T Nation

Finishers/arnold

I am currently reading “Pumping Iron” and of course I am totally blown away by the pictures of Arnold. Anyways, since reading
Shugarts(I think) article on some of Arnolds training techniques/finishers i have been wanting to try incorporating some of them in to my routines every once in a while for a good kick in the ass. So my questions is how would I incorporate them. I am thinking that a good way would be to do one or two for a lagging body part on the last day of a 3 or 6 week routine and then take a week off. Am I totally off base here or does this sound like a good idea? Has anyone used htese with any good success? Let me know
:slight_smile: Groove

Bump

That does sound like a good idea. Hitting the lagging bodypart with some intense work right before a rest period. Only thing is, I wouldn’t do it while you were on a diet. Arnold’s principles are often quite brutal and result in significant tissue damage, probably too much to be doing while in a hypocaloric state.

Yah, I agree. HA! 21’s on a 1400 a day diet, not likely. Maybe I can do them lifting pillows. or marshmallows.
I was thinking for more in the future during a hypertrophy phase.

Exactly. At 1400 calories a day, 21s actually don’t result in overtraining or catabolism. What happens is that your body simply, spontaneously, explodes. I saw it once, nasty sight!

finishers for one day would produce negligible if any improvement. My gut feeling is that any of these books is a bit a fiction rather than a diary. How well would a book sell if it said, “I rarely stray from the basics except when bored or when I have a lot extra in the tank”? What have you that is lagging?

I didn’t get the idea from a book,I got it from chris shugarts article “Ressurecting the OAk” The idea of finishers is to shock the body with something new and very hard to spur further growth. I would think one day would do this fine. If this was something you could do for more than one day, say for six weeks then it wouldn;t be a finisher, it would be a program. I will try it after a hypertrophy phase and see what happens.

Good luck with it. I will have to read the article, not to judge it. I have doubts about a one time occurrance, 24 hour arm cure et al, being very effective. What works for one may not for another. What is your plan of action, curiously?

I am not sure about a plan of action yet, that is why I posted to see what other people have tried or gotten results with.
I do recommend reading the article, even if you don;t think it would work(and I’m not talking about gaining 10 pounds in one workout either) it is still a cool read because of some of the insane things arnold would try.
I am dieting down with some success right now, and I’m not sure how much longer I will be on the diet. Probably at least another month, after that I will transition to a hypertrophy phase(Probably Ian’s 12 week for legs and upper body) on the last workout of the twelve weeks I will do one of the finishers and take an active rest week. I will probably do a chest finisher because it is one of my weak points. I’ll let ya know how it goes.
:slight_smile: groove

read both, still unconvinced. I could never see myself gong back to the archaic training a bodypart once per week. 21’s, running the rack, strip sets, pre-exhaust. The smallest guys at my gym of econimically and conservatively sized guys are doing these things. I am not a (s)HIT HEAD. But to me, a sensable specialization would occur over weeks, rarely, and with an equal amount of attention paid to its antagonist in the same plane. If you do get tremendous results, write up a summary of your lead in to it and what you did. I hope you get what you are looking for, but I have to pass.

Luckily I don’t have to convince you it will work, just my muscles. lol. However, I think I should point out that this isn;t meant to be HIT and I also think that that training idea is ridiculous. It is meant to go on top of the training as a sharp increase in volume to shock the muscles into growth. Possibly this could be good for busting through a plateau. It may not be the best way and we all know Arnold had the best genetics and lots of anabolics but I would also like to point out that programs like Ian’s “great Guns” an arms specialization program designed for 12 weeks does utilize 21’s, with great success I might add. I loved that program. I am going to try this more out of curiosity than anything else. I think I owe it to myself to get firsthand experience rather than listen to other people. we’ll see what happens.