Finding a New Career

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
I feel the same way about my career. I just got a degree in Kinesiology and was planning on being a personal trainer and maybe more, but got sidetracked shortly after with an illness and disability that might not let me pursue that career. I just went back to work at a grocery store only making $14 an hour and know I don’t want to do this. Honestly I really don’t know what i’m going to do. [/quote]

If you don’t mind my asking, is your disability speech involved? I ask because although you may not be able to demonstrate the exercises, knowing the body, knowing the specific cues for each exercise, and being vocal about each…I can see you still having a pretty good go at this. You should really put some thought into it. If you’re not comfortable answering here, PM me. I’m curious about your situation.

Thanks for the replies and taking the time to read and post to all of you, it’s much appreciated. Secondly, I do appreciate having a job and if theres anyone kicking about the forums who’s currently been laid off or made redundant I really dont mean to sound ungreatful.

Uni seems like a long haul for me right now, so much student debt for such a long time, it’s not something I can bring myself to do although I have considered this a few times.

I’m strongly considering becoming an electrician, I can keep my job on while I train up for that and it’ll end up paying considerably better than what I am doing now. It meets my requirements of decent income, reasonable job security, possible to other countries with a useful skill and it’ll come in handy in other parts of my life.

Thanks again for the replies, advice, experiences and positive words. Good luck to you guys/ladies who’re in a similar position to me and if anyone needs to thread hijack on this, feel free!

I would echo Angry Chicken with the trades.

I was laid off a couple years ago and fell into estimating. It’s soul draining. I just started a power engineering course. People shouldn’t forget about trades. They can be very lucrative.

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:
^biased [/quote]

so mean :([/quote]

lol no it was meant for HolyMac’s Army post!

[quote]debraD wrote:

^biased [/quote]

so mean :([/quote]

lol no it was meant for HolyMac’s Army post! [/quote]

yeah I know. :wink:

Forgot - Auto mechanics can make bank as well.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]miloofcroton wrote:
3. Don’t join the Army.

That shit sucks.

[/quote]

the army is what you make of it. no one is going to sit there and hold your hand, but if you’re smart and informed about shit you can get set up pretty well.[/quote]

I’ll agree that military is a great career opportunity. If you’re competent you can get promoted quickly and make some bank by living intelligently. My grief is with the Army mindset and culture. It grew to be intolerable for me, personally, but obviously works really well for some people.

So, OP, I’ll retract my third piece of advice, and replace it with “Think carefully before signing up for military service. It is a binding commitment, and it’s hard to fully appreciate what you’re getting yourself into until its too late.”

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:

I feel the same way about my career. I just got a degree in Kinesiology and was planning on being a personal trainer and maybe more, but got sidetracked shortly after with an illness and disability that might not let me pursue that career. I just went back to work at a grocery store only making $14 an hour and know I don’t want to do this. Honestly I really don’t know what i’m going to do. [/quote]

If you don’t mind my asking, is your disability speech involved? I ask because although you may not be able to demonstrate the exercises, knowing the body, knowing the specific cues for each exercise, and being vocal about each…I can see you still having a pretty good go at this. You should really put some thought into it. If you’re not comfortable answering here, PM me. I’m curious about your situation. [/quote]

No i had shingles in my ear which caused me to lose 86% of the function in my left inner ear. The part that controls balance and equilibrium. Doing anything where I stand up for a long time or hard work exhausts me and causes my balance to be way off or I feel like i’m moving when i’m not. That plus i haven’t been able to work out in a year, so i’m out of shape. I just don’t feel confident in doing it until I can get myself back where I use to be. I’m hopeful in a year or two I might be able to get back to it. It would be nice to have a backup plan though.

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:

If you don’t mind my asking, is your disability speech involved? I ask because although you may not be able to demonstrate the exercises, knowing the body, knowing the specific cues for each exercise, and being vocal about each…I can see you still having a pretty good go at this. You should really put some thought into it. If you’re not comfortable answering here, PM me. I’m curious about your situation. [/quote]

No i had shingles in my ear which caused me to lose 86% of the function in my left inner ear. The part that controls balance and equilibrium. Doing anything where I stand up for a long time or hard work exhausts me and causes my balance to be way off or I feel like i’m moving when i’m not. That plus i haven’t been able to work out in a year, so i’m out of shape. I just don’t feel confident in doing it until I can get myself back where I use to be. I’m hopeful in a year or two I might be able to get back to it. It would be nice to have a backup plan though.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that, but at the end of the day you still know your stuff. Maybe for a short while you could train some less qualified or knowledgable personal trainers in a gym, get some contacts and work experience if you can? I dont know how it works over there so if I’m off the mark I apologise, but I wish you all the best in recovery and good luck with a back up plan.

