T Nation

Finding Maintenance

CT, I’ve recently began playing a ton of sports, and I’m also doing HP Mass. I’ve been kind of eating whatever for the past few months, and just winging it.

Lately I’ve decided to find my maintenance. I want to know how much to eat to keep steady, and that way I can adjust one way or the other depending on goals without being to anal.

Thing is, some weeks I play sports 5x a week on top of lifting, some weeks i don’t play at all. Also, as you know, HP mass is way more volume some weeks than others.

So, how shoudl I go about finding my maintenance calories? I have a pretty sound diet, and I’m going to eat the same thing every day and weigh in every morning to see what my body does (gain, maintain, lose) for about a week. Once I find maintenance, I will go back to eyeballing and just kind of keep tabs on weight and stop measuring food, etc.

But again, how do I account for the varying activity levels? Thx in advance!

[quote]pwr_speed_size wrote:
CT, I’ve recently began playing a ton of sports, and I’m also doing HP Mass. I’ve been kind of eating whatever for the past few months, and just winging it.

Lately I’ve decided to find my maintenance. I want to know how much to eat to keep steady, and that way I can adjust one way or the other depending on goals without being to anal.

Thing is, some weeks I play sports 5x a week on top of lifting, some weeks i don’t play at all. Also, as you know, HP mass is way more volume some weeks than others.

So, how shoudl I go about finding my maintenance calories? I have a pretty sound diet, and I’m going to eat the same thing every day and weigh in every morning to see what my body does (gain, maintain, lose) for about a week. Once I find maintenance, I will go back to eyeballing and just kind of keep tabs on weight and stop measuring food, etc.

But again, how do I account for the varying activity levels? Thx in advance! [/quote]

You cannot find maintenance then eyeball it from there. The amount of calories you burn each day is NOT the same all the time. Even if you were to do EXACTLY THE SAME WORKLOAD every day, you would still have fluctuations in metabolic rate.

Finding maintenance can still be useful, but not something I personally focus on.

My main focus is the nail peri-workout nutrition everytime I train (same if I were to play sports). When you take care of that, your caloric/nutrients intake is automatically adjusted to your daily activity level.

I have PLAZMA everytime I train and 2-6 MAG-10 pulses during the day. I tend adjust food intake in 2-3 solid meals depeding on the daily changes in my physique or recovery.