Finding a Gym: Detroit, MI

[quote]nobodyreal wrote:
Hey all,

Right now I’m working out at a Bally’s. There is only two benches and one squat rack, and it is VERY VERY cramped. If any of you have been to that gym, the one in Redford right off of Telegraph RD., you know what I’m talking about.

So I never want to go there because every time I go, no matter what hour, my workout sucks.

I need to find a new gym! Preferably less of a gym that’s geared toward Cardio bunnies and with more weight equipment. I don’t have a car, so if it’s in the city or in an area where buses are, that would be great.

Thanks!

• Andy[/quote]

I know exactly where youre talking about, its next to a Kroger and AJ Wright. I know of a few Powerhouse Gyms. One is in Southfield on Telegraph and 10 mile…its for cardio and weightlifting. Then theres a Powerhouse Gym in Highland Park on Woodward, that ones a bit more hardcore. Then theres a Powerhouse Gym on Grand River going towards the Southfield Freeway by Fenkell. I dont know much about that one. I know Wayne State University will let you buy a pass to their gym, theirs is pretty good.

[quote]pkiousis wrote:
downtown royal oak is a gym called fitness unlimited. buses should take you there.

there is a powerhouse on wodward and 6 mile. it was a pretty good gym a few years ago, unlike most other powehouses that changed.

there used to be a gym on west jefferson in dowtown area that was pretty serious.

[/quote]

I train at the Woodward gym and like it. Plus it right next to one of my favorite strip clubs Deja Vu.

I know the one on West Jefferson closed down.

Clip11, thanks man! I live around 6 mile and Telegraph, so 10 mile and telegraph is NOTHING. I could walk up there. How is that gym up there? Do they have a lot of equipment and space? Also, do you know how much it costs?

And about buying a pass for Wayne State, I wonder how much one of those things would cost… Lots of pretty college girls if you know what I mean :d :d

And there is no way I’m going to Detroit Barbell…way too hardcore for me.

I use Powerhouse Gym as well, good place. I’ve been to a few up here(Waterford, Clarkston, Brighton) and haven’t seen a bad gym for serious lifters yet.

[quote]borrek wrote:
A Powerhouse closed in Canton, and they auctioned off all of the equipment (which is how I made my home gym for 25% of the normal cost)

This one had 2 cybex squat racks, no power racks, 3 smith machines, a ton of cable sets, and dumbbells going up to 140 lbs.[/quote]

Dead thread revival strikes again.

That was my old gym. Now, sadly I attend the Fitness 19, which pretty much frowns upon weight lifting entirely. Lifetime Fitness, while nice, is terribly expensive for someone who wants a power rack and little more.

My search continues.

What about Detroit Barbell?

Not ruling it out, but its still a helluva drive. I met Clay 2 weeks ago at the APL meet at the Marriot and talked with a few other folks there. Detroit Barbell was sponsering the event.

[quote]Sea-Doo Boy wrote:

[quote]borrek wrote:
A Powerhouse closed in Canton, and they auctioned off all of the equipment (which is how I made my home gym for 25% of the normal cost)

This one had 2 cybex squat racks, no power racks, 3 smith machines, a ton of cable sets, and dumbbells going up to 140 lbs.[/quote]

Dead thread revival strikes again.

That was my old gym. Now, sadly I attend the Fitness 19, which pretty much frowns upon weight lifting entirely. Lifetime Fitness, while nice, is terribly expensive for someone who wants a power rack and little more.

My search continues. [/quote]

That must go by the owner. The Fit 19 owner where I go is prepping for a bb show, let’s me deadlift, use chalk, burp, fart, grunt if need be. All he asked is to use pads and not slam the weights to completely offend businesses beneath the gym. At night it doesn’t matter though.

BTW, where abouts do you live?

Go to Detroit Barbell, theyre hardcore as hell and you will learn alot.

Or if you want to make a day trip up for a squat day, meet me in Midland MI at Smitty’s Ironworks

To be fair, it isn’t so much as I’m not allowed, it is just the overall atmosphere of the foo-foo gym looks down upon it. My only issue with management was me setting my weight down on a very tired DL set rather quickly. My bigger issue is with the gym itself; its painfully cramped, there is one squat rack (usually occupied by folks doing curls), and if I get bumped one more time while locking out…

I live in Canton, once 5 minutes from the Powerhouse. I work about 10 minutes away in Plymouth. I would love to have a place somewhat close by, especially considering my career is such that I put in some crazy hours some times.

Aren’t you only ~30 minutes from Detroit Barbell then? That’s nothing in terms of driving for a powerlifting gym.

[quote]brauny96 wrote:
Go to Detroit Barbell, theyre hardcore as hell and you will learn alot.

Or if you want to make a day trip up for a squat day, meet me in Midland MI at Smitty’s Ironworks[/quote]

I went to school in Standish … neighbor.

Go to Detroit Barbell, a 30 minute drive is well worth the knowledge you will gain and the atmosphere. I drive 20-30 minutes to train at my gym, and it is well worth the trip. Like it has been said above, 30 minute drive to a powerlifting gym is nothing, I would suggest at the very least going up there once a week.

It is certainly in the cards, but with construction and traffic its pushing an hour; I know because I went by it the other day.

Using one of the links on this thread, I may have found another place to look at as well. I’m going to check it out tomorrow. Woo hoo!

An hour isn’t that bad of a trip if you go there once a week, like I said what you will gain from there will be worth the trip big time.

my good friend and former work out partner works out at the bally in redford in the morning. if you are working out in the morning, he would make a good partner. I know he usually works out by himself. I know he would make a good workout partner if you stay there. pm me if you want to connect.

there is also a gym in southgate with some serious powerlifters and former powerlifters.

I’ll be moving to Novi, MI next month.

I currently go to the Powerhouse in Westland, MI. It has everything I need and is never really busy. Occasionally, they’ll have an issue with deadlifting if you bring the weight down a bit quick, but otherwise management is great.

Does anyone have any good suggestions in Novi? I know there are two Powerhouses nearby, one in Novi and the other in Farmington Hills, there is also a Lifetime Fitness in the area. Any of you guys visit them recently and can give a suggestion on which to choose?

Wow, almost a year later.

I can happily inform you that I did find a place, a more private gym in Garden City.

Inquire here:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=98784887303

2 power racks, a deadlift pit, bands of all sizes, chains, tires, sleds, and a great group of folks. They are also doing a lot more “boot camp” style co-ed classes/

Check it out if ya like.

I will be in Troy, MI for the upcoming week and need a gym for this time.

Not looking for anything special as I will be going off peak hours and looking for a place where I can bench, squat, deadlift and press.

Any recs for something close by and that will allow me in for a week?