Fine Tune my Cutting Diet

With this formula I don’t factor in daily activity.

It’s already pretty low calorie wise so if I’m not losing enough I’ll simply add in some walks (as I dont do any planned ones at present)… or add a thermo, etc.

If I’m loosing too much too quickly - I could cut back on walking (if added already) or simply add in another couple of hundred calories or so.

Again - when I stopped worrying about calorie calculators so much things started to shift a lot faster!

Paralysis by over-analysis SUCKS.

For me I find it teaches a method that is more viable in the long term.

But if it works for you then so be it!

Same for gaining mass… if I’m not gaining quickly enough… just eat more clean food!

EDIT: And as for being around the fat loss block a few times… aye I have… although only once I would say I have done it somewhat successfully… and even then I have changed my approach since to improve results!

[quote]atg410 wrote:

[quote]benmoore wrote:
Staying under maintenance for too long will kill off metabolism - have you considered working up to maintenance and sitting there for 2-4 weeks? Metabolism will be good to go and you should start seeing fat loss again with a noticeably smaller deficit and less lean tissue loss.

I would still love to see more protein… something in the region of 140-150g which wouldn’t be a major increase.

Increased likelyhood to hold onto LBM as well as having a high thermic effect vs. carbs/fats should in theory be beneficial for your goals.

But then you probably shouldn’t listen to me because I’m currently a fatass dieting down also :wink:

Congrats on your current progress mind.

EDIT: And if things stall perhaps consider dropping carbs to a 100g cap on non training days?[/quote]

Hey,

Thanks a lot for your replies. This is the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Chris666, you were dead right, my cals are way off. Apparently fitday.com double counts fiber as well as fats that are broken down by lipid type on food labels (poly, mono, saturated). Here are my correct macros for both workout and non workout days. The examples used are this past thursday (off) and friday (workout). I tend to be very consistent across the week so they should apply for any given day.

Off day
Kcal - 1776
Prot - 100.9 g
Carb - 139.4 g (total carbs)
Fats - 90.6 g
Fiber - 29.7 g

Workout day
Kcal - 2743
Prot - 208.5 g (counting BCAAs)
Carb - 242.7 g (total carbs)
Fats - 104.3 g
Fiber - 41.3 g

Aside from the added pwo protein, the only difference between the two days (which I forgot to mention in my original post) is one additional meal (beef stew) and an extra serving of fish oil on my workout day.

With all suggestions in mind, here’s what I’m thinking. This week I’ll drop the bread on my off days, and instead for a snack at that time have a can of sardines in oil. I think I’m also going to start adding about 80 grams of canned salmon to my morning eggs every day for an extra 17 or so grams of protein.

With those two changes in place my macros next week would look something like this.

Off days
Kcal - 1877
Prot - 124 g
Carb - 109 g
Fats - 105 g
Fiber - 26 g

Workout days
Kcal - 2853
Prot - 225 g
Carb - 243 g
Fats - 109 g
Fiber - 41 g

Better?

Also, starting a chellated zinc supplement this week. It’s one of the only major minerals that I fear my diet doesn’t contain a shitload of, and in a big caloric deficit seems like something I should probably make sure that I get enough of. I know it’s a pretty basic supplement, but any thoughts?

[/quote]

To be honest, if your diet is currently working, I would not change a thing until fat loss has stopped for some weeks. And then I would think about reducing calories on workout days and adding protein on non-workout days without increasing calories. I would use lean protein (protein shake, chicken, tuna in water,…) and not sardines in oil to keep calories in check.

A guesstimate for you daily average calories would be (3 x 2743 + 3 x 1776 + 1 x 4000(guess for your saturday cheat day))/7 = 2500 calories. If anything, this seems a tad high for cutting at 195 lbs at 25% body fat.

Holding back on your cheat day on saturday is also something you can consider when fat loss stalls.

I guess I have to agree with the previous post - if it’s working as well as you want it too… then don’t change a thing. If things stall however perhaps try out some of the ideas people have posted. Best of luck anyway!