T Nation

Finding Buffalo Meat In NYC

I would like to get some but am not really sure where to find out. I live in NYC and would like to get it locally instead of having it shipped.

Any ideas where I can find it?

Trader Joe’s has buffalo burgers that are pretty damn good. They were pretty cheap too when I last bought them. I think about 6-7$ for 4 patties which were between 30-40 grams of protein per.

They taste really good too.

God bless Trader Joe’s. I love that store so much. There is a ton of quality foods there that only need a little bit of prep. I’m going to look for those buffalo burgers tomorrow!

I don’t know which grocery store chains you have, but my local Kroger carries prepackaged buffalo patties and steaks. I live in rural Tennessee so I imagine it’ll be possible to find it somewhere in NYC.

just throw them on the grill? There apoparently is a brooklyn location coming soon too which is awesome…

Get a George Foreman grill. If you live alone in an apartment these things are amazing.

[quote]mikeyball428 wrote:
I would like to get some but am not really sure where to find out. I live in NYC and would like to get it locally instead of having it shipped.

Any ideas where I can find it? [/quote]

Whole Foods. Actually I often get ground buffalo meat there and it’s not too much more expensive than regular hamburger meat.

I’ve cooked em on the foreman too. Come out great. So much flavor.

Does it taste like beef or is it more gamey??

Does it taste like beef or is it more gamey??[/quote]

Tastes like buffalo,
or was it chicken?

Does it taste like beef or is it more gamey??[/quote]

It’s definitely a bit more gamey, but in a good way. I prefer the flavor over beef. Try it and see for yourself.

[quote]Wimpy wrote:
I don’t know which grocery store chains you have, but my local Kroger carries prepackaged buffalo patties and steaks. I live in rural Tennessee so I imagine it’ll be possible to find it somewhere in NYC. [/quote]

I was about to say the same. Kroger’s here in Dayton, Ohio has some buffalo meat…so it can’t be that hard to get ahold of, no matter where you live.

hell yeah trader joe’s. i work at the manhattan location. buffalo burgers just came back after being gone for months. they’re a frozen product which partially explains the lower price (long shelf life)

all our stuff comes and goes in and out of stock because our ‘buyers’ buy in bulk and apparently have attention deficit disorder

Yo, I’m coming to buy some tomorrow. Do you guys have it in stock??

it was there today, at least 24-30 on the shelf but the store serves all of manhattan and then some so that could disappear in an hour if the wind blows a certain way. best bet is to call the store, they will check for you, hold stuff for you etc.

i was reading the label today though and it’s ‘grain-fed buffalo’ which to some degree defeats the purpose of eating ‘wild’ meat.