T Nation

FINiBAR - Fuel for the Finish

[topic]2517969[/topic]
by T-Nation
09/30/08

[teaser]cut/finibar[/teaser]

These look interesting.

I just ordered several boxes for some of the athletes I’ve been working with to try.

The new bars are really good, super high quality and taste great too. I’m a sponsored athlete and was used as a taste tester for the new bars, so I can honestly say Biotest went above and beyond in developing this bar to maximize performance and make a tasty product. It’s my favorite bar for long rides, for the sustained energy as well as something I can look forward to eating.

what exactly are these? how are they diff from regular Biotest protien bars?

[quote]crod266 wrote:
what exactly are these? how are they diff from regular Biotest protien bars?[/quote]

Simply going by the label information you can see that they are not traditional protein bars.

They appear to be more of a high-carb, moderate-protein bar oriented to high energy output activities.

The carb sources look very unique as well.

[quote]crod266 wrote:
what exactly are these? how are they diff from regular Biotest protien bars?[/quote]

Just by looking at the nutritional facts it appears these bars are less of a protein bar (13gr) and more of an energy (read: carbs) bar.

Damn HK you beat me to it by a sec :slight_smile:

I’d like to carb load on these if they were minus the sodium

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:

DG[/quote]

Why are you worried about a measly 140 mg Sodium?

Could this be viewed as a junior verion of Surge Workout Fuel? Will we ever see this feted elixir?

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
Could this be viewed as a junior verion of Surge Workout Fuel? Will we ever see this feted elixir?[/quote]

Thats actually what I was thinking, the ingredients and description sounds similar, and the price (4 dollars per serving) are just what they said it would be. Perhaps the bar format was a little easier to swallow than a drink.

Lon,

You’re suggesting they WON’T release Surge Workout Fuel in powdered form? No way.

That product was meant to be downed during a workout; you can’t get that quick nutrient availability in the digestive tract if you had to chew on a solid protein bar, regardless of ingredients.

Hopefully I am not wrong…

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:

DG

Why are you worried about a measly 140 mg Sodium?[/quote]

that measly 140mg of sodium is enough to make me hold water on stage.

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
that measly 140mg of sodium is enough to make me hold water on stage.

DG[/quote]

How often do you stand on stage?

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Lon,

You’re suggesting they WON’T release Surge Workout Fuel in powdered form? No way.

That product was meant to be downed during a workout; you can’t get that quick nutrient availability in the digestive tract if you had to chew on a solid protein bar, regardless of ingredients.

Hopefully I am not wrong…[/quote]

I dont know if I’d go that far. Maybe they realized that the slower digesting bar was actually a better use of the product? I have no idea. Although it does seem at least halfway reasonable to think that maybe people would rather eat a bar for 4 dollars than use a drink that cost 4 dollars, and thus a marketing switch. Although I’ve never known Biotest to sacrifice performance for price, so that may not be the reason.

Again, maybe the products work better as a bar instead of a drink, although it seems like they would have told us that given many T-Men were waiting to at least see the product launched.

Maybe they realized it could better be used for people who are entering a competition, and not the public at large?

In actuality though, I have absolutely no idea, so everything above with a mountain of salt.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
I dont know if I’d go that far. Maybe they realized that the slower digesting bar was actually a better use of the product? I have no idea. Although it does seem at least halfway reasonable to think that maybe people would rather eat a bar for 4 dollars than use a drink that cost 4 dollars, and thus a marketing switch. Although I’ve never known Biotest to sacrifice performance for price, so that may not be the reason.

Again, maybe the products work better as a bar instead of a drink, although it seems like they would have told us that given many T-Men were waiting to at least see the product launched.

Maybe they realized it could better be used for people who are entering a competition, and not the public at large?

In actuality though, I have absolutely no idea, so everything above with a mountain of salt.[/quote]

FINIBAR was created due to demand by the athletes we work with for a next-generation energy bar to get them through long, grueling workouts and competition when they need solid food in addition to Surge Workout Fuel.

It complements Surge Workout Fuel nicely, but it is most definitely not a replacement for it.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:

In actuality though, I have absolutely no idea, so everything above with a mountain of salt.

FINIBAR was created due to demand by the athletes we work with for a next-generation energy bar to get them through long, grueling workouts and competition when they need solid food in addition to Surge Workout Fuel.

It complements Surge Workout Fuel nicely, but it is most definitely not a replacement for it.[/quote]

Well, there ya have it…

Do you think once could pull this off as a pre workout meal? say 10-20 mins before workout.

Perhaps little old non-endurance orientated me just wants to try this tasty treat! =]

What duration of athletic events are these bars designed for? And they’re designed for consumption during the event right? Thank you.

[quote]benmoore wrote:
Do you think once could pull this off as a pre workout meal? say 10-20 mins before workout.[/quote]

Definitely.