T Nation

Finding Your Rep Max

Hi,
I am doing BBB and as I was reading through the article, there was one thing I wasn’t sure of. It was how to find your rep max. The example w/o says do so many reps using your 5RM but as a beginner how do you find this out? Do you use trial and error? Find your 1RM and use a calculator? Or is there another way? Your help is appreciated.
Thank you

There are a couple of different ways to figure it out. I think the easiest will be just to go to the gym and pick up a weight that you think you can lift six or seven times with perfect form. Use that as your 5RM for your workout that day. If it is too heavy, stop and pick a lighter one. If it is too light, mark in your workout log to increase the weight slightly next time. Keep experimenting until you have found a weight that you can lift 6 times and 6 times only with perfect form. This should be roughly your 5RM.
-CA.

[quote]Charles Atlas wrote:
There are a couple of different ways to figure it out. I think the easiest will be just to go to the gym and pick up a weight that you think you can lift six or seven times with perfect form. Use that as your 5RM for your workout that day. If it is too heavy, stop and pick a lighter one. If it is too light, mark in your workout log to increase the weight slightly next time. Keep experimenting until you have found a weight that you can lift 6 times and 6 times only with perfect form. This should be roughly your 5RM.
-CA.[/quote]

Wouldn’t that be your 6RM?

LOL, yes that would be a six RM weight. Good advuice other than that though. a 5RM would be a weight you can lift only 5 times before failue occurs

This is a beginner’s thread, and as such, I think that lifting your actual 5RM, five times is a recipe for injury.

If your program calls for a triple at your 5RM weight, you’re probably good. If it calls for a fiver, you’re probably better off going with Mr. 98 lb. weakling himself’s suggestion of going for a 6-7 RM.

Dan “… and then the bully kicked sand in my face…” McVicker