T Nation

Fine Tuning the Diet

I am looking to refine my diet as I generally eat healthy, but am not seeing the results I would like (common sentiment, I am sure). I am looking at starting carb cycling, but am a little shaky some of the specifics, mainly fruit and veggie intake, even after reading the many awesome articles on the website. Some say carbs only on specific meals (3 with, 3 without for example). Some don't make a specific mention to fruits and veggies, others make a small mention, but no specifics. Etc.

Do I just lump them in with the carbs that they are, consuming in the morning and around my evening workout? What should the meals between meals look like if I am only really aloud protein at that time? Just a chicken breast or can I toss that on a small spinach/kale salad or some rice with steamed broccoli and still be ok?

If any more specifics are needed about myself, please let me know on the thread. I appreciate any tips, advice, suggestions, etc. as this website has helped me greatly thus far.

Thanks!

If ‘refining your diet’ means you hope to continue consuming the same number of cals, but divvy them up differently in hopes it will significantly improve body composition, you are likely to be disappointed.

The term ‘carb cycling’ usually refers to manipulating the total amount of carbs consumed on a day-to-day basis, rather than manipulating the distribution of carbs on a given day. (At least, that’s my understanding of the term.) Carb cycling’s chief benefit is it provides a convenient, relatively easy way to have low-cal days.

I’ve posted at some length about using carb/cal cycling to shed bodyfat. If you’re interested, you can find it in the thread ‘EyeDentist, how do you train?’ in the BSL subforum.

Thank you for your response Sir! I will be sure to check the information you’ve posted… I do understand what you said about the purpose of cycling, allowing for low cal days while still being able to build muscle, manipulating the daily carb intake, I’m just fuzzy on some of the specifics.

I guess my confusion comes from a few of the articles suggesting that carbs should be consumed in the morning and around the workout (which makes sense). I just didn’t know if consuming these relatively lighter carbs at other times impedes progress a bit. It sounds like you’re suggesting that I’m over thinking this a bit and need to focus on the total daily intake rather then meal specific (baring peri-workout of course)?

I’m only on page 2 of your thread and I’m hooked. Excellent read, great advise, and amazing results! I am currently experiencing the brachialis pain as well and would have continued to use that same heavy compound lifts followed by iso lifts. Your contributions have already helped in both the long and short term. GREATLY appreciated!

[quote]smarterANDharder wrote:
I’m only on page 2 of your thread and I’m hooked. Excellent read, great advise, and amazing results! I am currently experiencing the brachialis pain as well and would have continued to use that same heavy compound lifts followed by iso lifts. Your contributions have already helped in both the long and short term. GREATLY appreciated![/quote]

Great to hear! Please feel free to add to it any thoughts/comments/etc you might have.

Welp, just finished up the thread… have yet to find a better one with more quality/detailed insight! I do have a few questions though… should I just ask you on this thread or would you like me to post on the other. I understand you have a life, job, and gotta get that 3pm workout in, ;-), but if I’ve learned one thing in my 28 years, it’s listen to those who have done it, and you’ve definitely DONE IT! Would be very appreciative of any additional help, tips, suggestions, etc. you’d be willing to provide.

[quote]smarterANDharder wrote:
Welp, just finished up the thread… have yet to find a better one with more quality/detailed insight! I do have a few questions though… should I just ask you on this thread or would you like me to post on the other. I understand you have a life, job, and gotta get that 3pm workout in, ;-), but if I’ve learned one thing in my 28 years, it’s listen to those who have done it, and you’ve definitely DONE IT! Would be very appreciative of any additional help, tips, suggestions, etc. you’d be willing to provide.[/quote]

Thanks again. If you wouldn’t mind, ask on the BSL thread, so I can keep all my ramblings in one place. ;^)