Fire in South East Australia

Anyone else here in South East Oz’?

I’m right in the midde of the busy patch a few km’s East of Melbourne.

Cinders and ash is falling around my house.
There’s a thunderhead going through starting lightening fires, and the small amount of rain in brought is full of ash.

There’s a township not too far that’s lost about 80% of it’s homes and another a little further than that lost at least 12 people.

My brother evacuated when 4 foot long buring bark started landing around his home.

Friends have lost buildings.

We’re watching it along the ridge now, but unless there’s a wind change we’re told we’re not on the highest alert. so we’re watching and waiting.

My wife and I are taking watch in shifts.

Just an update

38 confirmed deaths.

Still safe but watching.

Been in that situation and don’t wish it on anyone. Best wishes and hope you come out alright.

Latest update.

50 confirmed dead.
650 homes destroyed.

Still safe and watching.

65 confirmed dead.

84 confirmed dead.

There’s a bus full of people missing, and a lot of others missing.

The death toll might not be known for weeks and is expected to hit over 100.

Good luck over there mate. I live in Adelaide and we’ve been bloody lucky with fires this year considering the heat.

Good luck man, hope you and yours come out alright.

93 dead.

We’re still OK and still watching.

The weather is on our side.

About 850 houses are gone.
One small town of about 2,000 people was left with three buildings standing.

I don’t know how we’ve been spared so far. We stood in the main road and watched a plume of smoke darken the sky, then the wind changed.

For a little while we were seeing burnt housing insulation fall in the township, from houses 20km away.

I need a good nights sleep.

My thoughts go out to you your family and the affected people of Victoria. Most of all, my hat goes off to the thousands of volunteer firefighters and emergency services personnel.

I was caught up in the Canberra fires and it’s not something you would wish on anyone. I remember at the time a wave of relief washed over as i heard the sound of rain only to walk outside to see it raining smouldering ash, bark, burning leaves and embers.

At 3pm it was like night the air thick with smoke, everything was lit by light of the approaching fire and streetlights. The roar of the fire and wind where thunderous, it was unbelievable.

I cant imagine what it was like for the residents of the towns wiped from the map. 350,000 hectares burned and a over a hundred lives lost and counting. And to think up north we’ve got more than a million square kilometres of Queensland submerged in floodwater.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/09/2485840.htm

Death toll is still climbing at 126 people now confirmed dead. RIP

[quote]NZ firefighters to join battle in Victoria
09/02/2009 11:08:03

A hundred New Zealand firefighters are set to join the battle against the devastating bush fires in the Australian state of Victoria.

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says he will take up Prime Minister John Key’s offer of 100 firefighters. Britain has also offered help.

The death toll has risen to 108, with at least 750 homes destroyed. It surpasses the 75 people killed on Ash Wednesday in 1983 and the Black Friday fires of 1939 when 71 people died.

Mr Rudd has warned his nation to brace itself for the full impact of the fires.

“These numbers are numbing in terms of those who have lost their lives and ah, I fear they may rise further.”[/quote]

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdetail1.asp?storyID=152251

Cheers to New Zealand. I’m sure the trained personnel will be invaluable in reliving exhausted local fire-fighters, some of whom have lost everything but continue fighting.

130 dead

Over 700 houses.

We’re on alert right now and ready to evacuate.

I’m in the township of Warburton, right at the edge of thousands of square km of state forest.

Still safe.

Thanks you all for your wishes for us.

Have just got back from Beechworth after fighting the fires there, have a mate who has a cattle property there, lots of stock loss as well, been shooting cattle that have been badly burnt i stopped counting after fifty.

What has happened in other parts has been terrible, Sat night was a complete firestorm. My thoughts go out to those who have lost innocent family members and friends.

Am heading back this late this afternoon, this shit ain’t finished.

[quote]aussie486 wrote:

Have just got back from Beechworth after fighting the fires there, have a mate who has a cattle property there, lots of stock loss as well, been shooting cattle that have been badly burnt i stopped counting after fifty.

What has happened in other parts has been terrible, Sat night was a complete firestorm. My thoughts go out to those who have lost innocent family members and friends.

Am heading back this late this afternoon, this shit ain’t finished.
[/quote]

Take care.
Post again as soon as you get back.

166 dead.

Good luck everyone there. Don’t take anything for granted. It can happen anywhere, especially with some moron arsonists running around.

Years back in the big Sydney fires, came back to my house to find some stupid kids lighting a fire in the grass next to my house. WTF! ran off the little bastards. Anything can happen anywhere at any time, so stay sharp.

More coming and some really sad stories.

One fella in Yarra Glen lit a fire which got put out…
so he went back later and re-lit it.

Ttinkerbell how is your status. Just looking at the CFA fire maps, seems the blazes to the north of Warburton are now listed as controlled. A fair few blazes just north of Healsville according to the sentinel website.