Financing a Medical Education

Boston University is actually only a little more expensive than OHSU is. OHSU is insanely expensive for a state school. Additionally, OHSU offers next to nothing in terms of free money whereas BU, as a private university, has a much larger endowment allowing for more ‘free’ money.

My roommate* is doing the Navy Scholarship and a fraternity brother is doing Army. That is the best way to reduce your debt. A doc I spoke to a while back did the Air Force and said that is the best one as far as freedom for residency. I don’t know if that’s true or not. If you want to go that route, look at the different programs and ask the difficult questions that they don’t advertise, i.e. what happens after I graduate as far as residency choice, etc.

I’ll be coming out with nearly $200k in debt (Stafford and Direct PLUS). If Obama gets his way, that will be more difficult to pay off. It’s worth it if you want it, though.

*He wants ortho, too. From what I understand, they may restrict his place of residency but not his specialty. Again, ask that question.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
brownab wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Join the military.

Actually the military will only pay for part of med school, like 100 grand. At least thats how it was when I looked into it four years ago.

Yeah…and who needs that?![/quote]

But then you have to serve for several years during which time your not making money as a doctor and also unable to pay off the loans you took out for the rest of the bill.

My advice to the OP would be to speak to docs actually in the military or who have been previously instead of random people on the internet.[/quote]

I’m not sure what forum your logged into but this is T-Nation…

In all seriousness though, go military, my sister just did and its the best way…

just ask a recruiter about the HPSP military program.
I am unaware of “capped” limits on tuition. I ran into no such thing, but i was at a state med school not private.

the military may dictate what residency you enter, depending on any shortages. by the time you graduate whatever shortages exist now wont matter anymore. but if you still want Ortho in 4 years, considering the need for Orthopods, i cant see them stopping you. yes, they can dictate where you attend residency as well.
as far as pay, you will make more as a resident in the military and you will make more in certain specialties, too. i see docs (mainly int med, peds, family prac) who leave active duty and the next day come back as contractors. the pay is competitive! especially with socialized medicine coming. everybody on the outside will be making 60K.

certain specialties, like Ortho, would indeed make more pay outside…but alot of that pay will go to your loans. so i just dont see the downside to HPSP/military.

[quote]urbanski wrote:
\especially with socialized medicine coming. everybody on the outside will be making 60K.
[/quote]

There won’t be any doctors if that happens aside from people who somehow got their license through one of those Monopoly games at Mc Donald’s.

Become a doctor, sell scripts for a year and everything will be paid off.

urbanski wrote:
\especially with socialized medicine coming. everybody on the outside will be making 60K.

There won’t be any doctors if that happens aside from people who somehow got their license through one of those Monopoly games at Mc Donald’s. [/quote]

or they’ll flock into/stay in the service…like i will. i have 14 years until they kick me out for the economy to sort itself out