T Nation

Finally Pressed 300 (Albeit Decline)

FINALLY! I pressed 300 lbs. It was decline, but it's a real milestone for me, I'm a horrible presser. I'm just not mechanically built for it well. I'm so happy that I finally got there.

I've been doing something new, where I rotate the order of pressing movements week to week:

Week 1:
BB Decline
BB Flat
BB Incline

Week 2:
BB Incline
BB Decline
BB Flat

Week 3:
BB Flat
BB Incline
BB Decline

It's really working well. My flat bench hasn't suffered, and the incline and decline have improved, and my chest is fuller in appearance as well. I'm vehemently in the 'you can't target parts of the chest with different angles' camp, due mainly to the fact that there's only one tendon at the insertion point. However as I said, over the last 6 weeks my chest has taken on a much fuller appearance.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
FINALLY! I pressed 300 lbs. It was decline, but it’s a real milestone for me, I’m a horrible presser. I’m just not mechanically built for it well. I’m so happy that I finally got there.

I’ve been doing something new, where I rotate the order of pressing movements week to week:

Week 1:
BB Decline
BB Flat
BB Incline

Week 2:
BB Incline
BB Decline
BB Flat

Week 3:
BB Flat
BB Incline
BB Decline

It’s really working well. My flat bench hasn’t suffered, and the incline and decline have improved, and my chest is fuller in appearance as well. I’m vehemently in the ‘you can’t target parts of the chest with different angles’ camp, due mainly to the fact that there’s only one tendon at the insertion point. However as I said, over the last 6 weeks my chest has taken on a much fuller appearance.[/quote]

I was in the same boat, AQ. I felt the declines more than flat benches, and they helped bring up my chest, along with low incline smith machine presses.

My shoulders felt better, and since I had long arms, the range of motion was still pretty good.

Close grip decline presses are great for the triceps. Aty least they were for me.