Finger Pain

Hi,

I’m a lifting newbie - been reading the site for some time. Thanks for the excellent articles.

I’ve been getting some pain above the middle knuckle of my left ring finger for 1-2 months now.
It doesn’t bother me on a day-to-day basis unless I deliberately try to clench that finger tight.
It affects my grip on chin-ups/pull-ups (typically weighted or high rep/sets) and deadlift where I need maintain a stronger grip on the bar - not so much for presses, dumbell work and dips.

All I could come up with on web searches are possibly pinched nerve.

I’d like to check with you guys if this is a common condition and some background before I go seek some therapy or something.

Thanks,
Roy

Hi mate,

I had it once - not going to be particularly helpful but I just let it pass. Didn’t last that long though - only had it for a week or so. I’d check it out with a GP if its lasted that long. Sounds like a small muscle in your hand has become inflamed and is pressing against a nerve and isnt healing properly.

Then again the doc will probably just prescribe the usual rest and anti-inflamatry and send you packing. Your call, but when it comes to inflamation rest is normally the ticket. Might be an idea to avoid any exercises that cause the pain to flare up for a week and see if it improves. Just stick to pushing, leg and core work. Hope this helps…

Thanks, I’m laying off the heavier pulls for the moment. A mate thinks that it may be tendinitis. I’ll also give icing a go.

Been reading up more on tendinitis. Likely to be flexor tendinitis or trigger finger. Looks like mine is probably chronic so icing will not be a permanent solution. I’ll stay off the heavy pulls for a week or two and see how it goes.