T Nation

Finnish Deadlifting Secrets!

Happened across an article that I thought some of you might find of interest. I don’t think there is anything new about the information to those who have been around. Then again you never know.

Enjoy:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/finnish-deadlift-secrets.htm

Very nice article. Lots of information all in one place.

Thanks, Zeb.

Great article.

Did anyone else notice how they emphasized staying relaxed. Seems like everyone else (including T-Nation) says you should be tight. Just an observation.

Thanks Zeb

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
Great article.

Did anyone else notice how they emphasized staying relaxed. Seems like everyone else (including T-Nation) says you should be tight. Just an observation.

Thanks Zeb[/quote]

Yea, I thought that was interesting.

I’m Finnish, and I can tell the another one secret call “Perkele” (literally means as “the devil”, or “satan”). It’s the magic word, that finnish deadlifter louds, if bar starts weighted a ton. It helps remember the feeling, that you never give up, until your back is broken! I seen many great deadlifts, and honestly many with very loud yell - Perkele! (like my trainig partner but with little less weight…)

I can’t tell if you’re being serious or just fucking around, but I’m going to try it anyway.

How is that pronounced?

[quote]temppa wrote:
I’m Finnish, and I can tell the another one secret call “Perkele” (literally means as “the devil”, or “satan”). It’s the magic word, that finnish deadlifter louds, if bar starts weighted a ton. It helps remember the feeling, that you never give up, until your back is broken! I seen many great deadlifts, and honestly many with very loud yell - Perkele! (like my trainig partner but with little less weight…)[/quote]

As for the relaxed shoulders, it doesn’t really mean slack, it means that you shrug your shoulders down with your chest, and even round your UPPER back. Your hips can start 3 inches higher that way. Dave Tate said it made a big difference for him.

And Vince Anello clearly used this technique. That’s 800 pounds at 198! And check out his foot placement. He basically shot up a couple inches with the quads and the straight legged it.

[quote]wtf wrote:
I can’t tell if you’re being serious or just fucking around, but I’m going to try it anyway.

How is that pronounced?

temppa wrote:
I’m Finnish, and I can tell the another one secret call “Perkele” (literally means as “the devil”, or “satan”). It’s the magic word, that finnish deadlifter louds, if bar starts weighted a ton. It helps remember the feeling, that you never give up, until your back is broken! I seen many great deadlifts, and honestly many with very loud yell - Perkele! (like my trainig partner but with little less weight…)

[/quote]

It’s apparently a real word.

The Finns assumed the name perkele to refer an evil spirit (not being on good terms with the Lithuanians at that time). Later with Christianity they also co-opted him for one of the titles of satan. perkele is also the commonest swearword in the Finnish language; and frequently the first word taught to foreigners. (It is pronounced roughly PEAR-kell-LEH)

So, sounds like temppa is trying to teach us some dirty words in Finnish. Multilingual swearing is always useful. You can read more about it here:

http://www.wordlookup.net/pe/perkele.html

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
And Vince Anello clearly used this technique. That’s 800 pounds at 198! And check out his foot placement. He basically shot up a couple inches with the quads and the straight legged it.[/quote]

Outstanding photo!

that’s crazy

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
wtf wrote:

How is that pronounced?

temppa wrote:

It’s apparently a real word.

The Finns assumed the name perkele to refer an evil spirit (not being on good terms with the Lithuanians at that time). Later with Christianity they also co-opted him for one of the titles of satan. perkele is also the commonest swearword in the Finnish language; and frequently the first word taught to foreigners. (It is pronounced roughly PEAR-kell-LEH)

So, sounds like temppa is trying to teach us some dirty words in Finnish. Multilingual swearing is always useful. You can read more about it here:

http://www.wordlookup.net/pe/perkele.html[/quote]

I’m toutched by that! Someone knows Finnish swearings! I just sayin that sometimes swearing and “calling an evil spirit” may helps a good performance…

About finns and deadlifting, it seems that we had a hate and love, what comes about deadlifting. There are common that PL meet results have bigger DL than SQ (maybe we look more ape than man…).

And lot of powerlifter here in Finland uses as much, or even more time deadlifting, than squatting.

Now I know I love Finland.

I love the pleasure and pain of a good deadlift.

In fact I’m going to the gym today to do as many singles as I can possibly do.

I’ve read that article and it kicks ass.

I wish Dave, Jim, and the rest of the crew at Elite Fitness had more time to write up new article they are not only very informative but also damned entertaining.

Understanding about finnish Deadlifting secrets, you must understand the nature of finnish men. there you find some lyrics how fins living…

http://users.tkk.fi/~rvilmi/Project/Culture/Suomi_Finland_Perkele/cultlyri.html

Those Finnish lyrics are funny stuff.