T Nation

Finding The Right Personal Trainer!

Should I hire a personal trainer that specializes in bodybuilding/weighttraining to get the results I’m looking for?

My inspirations are Christiane Lamy, Davana Medina and Mindi O’Brien. What should I look for in a personal trainer?

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

[quote]Edelacruz wrote:
Should I hire a personal trainer that specializes in bodybuilding/weighttraining to get the results I’m looking for?

My inspirations are Christiane Lamy, Davana Medina and Mindi O’Brien. What should I look for in a personal trainer?

Thanks, in advance, for the help.[/quote]

Hi Edelacruz,

Ideally you should hire a personal trainer who:
A) Has experience in the facet of training you wish to pursue
B) Has expertise in the facet of training you wish to pursue
C) Is able to pass her/his knowledge to you in a clear understandable manner, and
D) Who’s personality type matches well with yours

Now, of course I said ideally. You may find someone who has B,C,and D, but not A. Or, A,B, and D, but not C. So, really you just need to look at the available trainers and see which one has the most of the above qualities.

Also, personally I believe that none of the above qualities is necessarily more important that the others. If a person lacks experience, then they won’t be able to foresee the pitfalls and obstacles which you’ll undoubtedly face in the future, and therefore they will have to be able to problem solve effectively to get you past those obstacles.

If a trainer doesn’t have expertise, then they may not know the most effective ways to help you achieve your goals, and therefore it could end up taking much longer to achieve them, or worse yet, you may become discouraged with your lack of progress and lose heart.

If a trainer can’t convey their knowledge to you in a clear understandable manner, then you’ll never outgrow them. And, in my opinion, that should be the mission of all trainers. To not only help people reach their goals, but to also teach them how to reach their goals.

And finally, if a trainer’s personality doesn’t match well with yours, it’s not going to be a very pleasant experience working together. If they’re a drill sargeant and you don’t respond well to someone yelling in your face, then you’re not going to get the most out of your time with them. Similarly, if you want someone to yell in your face and they are very passive and positive, then you also won’t get the most out of your time with them.

I realize that I may have just seemingly over complicated your question and your head may be swimming right now. But, as a trainer myself, I personally believe that if you’re going to pay someone to train you (and generally the price is fairly substantial), then you really need to either make sure that you’re making the right decision. Or, another option would be to just try out a couple sessions with a bunch of different trainers who you think might fit you well and see which one seems like the best fit. Don’t however, buy a big long package of training sessions (even though they are generally cheaper) unless you’re absolutely sure that this person is the trainer for you.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and good training,

Sentoguy