T Nation

Finding It Very Difficult

to add more lean mass.

37 years old
lifting for a few years
workout on point, diet on point
changed everything i can think of..diet, routine, did two deloads..

is it my age..?

any of you find the same thing at this age..., what did you do...

Honest truth. I bet you're not eating enough. Or enough of the right stuff.

I had to eat 4000-5000 calories a day while lifting like a maniac.

you could be right.....I thought my maint was 2450...but i purchased a bodymedia and it has my maint at about 2600 - 2750. so i upped my cals to 3000 two weeks ago, but scale is about the same, so just went to 3200 cals, i'll monitor and see what happens. Obviously i wanted to keep fat gains to a min.....

I'm a lot like Kent, have to shove meat and protein shakes down my throat like there's no tomorrow. If you don't want fat gains, keep carbs to a minimum.

What are your lifts like -- How many days a week you training? How do you train? Injuries and problems?

by the way, i do give my changes quite some time before figuring whether they work or not....that being said, my most recent change was more of a hypertrophy routine.... I was usually low volume RPT style, HEAVY but low rep...

currently - High rep range - 12, 10, 8, 6.... the weight is obviously lower than when i was low volume...and i move up with either a rep or 5 lbs whenever i can, so i am always moving up.

i am doing an Upper Lower - 4 day split...example below for Monday

Monday -
Bench
140 x 12
160 x 10
180 x 8
195 x 6

BB Rows
130 x 10
150 x 8
160 x 6

Low Incline DB Press
55 x 12
60 x 10
65 x 8

Face Pulls
45 x 15
50 x 12
55 x 12

Superset below

Hammer Curls
30 x 12
35 x 10
40 x 6
Tri Push
60 x 12
70 x 10
85 x 8

i can list the whole 4 days if you think it would help...I just seem to have really stalled..wights not really moving up...dont seem to be gaining any lean mass...so i upped cals...this is also after a deload...

i just cant figure it out...maybe it is just caloric intake has been too low...

Tuesday -

Squats - 4 sets 10, 8, 6, 4
Bulgarian Split Squats - 2 sets of 8
Stiff Leg Deadlifts - 3 sets of 8
calves - 3 sets 12, 12, 12

Wed Off

Thursdsy

Standing Military Barbell Press 3 sets 10, 8, 6
Chins - 3 sets - weighted on last two
High Incline DB Press 3 sets 12, 10, 8
Supersets of Hammer Curls and Skull Crushers - 3 sets 12, 10, 8

Friday

Deads 4 sets 6, 6, 6, 5
Good Mornings - 3 sets of 10
DB Walking Lunches 3 sets of 10
Weighted Hypers 3 sets of 12

Are you training to failure on your sets?
How is your sleep?
Are you excited too train?
Are you getting sore from the lifting?

Your Weight

Your height

Yes, i typically move up as soon as i can hit, whatever my goal in reps is on the last set, then i move up 5lbs on every set for that particular excersize....so yes, it would be to failure on last set...

sleep is ok, maybe 6 - 8 hours a night

love training, so yes i am excited to get in and go for PRs every day

I am actually sore for longer than i used to be, maybe the hypertophy routine is doing this...but i am also focusing on ROM so really getting low on squats for instance, has me sore for a few days, espcially when i move up the weight.

I am 37
5'10"
171 lbs

Ok, some stuff to work with here.

How lean are you?

If sight unseen I would say eat more a lot more. Try adding in 2 shakes a day with 50grms of protein per shake. Try to get an additional sleep as well.

Also cut back on some of the volume. You have a lot of overlap esp. if training to failure on multipule sets. Or extend the routine out to 3 days a week with the fourth on a monday like: m-w-f-m then repeat.

Yep read your post again. Eat more and train slightly less.

I am about 14%BF...i cut down to about 10% was was a skinny rail, not enough lean muscle, so thats the goal here, i have been on a bulk for a month....I upped cals yesterday....

Thanks so much, to everyone, for the advice...this is a great forum...once i realized that over 35 is where i need to be...

thanks again...

I'll start a log soon so i can better track my progress...

Welcome Coop817. Listen to Fischer, he knows his stuff. You can use this as your log.

I say this a lot but this is a marathon not a sprint, do not expect to have lean muscle gains in X number of time frame.

thanks guys, I'll get my log going soon..thanks again for the info and the warm welcome!!1

Welcome