but we were almost the 51st state and I love my neighbours to the south.

Excellent work. You should be proud.

Susan[/quote]

I’m with you there Susan, as a Canadian I am proud to see our neighbours excel in sport and to hear the anthem. It’s such a powerful moment.

Thanks Malinda, as long as it’s not just me feeling bruised, it must be normal. I’ll keep working on building up some bigger traps to give me a cushion.
thx
dianab

I don’t have any advice. Just WOW! You are awesome. Okay, I was all teary eyed too. How can you not be?

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Claire

[quote]firebug9 wrote:

Just got this link for video taken of my lifting at World’s…if anyone is interested. Feedback on form is greatly appreciated, as I am trying to improve and figure out how to hit my goal numbers.

Malinda[/quote]

Now that was fun to watch!! Your 3rd squat attempt scared me. But I’m a closet fearer of dumping my squats. You missed very gracefully :slight_smile:

I of course have no advice but will watch your video often for inspiration!

oh, and I think I would have tripped stepping up onto that platform to get my medal, and would have took out everyone with me…But that’s something I won’t have to worry about :wink:

Thanks for sharing!!
c.

Thanks Susan, Claire and c.!

Tripping on the medal stand will be an issue for ya some day c.! And thanks for noticing the gracefulness of my miss – I will hit that dang squat some time soon…

Thanksgiving was good. Two of the four kids were with me at my Mom’s for the day. My Brother was there so all in all a good day. I think it was the first time in over 20 yrs that my brother and I were home for a holiday at the same time.

Thanks for taking time to watch all…if you think of anything I need to change in form PLEASE let me know.

Malinda

WWWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!! Thanks for sharing the video, that was really cool! Congrats. Bren

Great video Malinda, awesome to actually get to see you in action and doing so great. Very cool video.

Damn impressive numbers, Malinda. And kudos for such precise goals too. I have no doubt you’ll nail them. Keep trucking.

[quote]firebug9 wrote:

Malinda[/quote]

That’s badass girl!!!

I wouldn’t presume to advise a women that can outlift me =], but will be cheering for your newest goals.

Good job

Malinda,
Impressive! A belated congrats on the victory!

I’m far from an expert, but the only thing I could think of was on your deadlifts perhaps you could set your feet apart a bit wider to allow your hips get a bit lower when starting the lift.

Thank you guys for taking time to watch the video – Bren, SP, Bigragoo, Tiribulus, marrjoyc and Djwlfpack.

DJ – thanks for the tip. I just watched Ian Kings guide to the dl and hope to implement some changes that will get me to a much larger number!

Malinda

[quote]firebug9 wrote:

Malinda[/quote]

No feedback, because your form looks just about perfect to me, after watching it about 5 or 6 times :slight_smile: Those are some amazing lifts. You rock.

Hey Malinda,
Hope it’s going well, are you going to be posting some of your workouts soon? You know I love seeing those big numbers.

Do you have any advice for me regarding what exercises I can do to improve my grip strength? My left hand is really weak. I never had to worry about grip before, but when I used wraps the 0-bar was much easier to snatch and clean.

My coach got all pissed and said it’s better if I just tie myself to the bar, but I’d like to be able to handle it better. Plus I can’t wrap my right hand once I wrap the left, is that even possible?

With big weight, I know I’ll need wraps, but I’m only using the 45 lb bar plus 15 lbs in plates, I think I should be able to handle those puny numbers without wraps.
thanks
db

Awesome video!

[quote]dianab wrote:
Hey Malinda,
Hope it’s going well, are you going to be posting some of your workouts soon? You know I love seeing those big numbers.

Do you have any advice for me regarding what exercises I can do to improve my grip strength? My left hand is really weak. I never had to worry about grip before, but when I used wraps the 0-bar was much easier to snatch and clean.

My coach got all pissed and said it’s better if I just tie myself to the bar, but I’d like to be able to handle it better. Plus I can’t wrap my right hand once I wrap the left, is that even possible?

With big weight, I know I’ll need wraps, but I’m only using the 45 lb bar plus 15 lbs in plates, I think I should be able to handle those puny numbers without wraps.
thanks
db[/quote]

Yes, I am going to be. It has been 6 days since I was in the gym as it was closed or I was at work.

As for your grip strength – have you tried plate holds. You pinch a plate with your fingers and hold for time. Start slow and build up your time and weight. Also, Deadlifts without the wraps will work your grip. You could also just hold the bar for time as well. Farmers walk will also work your grip.

Tonights training:

Squat, knee sleeves
bar x 4 x 2 sets
135 x 6
185 x 6
belt and knee sleeves
230 x 4
belt and wraps
285 x 3 x 3

Good Mornings
115 x 8
135 x 8
165 x 8

That was all the time I had for the night. Work tomorrow so off to bed for me

Malinda

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
firebug9 wrote:

Malinda

No feedback, because your form looks just about perfect to me, after watching it about 5 or 6 times :slight_smile: Those are some amazing lifts. You rock.

[/quote]

Thanks Yo Momma! Hope all is well with you…I think I need a guitar riff from ya to lift with!

Malinda

Thanks for the video. It was really cool to be able to watch, almost felt like we were there.
Diana