Finished Living Like This

Looking it over, you are 6’0 at 187. Targeted fat loss is not a good goal. You should eat along Berardi guidelines for hunger and lift hard, using any program on this site. You will gain muscle and lean out and soon be ready to up the calories and do a real bulk. Or even if you decide not to, you will be bigger, leaner, fitter, and feel better at that point and in a better place to do decide what you want to do.

The immediate answerr to this type of problem is…do anything other than what you are doing right now.
Here’s your plan - look at Lonnie Lowery’s thread about Ripped City & start doing pre-breakfast cardio TOMORROW morning. Get stuck in straight away. That will start your fat loss.
There is no point in doing cardio & eating shit food because that defeats all your hard work. So…commit to removing all the rubbish from your diet. You know what those wrong foods are.
Right - cardio sorted, nutrition sorted, now just start lifting weights. Don’t worry about a plan for the time being, just lift anything & enjoy it.
the combination of cardio, clean food, & weights will get your fat off, make you look good & make you feel great. Your next thread will be how to fight off too many women.
Get started immediately & you will be successful :slight_smile:

What you have my friend is a case of paralysis by analysis.

You need to get off your ass and DO something, as many of the people on here have said.

I echo JSBrooks statement, at 6’1" and 187lbs and as you said with a fairly high BF % then you do not have a “decent base of muscle”.

What I suggest is that you start to follow Berardi’s diet advice, eat clean but do not cut, I suggest eating at maintenance or thereabouts and picking a program, work out hard, in couple of months you will notice a difference in body comp. You will probably have some newbie gains in muscle and even lose some fat too.

Then when you feel a bit better about yourself and are starting to understand yourself and your goals a bit better then you can re-evaluate and adjust accordingly.

Stu.

Why does everyone think that bulking means turning into a fat fuck? If you really think that then you have no idea how to go about it. The idea of a bulk is to gain as much MUSCLE as possible, and not worrying about gettin smooth, not a fuckin bulk belly. And if you’re doing it right you should be seeing increase in muscle size along with lost leaness. Even at the height of my bulks (currently on my second ever bulk at 5’11" 200lbs and 19 years old, and want 220-225 by feb) I still have pronounced traps, delts, biceps, especially legs, and a smooth but contoured chest.

If you’re gaining muscle it should look like it. And stop thinking that bulking will make you fat. To be honest I look better clothed when i’m bulking and thats even in tight shirts. Listen man start following some of berardis eating tips and lifting hard, you SHOULD be gaining weight because if your body fat percentage is that high at 187 and that height you won’t be have any muscle to expose anyways. Just start getting about 200g of protein a day and fill the rest in with good fats and good carbs (some sat fats is needed too just don’t go crazy) I would say start your cals close to 3000-3500 and see how you start gaining if it’s too fast and too much fat back it off, if you don’t gain a lb at all in 2 weeks, guess what you do, the OPPOSITE.

Now here is the beauty of it, it’s not rocket science, figure out how much you should have over 6 meals to reach your cal and protein goals and just remember it. Try and get that everyday, and if you need to adjust, add or take away from each meal (DO NOT TAKE AWAY PROTEIN).

Thats it. Now seriously, try gaining some muscle, because even if you don’t get the girl you can stomp your best friend out.

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
Why does everyone think that bulking means turning into a fat fuck? If you really think that then you have no idea how to go about it. The idea of a bulk is to gain as much MUSCLE as possible, and not worrying about gettin smooth, not a fuckin bulk belly. And if you’re doing it right you should be seeing increase in muscle size along with lost leaness. Even at the height of my bulks (currently on my second ever bulk at 5’11" 200lbs and 19 years old, and want 220-225 by feb) I still have pronounced traps, delts, biceps, especially legs, and a smooth but contoured chest.