For what its worth, if I had a personal trainer who knew what he was talking about, explained why he “wasn’t in great shape” without making a big deal about it and brought me the results I wanted, I’d stick with him.

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:

No i had shingles in my ear which caused me to lose 86% of the function in my left inner ear. The part that controls balance and equilibrium. Doing anything where I stand up for a long time or hard work exhausts me and causes my balance to be way off or I feel like i’m moving when i’m not. That plus i haven’t been able to work out in a year, so i’m out of shape. I just don’t feel confident in doing it until I can get myself back where I use to be. I’m hopeful in a year or two I might be able to get back to it. It would be nice to have a backup plan though.[/quote]

What about becoming a chiropractor? A lot of the people I know with kin degrees go on to become a DC

Be careful mate with any electrician course that isnt an apprenticeship. Im pretty sure most companies wont hire you unless you’ve done a full apprenticeship. My bricklaying qualification is kinda useless i found out, cos it was a 3 year night course. If you can afford to live on 100 pound a week (free travel as well), then go for it. Its great money. Ive got a mate, just finished his 3 years and hes on 550 a week, after tax (this is working in london though). Any trade is good money mate. Youre looking at atleast 150 cash a day… depending on where youre living, it can go upto 200 cash a day (my current boss for example (bricklayer))

dude stay away from trades. If you hate your job so much as it is you’re not going to like being someones bitch for a few years. And no matter what trade you’d pick you’re going to start at the bottom, granite you might be payed well but do you really want to someone’s helper for a couple of years?

[quote]Ben_VFR85 wrote:

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:

Sorry to hear that, but at the end of the day you still know your stuff. Maybe for a short while you could train some less qualified or knowledgable personal trainers in a gym, get some contacts and work experience if you can? I dont know how it works over there so if I’m off the mark I apologise, but I wish you all the best in recovery and good luck with a back up plan.

For what its worth, if I had a personal trainer who knew what he was talking about, explained why he “wasn’t in great shape” without making a big deal about it and brought me the results I wanted, I’d stick with him.
[/quote]
Yeah i guess my confidence is down since I don’t ever remember being this out of shape and weak before. A lot of people on this site talk shit about personal trainers who don’t look like they should be giving advice. I would be one of those. For right now I need to stay at my grocery store job so i can build my medical benefits back up which is really important to me. Most personal trainers have to pay for that on their own.

[quote]debraD wrote:

yeah I know. :wink:
[/quote]

yo debD’s got my back yo!

betta watch where you steppin punk

[quote]Ben_VFR85 wrote:

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:

[/quote]
Yeah i guess my confidence is down since I don’t ever remember being this out of shape and weak before. A lot of people on this site talk shit about personal trainers who don’t look like they should be giving advice. I would be one of those. For right now I need to stay at my grocery store job so i can build my medical benefits back up which is really important to me. Most personal trainers have to pay for that on their own.[/quote]

I know what you mean, and I might have been one who commented on that, however, I’ve learned a lot in the years since I’ve been training seriously, and I’ve noticed that I talk and point out more than I demonstrate. And while I guess I would “look the part”, there are certain exercises that I am unable to do, due to my right leg being game. Like the unilateral stuff that is on the front page…on the left, yes, on the right…not a chance.

I agree that you should continue working the grocery store gig, especially with the benefits, however, I have to insist that you start working the PT gig on the side. For free… get comfortable with it, and start making a name for yourself. Your current state could actually work in your favor.

Directly after high-school I enlisted in the Marine Corps as an 0311 planning to make a career of it. Did that whole gig, in the process got fucked up a little, came home and worked at a shop selling climbing gear and what not. It was fun, got to work for a month then go travel and climb for two weeks, come back, rinse and repeat. Realized that wasn’t going to pay the bills, nor was it personally fulfilling so I went back to school and got my B.S. degree in Physics. Now, I am doing something completely unrelated to either of those experiences, while I am making good money I do not feel like I am reaching my full potential.

So, I’m 26, and needless to say I don’t think everyone can “choose” their career-- I’ve tried, tried very hard at that. I just try my best to keep grabbing opportunities as they come along and make the best of it, trying to stay positive and looking forward. In the process, I try to better myself on the side and learn new things as I go along still meeting people and keeping an open mind. Just part of it, yut! :wink: