Finally Pulled 495

Went into the gym tonight with zero intention on trying to max. Everything has felt pretty good ever since I’ve been incorporating a few new stretches for my hips over the last few weeks. During my warm up everything felt easy. Form was good and was getting good depth on my hips. So I went for the ever elusive 495. I’ve never actually attempted to pull 495 from the ground but I have successfully pulled it from a rack around shin height.

Now, I feel good with the pull but I didn’t get my hips as far down as I usually do. Granted this is a PR and my first attempt at it. When I approached the bar I was pretty nervous. I will usually take my breath and then bend down to grab the bar and pull without wasting any time. This time when I went down to grip the bar my grip was way off on the left side and I thought about backing off and starting over but I stayed with it and I think that hurt me a little. Overall I am happy with the pull and will start working on that form.

Video wont show up for whatever reason. Here it is in the meantime.

5 plates! Get some! Haha nice work.

Good shit man! Congrats.

That’s awesome dude!

Not super clean, but you got it. A judge might get you for a bit of hitching/shrugging at the top, but others would let you get away with it.

Now add some 2.5’s on there and get 500.

Thanks everyone!

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:
Not super clean, but you got it. A judge might get you for a bit of hitching/shrugging at the top, but others would let you get away with it.

Now add some 2.5’s on there and get 500.[/quote]

Yea I am not to happy with the form as I am much better than that. I will give it another go in a couple months after I finish up with Tough Mudder. I am just happy I got past that mental barrier of 5 plates.

Thats great man im chasing 405 myself. how long have you been training?

Good stuff Matt.

[quote]Painsama wrote:
Thats great man im chasing 405 myself. how long have you been training?[/quote]

Probably close to around 2 years “serious” as in having a plan or going in with something to accomplish. For the longest time I just went to the gym and had no idea what I was doing. I started around 150-155 lbs so it was a long fought battle, haha.

Congrats on breaking the 5 plate mark.

Nice job…Had a goal of 500 since college still working on it.