T Nation

Finding a Strength Coach Around NYC?

Hi All,
Does anyone know how I could find a qualified strength coach in the NYC area? Are there particular websites I can check out to find someone?

Thanks

[quote]Joeybags wrote:
Hi All,
Does anyone know how I could find a qualified strength coach in the NYC area? Are there particular websites I can check out to find someone?

Thanks[/quote]

When you say “strength coach”, what are you really looking for? What sport are you training for?

I know Matt McGorry, the Unlikely Powerlifter on Elitefts.com, is in Manhattan somewhere. Gary Guerriero has a high-end place in the city, the USATC, and Alwyn Cosgrove has spoken well of him. That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

I’m out here on the Island, so I may or may not quite fit the “in and around NYC” zone. :wink:

Thanks for the information Chris. I’ve only been lifting for the past two months after having taken 6 months off due to an injury. I’ve lifted on and off in the past but my goal is to powerlift and then eventually compete. At this point, I’m looking to get my technique correct and build up a foundation. I’ve been sticking with your basic bench, squat, and deadlift, with some bent over rows, shoulder presses, and stiff leggeds mixed in. I’ve been doing the Starting Strength program through Mark Rippetoe’s DVD. But would like to have someone critique me and guide me. I’m living in Westchester County. Long Island might be an option for me. I’ll check out your suggestions and see what I come up with.