If you’re gaining muscle it should look like it. And stop thinking that bulking will make you fat. To be honest I look better clothed when i’m bulking and thats even in tight shirts. Listen man start following some of berardis eating tips and lifting hard, you SHOULD be gaining weight because if your body fat percentage is that high at 187 and that height you won’t be have any muscle to expose anyways. Just start getting about 200g of protein a day and fill the rest in with good fats and good carbs (some sat fats is needed too just don’t go crazy) I would say start your cals close to 3000-3500 and see how you start gaining if it’s too fast and too much fat back it off, if you don’t gain a lb at all in 2 weeks, guess what you do, the OPPOSITE.

Now here is the beauty of it, it’s not rocket science, figure out how much you should have over 6 meals to reach your cal and protein goals and just remember it. Try and get that everyday, and if you need to adjust, add or take away from each meal (DO NOT TAKE AWAY PROTEIN).

Thats it. Now seriously, try gaining some muscle, because even if you don’t get the girl you can stomp your best friend out.[/quote]

Good post. There are way too many skinny fuckers on this site trying to stop people from gaining any muscle. No one here thinks everyone wants to look liek Rponnie Coleman. There is a shit load of difference between that extreme and being skinny as hell. Why is it only newbies seem to think in extremes?

dude you’re giving yourself waay too much credit. what you know about is frustration, but you don’t know shit about eating or lifting. what’s holding you back is the fact that you think you do. so get rid of it. stop reading. the map is not the territory.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Good post. There are way too many skinny fuckers on this site trying to stop people from gaining any muscle. No one here thinks everyone wants to look liek Rponnie Coleman. There is a shit load of difference between that extreme and being skinny as hell. Why is it only newbies seem to think in extremes?[/quote]

I don’t think that the noobs are really scared of looking like coleman, but rather like a heavy weight powerlifter with relatively bad body comp.

Note to powerlifters: Yeah I know the lightweights look good and so to do some of the heavyweights, but you have to admit that there are some horrible looking heavyweights. And those are the ones that the noobs think they’ll look like if they bulk.

I’ll echo what has been already said…

At this point, you need action. You’ll learn the most valuable lessons as you go, and grow…

An untrained or poorly trained person should have no trouble gaining muslce and losing fat at the same time. Many of the beginners we get here are scrawny. They may have some visible flab, but that is mostly a reflection of no muslce. Those should start bulking right away. Even if they gain some bodyfat, their actual bodyfat percentage will probably be down. They’ll look better and more importantly be on the right track. Then we have some people who are soft and flabby. Maybe not obese but with appreciable body fat. In my opinion, those people should not be making a concerted effort either to bulk or cut. They should just lift hard and eat clean, healthy foods for hunger. They will gain muscle and lose some fat and soon be at a good, leaner starting point to bulk where adding some bodyfat will not be a bad thing.

I must be missing something. I find it hard to believe u are a fat fat bastard @ 6ft 187lbs. Then u say u need a program that is all layed out for u?- this site is filled with them! If u say u have read Berardi’s articles- he pretty much tells u exactly what to do , as do the numerous coachs that write for the sit. No offense but u sound like a pussy. strap it on a pick something to do.

If u have reached the braeaking point as u say, this is a good thing. You have to put aside the girl girl, get some help with ur depression and do thid for ur self. Treat ur self with respect. If you constantly have this I’m no good internal dialogue w/ urself then that is what u will project to other people.

If getting in shape is ur goal, then u could not have picked a more noble cause. Stop feeling sorry for urself and get going. Start today - right now - don’t be one of those people that says i’ll start monday,'cause monday ultimately never comes- treat everyday like it is monday.

If screw up don’t be so hard on urself, try harded tomorrow - lets go bro- sonner it starts -sooner it ends. Good luck.

X-Factor wrote:

Thats it. Now seriously, try gaining some muscle, because even if you don’t get the girl you can stomp your best friend out.

