Finding the Right Amount of Volume

I am a 37yo, been training since around age 13. I use full body workouts 3xwk, focusing on compound movements. I have worked for the post office the last three years, and needless to say, I do alot of walking. I am looking for suggestions on sets and reps. I have done mainly 5x5 in the past. A typical week would look as follows:

Monday
Squats 5x5
Military Press or Push Press 5-7 sets, 3-5 reps
Power Cleans or Deadlifts 5x5
AUX. work calves, db incline 2-3 sets 15-20 reps

Wednesday
Front Squats 2x5,3-5x3
Good Mornings 4-5x8-10
Weighted Dip 4-5x5-8
Pullups 4xmax
triceps 2-3 sets 15-20reps

Friday
Squats 3x5,2x3
Military Press 5x5
Shrugs 5x5
biceps 2-3 sets 15-20 reps

This is stuff I have gotten mainly from reading articles by Bill Starr. I try to do a H-L-M format. I just cannot recover from this type of routine like I did when I was younger. Would dropping sets be the answer or should I look for something else? Thanks for any replies.

There are really so many different ways to attack this, imo. You might try going to a 3x10-12 protocol for 6-8 weeks and see how that works. You might also try going to two rest days after every other workout, i.e. M-W-Sa-M-Th-Sa-Tue, etc. Or you could switch to an ABBH protocol for a couple of cycles. I really liked ABBH because I felt like I got good work in but I still felt refreshed after the workout and ready to go when the next one came around.

DB

How about just cutting out some duplication and leaving something like

Monday
Military Press or Push Press 5-7 sets, 3-5 reps
Power Cleans or Deadlifts 5x5
AUX. work calves, db incline 2-3 sets 15-20 reps

Wednesday
Good Mornings 4-5x8-10
Weighted Dip 4-5x5-8
Pullups 4xmax

Friday
Shrugs 5x5
Squats 5x5

You may find you can do them with renewed vigour having reduced the volume and increased your recovery between the big movements. Something to think over anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I get it ingrained that I must squat and pull multiple times weekly to accomplish anything.