T Nation

Firebug's New Road to the Gold Log

My old log was tracking my journey to winning the IPF Master’s Worlds…well since that journey has ended, successfully, I thought it best to start a new log.

Last time I listed some goals - some I met and some I did not. This time will be no different and some of the goals are the same.

Goals for Nationals:

1. Squat 202.5 kg (445.5lbs)
  2. Bench 115 kg (253lbs)
  3. Dead lift 210 kg (462 lbs)
  4. Total 527.5 kg (1160.5)
  5. Decrease Body fat and maintain a bodyweight of 170-175
  6. Earn a spot on World Masters, Open World team and North American team

Power lifting meets for the year:

1. Nationals February 15-17th
  2. North American Championships June
  3. Firefighter Olympics July 15th (Possible Raw meet)
  4. Masters Worlds October
  5. Open Worlds November

Goals for Year

1. to increase my total each meet by no less than 5%
  2. maintain bodyweight of 170-175 while still decreasing body fat
  3. improve form both in and out of gear
  4. improve base strength
  5. Improve my mental game
  6. maintain a clean nutritional habit with bi-weekly cheat meals
  7. Learn to listen to my body, not forcing weights it is not ready for and at the same time not falling it to the “it is too heavy attitude” either.

Resting when my body tells me to and pushing harder when it is ready. This is a difficult area for me as I tend to push even when my body says it is not ready.( I think I have done better with this one this past year – but still not always there)

I will be using the AD/NHE eating style this year, starting on Friday! Hopefully I will post video’s of workouts monthly and take bf measurements once a month as well. I would(will) like to get down in the middle of my weight class and stay there, so as not to have to worry about making weight at any meet.

I carry way to much bodyfat in the abdominal region. Conditioning will also be an inbetween meet emphasis. Logging of daily workouts will be somewhat generic as I will be working with a trainer for the forseeable future, but I will still post a very general idea of what I am doing and the weights used. Like only if it was a squat day or such and the amount of weight. It is only fair to the trainer that his program remain his.

So here we go again! On the road to defending my titles and improving myself along the way.

Malinda

Looking forward to following you on all your new goals.
Diana

Those are some truly impressive numbers. Here’s to more great workouts in the gym leading up to your competitions.

Awesome goals Malinda. I will definitely be following along.

Claire

Awesome goals!
It’s nice to see that even the really powerful chicks get “it’s too heavy” syndrome sometimes. I though it was just beginners like me.
If you have any tips on improving the mental game, please share them. I’m sure it’s more in my head than my body.
I came into this forum way late to follow your last log, so I’m really looking forward to this one, I’m sure I can learn from your experience.
dianab

I see you are in for a busy year. Was this year as busy?

Good luck with everything!

[quote]dianab wrote:
Awesome goals!
It’s nice to see that even the really powerful chicks get “it’s too heavy” syndrome sometimes. I though it was just beginners like me.
If you have any tips on improving the mental game, please share them. I’m sure it’s more in my head than my body.
I came into this forum way late to follow your last log, so I’m really looking forward to this one, I’m sure I can learn from your experience.
dianab[/quote]

Trust me I have many “shit this is heavy days”. I just hope it is not when I am on the platform at a meet. LOL

Improving the mental game is a touchy subject, as it is different for everyone and yes the lifts all start in the head. IF you think you can not do it – guess what YOU can’t.

Thanks – I hope to help someone, besides myself along the way. I learn alot from everyone and only hope to give back alittle in comparison.

Malinda

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Those are some truly impressive numbers. Here’s to more great workouts in the gym leading up to your competitions.[/quote]

Thanks alot – I am hoping to beat those goals by alot.

Malinda

[quote]cvb wrote:

Claire[/quote]

Thanks Claire…How are ya doing today?

[quote]marycler wrote:
I see you are in for a busy year. Was this year as busy?

Good luck with everything![/quote]

I attended all but two of those meets - the firefighter one and open worlds. Instead of lifting at the firefigher meet I went to a different meet and helped lifters and I did not make the open team(was an alternate but not on the lifting roster).

Malinda

I’m excited about the new log too. I came in a little late to keep up with the last one.

Care to share a little about the diet? What is NHE? AD is anabolic diet, right? I’m assuming you’ve had a good experience with it so far? I want to lose a few pounds, but have a tendency to do it the wrong way.

Hope you achieve all your goals!

[quote]firebug9 wrote:
cvb wrote:

Claire

Thanks Claire…How are ya doing today?[/quote]

Much better. I manage to sleep last night and didn’t get sick:) Still trying to figure out why my lower body is sore from my upper body workout.

Our bench goals are almost the same:) My bench goal is 254lb. The national record for my age group is 253.5lb.

Claire

Great goals Malinda and I will be following along with interest.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
I’m excited about the new log too. I came in a little late to keep up with the last one.

Care to share a little about the diet? What is NHE? AD is anabolic diet, right? I’m assuming you’ve had a good experience with it so far? I want to lose a few pounds, but have a tendency to do it the wrong way.

Hope you achieve all your goals![/quote]

NHE is very similar to the AD(anabolic diet), NHE stands for Natural Hormonal Enhancement. It is low carb with two carb up/four carb up meals a week. They are spread three and then four days apart - and it is either one or two meals depending on your carb tolerance. Very interesting read.

Here is the link to the site:

www.extique.com

I like the AD, but have a tendency to over do it on the carb up weekends…so I am thinking about trying the NHE to see if it is easier for me to control.

Malinda

[quote]cvb wrote:
firebug9 wrote:
cvb wrote:

Claire

Thanks Claire…How are ya doing today?

Much better. I manage to sleep last night and didn’t get sick:) Still trying to figure out why my lower body is sore from my upper body workout.

Our bench goals are almost the same:) My bench goal is 254lb. The national record for my age group is 253.5lb.

Claire[/quote]

I am glad you are feeling better today. I would love to hit that number as well, as it would break the National record for my age and weight class too. :wink:

Malinda

[quote]Sick Puppy wrote:
Great goals Malinda and I will be following along with interest.[/quote]

Thanks! Hope classes are going well.

Tonights light workout as I will be force to take the next three days atleast out of the gym (working a double and Thanksgiving) and may have to take friday as well as the gym is closed. We might get to workout, but it is not set in stone yet.

Squats – knee sleeves
bar x 5 x 2
115 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
belt and sleeves
225 x 5
belt and wraps
275 x 3 x 3

Good mornings
115 x 8
135 x 8 x 2

That was all for today…

I will start my training cycle for Nationals this weekend. It will be 12 weeks out then.

Malinda

was starting to miss your workouts.

whew.

glad they’re back :slight_smile:

and with new fun goals!

c.

Malinda, you absolutely ROCK!

Those numbers are kick-ass…can’t wait to follow along.

Olesya

Malinda, I know I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again, and will continue to say it over and over as long as you keep lifting that bar (which I imagine will be for a long time to come).

You rock and you inspire me. Simple as. Stay strong :wink:

Malinda,

Keep up the good work.

Happy Thanksgiving!

jack