T Nation

Financial Crisis is Testosterone's Fault

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/09/is-testosterone.html

Umm greed had nothing to do with it at all. Just blame it on a hormone yeah that is perfect. More media lies.

Actually, this nation is fucked if we don’t find a way to get testosterone levels back up in a hurry. We’ve become a nation of increasingly limp-wristed men and things like courage, loyalty, hard work, and accountability have all been thrown by the wayside as a result. Batten down the hatches, gents; masculinity is under attack.

sheer faggotry

Retarded. At this point, if people can’t see that they are going out of their way to paint anything masculine as a negative, I don’t know what it will take.

I didn’t know criminal greed was a sign of too much testosterone.

Anyone feel like copying the article and PMing it to me? I can’t go to the website at work, its blocked for some stupid reason. I fucking hate filters.

This is absurd on so many levels it doesn’t even dignify a discussion. What a load of horse shit.

[quote]eic wrote:
Actually, this nation is fucked if we don’t find a way to get testosterone levels back up in a hurry. We’ve become a nation of increasingly limp-wristed men and things like courage, loyalty, hard work, and accountability have all been thrown by the wayside as a result. Batten down the hatches, gents; masculinity is under attack. [/quote]

Good post.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
sheer faggotry[/quote]

Lol.

[quote]josh86 wrote:
Anyone feel like copying the article and PMing it to me? I can’t go to the website at work, its blocked for some stupid reason. I fucking hate filters.[/quote]

For everyone with filters at work.

From Scientific American

Is testosterone to blame for the financial crisis?
Jordan Lite

If you’ve been blaming reckless men for the collapse of America’s leading investment houses and the plunging markets, you may be on to something. High levels of testosterone are correlated with riskier financial behavior, new research suggests.

Men with more of the sex hormone made riskier investments than guys with lower levels, according to a study published online yesterday in Evolution and Human Behavior. Just how much riskier? Those with 33 percent more testosterone than average men invested 10 percent more of their dough.

The findings are based on saliva samples from 98 male Harvard students taken before they played an investment game with $250 in real money. The students with more masculine facial features, such as prominent jaws and cheekbones, also were riskier with their cash, investing 6 percent more of it than their softer-featured peers.

The connection between the findings and the downfall of investment firms, mortgage financers and insurers that began last year and reached a crescendo two weeks ago “is not that obvious,” says Anna Dreber, a co-author of the study. But, she tells us, there are reasons to think that testosterone may have played a role.

Traders have been shown to make more money on days when their testosterone levels are higher, scientists reported earlier this year. Levels of the male sex hormone are known to rise when people win a sports competition; a male-dominated workplace such as a financial institution may perpetuate those elevated levels as colleagues strike gold and egg one another on, Dreber says.

Even the presence of women (how 'bout those evenings at Scores?) can ratchet up testosterone, adds Dreber, a doctoral candidate in economics at the Stockholm School of Economics who is a visiting researcher at Harvard.

So were those titans of Wall Street uber-men?

“Long-term, above-average testosterone levels may perhaps eventually lead to irrational risk-taking, and thus lower profits,” Drebersays, noting the previous study of traders. “This is maybe what we see today.”

The findings could also explain yesterday’s 777-point plunge by the Dow. “People have been losing and their testosterone levels may have decreased, and therefore, they are more risk averse,” Dreber says.

The scientists didn�??t study women, and while the fairer sex makes far less testosterone, those with more of it would likely behave similarly to men, Dreber says. A 2005 study showed that women made riskier bids on experimental auctions when they were menstruating and their levels of the female sex hormones estrogen and progesterone were lowest.

“Women tend to be more risk averse when it comes to financial gambles,” Dreber notes. “They tend to trade less and that tends to be a better strategy. With more ‘average women’ trading, maybe the stock market would look different.”

Thanks LankyMofo.

Shit like this is getting out of hand…just more of the pussification of America.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I didn’t know criminal greed was a sign of too much testosterone. [/quote]

Well there you have it.

Always looking for a scapegoat, might as well be something that most people seem to reject already.

Just plain dumb.

No risk, no reward. People will take chances in various extremes. It’s a part of life. Ignorant people will blame anything but themselves, and blaming a hormone is just insane.

At least the comments to the article were mostly disagreeing with the article for a change. I was half expecting to read a bunch of ‘down with testosterone’ shit.

I thought this comment was funny though:

[i]She: Did you see the big, new house that Jill & Tim just bought?

He: Yes, they paid $900,000 for a cookie-cutter McMansion.

She: I want a house like that!

He: We can’t afford it.

She: But Jill & Tim bought it with no money down and only pay interest for the first two years.

He: Sounds like a risky bet to me.

She: If you ever want to have sex with me again, you’ll buy me a house like that!

He: Yes, dear…

And thus, that is how testosterone is responsible for the current crisis.[/i]

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
At least the comments to the article were mostly disagreeing with the article for a change. I was half expecting to read a bunch of ‘down with testosterone’ shit.

She: But Jill & Tim bought it with no money down and only pay interest for the first two years.

She: If you ever want to have sex with me again, you’ll buy me a house like that!

And thus, that is how testosterone is responsible for the current crisis.[/i][/quote]

Thanks Vader, I needed a good laugh

When I clicked the link I was expecting another fat, cookie dough eating, mu-mu wearing feminist blog. But USA Today? That rag was supposed to be semi-respectable.

God help us if this is how mainstream America thinks.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:

And thus, that is how testosterone is responsible for the current crisis.[/i][/quote]

Sounds true. But it seems more like a lack of testosterone on the husbands part.

A study done on 90 college students… I’m really suprised that scientific america even published this artical. They must really need to increase their mag sales and increase their online readership.