Financial Advisor

I seem to remember a couple posts from people on here who work as financial advisors. I have been invited to test and interview for a financial advisor position with a very reputable company. My background is in private accounting. I have just completed an MS in accountancy, and never really considered a career in financial advising. I have no sales or marketing background whatsoever. Can anyone who works as a financial advisor offer any advice? Do you enjoy your career? Most importantly, do you find your career to be rewarding?

Thanks.

What’s going on in your avatar? Please respond asap!

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
What’s going on in your avatar? Please respond asap![/quote]

Two chicks making out.

My observation has been that, in general, most, but not all, accountants do not make good financial advisors except in the role of playing the devil’s advocate. They are too risk adverse and take things, like a client firing them, too personally.

I have no idea what you said, but you have the best avatar ever.

The model has shifted over the years. Used to, brokers were in the business of understanding the stock markets and the analysis needed to choose good investments (i.e., good financial skills, accounting, economics, etc.). That has all changed - now the primary skill is sales. All brokerage houses want to do is get assets in the door, and the ‘broker as armchair economist’ is not what they are looking for.

That said, FAs can make a very good living, of course, but not as stockpickers. You will be financially rewarded if you can sell products (like proprietary money management programs) and get assets under the roof.

Being able to talk stocks, interest rates, etc. is of course necessary, but it is not the primary job of the broker any more.

[quote]Kayrob wrote:
DS 007 wrote:

Two chicks making out.[/quote]

Is one Selma Blair?

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
Kayrob wrote:
DS 007 wrote:

Two chicks making out.

Is one Selma Blair?[/quote]

I think that’s Selma Blair and Sarah Michelle Gellar from the movie “Cruel Intentions”.

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
DS 007 wrote:
Kayrob wrote:
DS 007 wrote:

Two chicks making out.

Is one Selma Blair?

I think that’s Selma Blair and Sarah Michelle Gellar from the movie “Cruel Intentions”.[/quote]

Ding Ding Ding, We have a winner!