Finished Smolov.jr [Bench] When to max?

Just finished a smolov.jr for bench with input max as 220 lbs and increased to 220 lbs for the last 10 set today as i had it in me.

When should I max out?

And an additional question concerning nutrition:
Does nutrition matter if you complete the program even in a deficit? Would you max more if u ate well the three weeks than if u ate bad but still completed the program?

Thanks.

Similar to smolov base, it should be fine to take a week off before maxing out.

Regardless of what you hit for your true max, I would recommend to increase your training max by a conservative amount compared to your true max. For example, even if your true max went from 220 to 245, it might be a smarter decision to only increase your training max to 230-235.

Nutrition matters regardless of whether you’re gaining, maintaining or losing weight. It’s likely you would do better but that’s hard to predict by how much or if it’s even noticeable.

“When the body is used to going heavy all the time, taking even a couple days off might mess with you. On the flip side, if you just keep lifting heavy until the max day, you might show up fatigued and leave a few pounds on the platform.”

I found that on this page in an article bout pros and cons about high frequency training. Thats what im worried about that I will wait too long and miss out on my best rm lol.

[quote]malingo wrote:
“When the body is used to going heavy all the time, taking even a couple days off might mess with you. On the flip side, if you just keep lifting heavy until the max day, you might show up fatigued and leave a few pounds on the platform.”

I found that on this page in an article bout pros and cons about high frequency training. Thats what im worried about that I will wait too long and miss out on my best rm lol. Im hoping to [/quote]

I think that quote is related more to high frequency/high intensity work, similar to daily squatting. It seems like people only need a few days off to hit a max since they don’t accumulate as much fatigue with that type of training. What you did is high frequency/high volume so the week off will help remove a higher amount of fatigue accumulation and you will perform better with more recovery time.

It doesn’t really matter if you hit a max or not because you put in the work and built some muscle from all that volume. After a week (regardless of whether you hit a 1RM or not), move on to a program with lower frequency/volume work and allow your body time to recover. Add a conservative amount to your training max and don’t get greedy or you won’t allow yourself time to recover and you’ll go backwards. Slowly ramp up intensity and try not to touch 90+% within 2-3 weeks of hitting your 1RM. Take a break from intensity during your volume phase and take a break from volume during your intensity phase.

Wow i maxed out today,got 264 pretty with no grind.

245 felt like warmup 254 felt not too heavy tried 264 was heavy but no grind.

Sickening. I’ve never done more than 225 either.

Im now going to do smolov for squats : )

I can’t speak for the programming since I have never followed one of those from online. But as for the eating, you will always gain more strength eating more compare to not eating enough with all other things being the same.Idk if you meant not eating healthy when you said bass but I’m not a strong believer in eating very healthy, though I have a hard time gaining weight. I eat take out at least once a day during the week. When looking to get as much as you can from a program it’s a good idea to up your food intake a tad you may not even gain weight depending on your body but it’ll give you a better chance to gain more from the program. Hope I Andrews your second question. Hard to remember since I can’t see it while responding.