Good post. There are way too many skinny fuckers on this site trying to stop people from gaining any muscle. No one here thinks everyone wants to look liek Rponnie Coleman. There is a shit load of difference between that extreme and being skinny as hell. Why is it only newbies seem to think in extremes?[/quote]

What some people don’t understand is that coleman is under 6’ and competes a few lbs away from 300lb. People will have no IDEA how huge that is until they see it in person. And the truth is thats why he’s the best. No ones has the combination of money, time, genetics and amazing response to the best designer steroids and GH money can buy. I’ll tell everyone to look at the biggest “muscular” guy in their gym and I’ll GARAUNTEE that he’s been training for nearly 10 years minimum AND is probably juicing.

If you’re scared of gettin too big 10 years is plenty of time to see it happen and stop gettin so big. Also i’m sure if they don’t want to be that big they won’t juice either. The truth is if you were ever to be as big as the biggest guy in your gym you better start juicing and do EVERYTHING in your power to gain weight. And don’t doubt that they don’t, most of those big juicers have some trafficing going on just to support their roid use.

Magarhe wrote:
Youth is wasted on the young.

Dude, what the heck are you doing, just pick any program and do it. You are young. Stuff the girl there are countless thousands of them. Your problem is you are young and don’t really know what you want and aren’t going for it. You gotta work on that, not think of girls, get it happening, in 6 months you can be a new man, in better shape physically and more importantly (especially to women), confidence/emotionally/go-gettery. It is that, not appearance, that gets girls fired up. And if you are suited to each other then it will work out nicely.

Don’t try and work it out in advance, work on this principle

Do it
check it is working
adjust it if it is not working

If his basic understanding of what his goals even are is screwed up, he won’t be making much progress at all. Anyone who tells this kid that he shouldn’t approach his weight lifting as if he is trying to GAIN is doing him a disservice. It doesn’t matter if he wants to be ripped. He won’t get there if he somehow thinks that you train differently for his goals than anyone else’s. That is where he is screwing up and “billigerant’s” post shows that very few people on this site even understand this.[/quote]

Well, obviously he should get some idea of what to do in advance, eat properly and workout properly, all I meant was that he doesn’t have to determine the perfect program in advance, or he’ll just end up looking over programs for months and do nothing.

I’m not suggesting he go into the cardio route, but better that, than spend the next year reading about different weightlifting routines, and arguing on the board without even lifting anything.

[quote]Myllz wrote:
Assuming you’ve actually read all of this, I appreciate any help I get. Most of you are probably reading this and saying oh boo hoo, the poor fat boy is sad, but this means a lot to me. Again, I appreciate any help and please let me know what other information I can provide that will help you help me (Jerry McGuire). Thanks alot.[/quote]

Really? Here goes: either get to the gym, get into therapy, or both, but you need to act and act fast. If you’re so depressed that you can’t sleep and can’t work up the motivation to change your life in ways you claim to want to, you need real help and you probably could use a professional.

Commit to excellence: at this point, it doesn’t matter as much what you do, but rather that you just shut the fuck up and do it. Decide you’re going to do something physical every day, whether you go for a long walk, swim, lift, etc etc etc. Just move the ass you claim is fat as often as you can in as many ways as you can.

Programs? Like the other poster said, Waterbury’s 10x3 For Fat Loss. You’ll get stronger, have fun, and lose fat. Consider spending your beer (or fast food or girl-chasing) money on a coach to teach you the O-lifts. They are fun, incredibly challenging, and will set you apart from the other assholes in the gym. They’ll take your mind off your body-composition goals (hopefully) and get you into being strong, flexible, and fast.

The other stuff is pretty goddamn simple: commit to being the guy you want to be. Imagine what an active, genuinely healthy, socially skilled, fit, cool guy does with his time-- how does he talk? how does he dress? how does he act around women? around other guys? what are his attitudes about eating, alcohol, and sleep? what does he know about food, movies, and social graces? what does his house look like in terms of decor and cleanliness? what vibe does he put out in the gym?

Once you have the mental picture, just start doing the things that the guy you’d like to be would do. PRETEND if you have to: make it a game you play with yourself-- when you’re out, act AS IF. Forget any of that “be yourself” bullshit-- decide who you are going to be and become him.