Fippin' Tires

So, courtesy of the farm down the road, I’ve procured two tractor tires for flipping play.
They’re both Goodyears, labled as 23.10. One is 10 ply, one is 8.
The 10 ply has its tread worn almost smooth, so to pick it up I have to dig my hands under it completely and get really low.
The 8 ply is almost new as far as tread, so I wind up gripping the ‘V’s’ to lift.
Question is, what’s better, is there a difference?
I’ve been going for a sort of a power clean with tire (if you can picture that), is this a good habit to get in or is there a better way to lift a tire or does it really matter?
Also, do any of you vets have a rough idea of weight?
Thanks.

Well, as one who has recently started this tire-flippin’ thang, I’ve been using this thread as my reference:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;?id=296261&pageNo=0

From what I’ve seen of his posts, Sully knows his stuff…

However, if the tire is of smaller dimensions, it becomes interesting getting your chest into the tire; I find that my arms then tend to take more of the brunt, and sometimes get a little beat up.

I, too, would appreciate anyone else’s thoughts on the subject.

-FC

cool link. Seeing reminded me that I’d found that before and lost it, good to see it again, I liked seeing his form.
My tires are both essentially as tall as I am–although that’s not saying a lot 5’8"ish–and most of the time I can drive right through it without resting on my chest. I only have to rest after the 6th rep or so.
What’s your tire?
So I went to the Goodyear web page (yay brainiac!) and my tires are around 350-400 pounds, best I can tell.
So I guess that qualifies them as aerobic tires!

I think my tire may be much the same… It’s a Bridgestone offroad wheel crane tire that also weighs 350-400 pounds. I tend to flip it a number of times and then jump rope in-between sets.

Yeah, I understand about being able to drive through without resting the tire on anything… What I was trying to get at with the chest comment is that it seems to me that, at the very beginning, Sully has his chest into the tire and drives more forward than up. If the width of the tire is not of sufficient height, you end up almost parallel to the ground, and work against yourself; therein lies the problem.

Of course, I could be totally out to lunch on this one; tire flipping methodology is not something I have looked into as much as I should. Lemme’ know your take.

-FC

my take is that I really don’t know!
Thanks for your take though!