T Nation

Finally I Know I'm Type 2B. Diet and Cardio Plan?

ok i finally belive im 2B … whats my diet should look like? calories for cutting or gaining?
and cardio?

For the cardio I’ve written an article on Thibarmy about the type of cardio for each type.

https://thibarmy.com/the-best-fat-loss-tools-for-your-neurotype/

As for the diet, I cannot tell you how many calories and what type of diet because it depends on other factors like activity level, body type, insulin sensitivity, etc.

The two things I can tell you is that 2Bs are the ones who respond the best to pre and intra-workout carbs. And that they do better on a slower/longer fat loss phase.

From my Thibarmy:

FAT LOSS MARATHON

This is your typical “bodybuilding prep” dieting approach. It is also the type of fat loss regimen most commonly recommended by dieticians: you approach dieting down as a very gradual process, you plan for a long and steady fat loss. To do so, you start off with a smaller deficit: cut calories and energetic nutrients (carbs and fats) to a fairly small degree and don’t increase activity level (lifting volume and cardio) by a lot. The process normally lasts 12-16 weeks if you are already fairly lean to start with, and can go up to 20 and even 24 weeks if you start off a bit fatter or live a stressful lifestyle; in the later case, the process needs to be even more gradual.

In fact, the first phase is often simply “cleaning up the diet” without significantly decreasing caloric intake. That mostly means not eating obvious crap, going with lower glycemic food choices and timing carbs better (around workouts for example).

You want around a 1.5 – 2lbs drop in body weight per week and you do only the minimum of what’s needed to accomplish that goal. As the diet progresses and your body adapts, you will either increase activity levels (mostly in the form of added cardio/energy system work because increasing lifting volume can be detrimental to the natural trainee) and/or decrease energetic nutrients/caloric intake. But again, you do this very gradually: just enough to resume fat loss. I personally prefer to start by increasing activity level instead of reducing food intake at first. Especially since we did not start off with a lot of extra activity/cardio.

When we reach a point where cardio/energy systems work is done 5 days a week for either 20 minutes intervals or 40 minutes steady state, we switch to decreasing calories/energetic nutrients (we don’t ever decrease protein intake, we will even likely increase it).

Normally we assess fat loss every 2-3 weeks to see if we need to make adjustments in activity levels or food intake.

Eventually, we might reach a point where fat loss stalls and we cannot really increase activity level or decrease caloric intake without having a negative impact (muscle loss). That’s where fat loss supplements, for a very brief period, can be used. Not before!

I agree with what Matt Porter says about fat loss products. He says to not put roadblocks in your fat loss process by putting a fat loss product in early and then remove it. I believe that fat loss supplements (especially of a stimulant or hormonal nature) should not be used for more than a few weeks without negatively affecting health. And once you put them in, you should not take them out. That’s why they need to be your absolute last resort when you cannot achieve fat loss via caloric restriction or increasing activity levels.

While everybody is different and the skill of a bodybuilding/body composition coach is to make the proper adjustments at the right time, I personally like to use this general approach.

Start by cleaning up the diet and maybe go with a slight caloric deficit mostly by increasing activity level. At this point the increase in activity level can come from lifting volume (but still be conservative).

If fat loss slows down, increase the deficit by increasing activity level further, by adding cardio/energy systems work 2-3 times per week. The duration is not maximal. Maybe 10-15 minutes intervals or 25-30 minutes steady state.

The next step when fat loss slows down is to reduce energetic calories slightly (to reach a lot of 1.5 – 2.0lbs per week). I like to increase protein intake by half of what we reduce energetic nutrient intake. For example, if we drop carbs by 50g I like to increase protein by 25g.
When fat loss slows down we once again increase activity level by adding 2 more cardio sessions (up to 4-5 days per week). The duration is still at 10-15 minutes of intervals or 25-30 minutes steady state.
If fat loss slows down again, we bump the duration of the cardio sessions to either 20 minutes intervals or 35-40 minutes steady state.
If we reach a point where fat loss stalls and we have not reached our body composition goal, we will reduce calories further, once again by decreasing carbs and/or fats. At this point we likely won’t increase protein further.
From this point, all we can do is decrease calories (without decreasing protein) but never go below around a 35-40% deficit relative to your maintenance level. But we would only go this route if it is truly needed.
When you reach a caloric intake that is a 35-40% deficit, you can only stay there for 3-4 weeks at the most. This means that you have 3-4 weeks left to your dieting down phase, even if you do not reach your goal at that time you will have to go back to at least maintenance for a few weeks (unless you are competing). You can use fat loss products for 2-3 weeks at that point.

Pros and Cons of the marathon approach

Pros:

– The risk of screwing up (in the sense of losing muscle or causing metabolic damage) is lower than with a blitz approach. First, because you don’t use extreme measures for most of the plan, but mostly because it is easier to make corrections if we see signs that something is wrong. Since we have a lot more time to achieve our goal, those corrections should not prevent us from reaching it.

– It’s easier to make adjustments. Because we re-assess every 2-3 weeks and only make small changes from time to time, we can easily take a step back or a step forward depending on how the body is reacting.

– It puts less mental pressure because there is less urgency. For many, it can be a more comfortable process because it is less extreme and the changes can be so gradual that they don’t feel like changes.

– Those who are comfortable in a routine, like sticking to a plan, and are made more anxious by changes will prefer this approach over something more drastic. Once they are used to the routine they can stick with it for a long time.

– The quality of the training sessions is less likely to be negatively affected as with a blitz approach. I’ve had bodybuilders gain strength up to 2 weeks prior to a contest, after dieting down for 16 weeks.

Cons:

– Those who are less patient will have problems with this approach: it takes a long time to see significant visual differences, especially if you are not already fairly lean to start with. This can kill the motivation of many.

– You can have the impression that you are actually regressing for a good part of the diet. That’s because the fat loss is fairly slow. If you start-out at 15-18% body fat, the first 3-5 weeks (sometimes more) you might look worse. That’s because you won’t have lost enough fat to look more defined but you will feel and look smaller because you are storing less glycogen/water in your muscles, making them look and feel smaller/deflated. That’s why a lot of guys (girls are less affected) quit their diet after 5 or 6 weeks.

– It can be a grind for people who like to indulge in pleasurable but less appropriate (for fat loss) foods. It’s one thing to be deprived of a lot of the things you like for 4 weeks, it’s another to not have them for 16-20 weeks. Of course, “cheats” can take care of that problem; but that is a potential road block with the slow and steady approach (see next point).

– “Cheats” can more easily have a negative impact on fat loss when using this approach, even more so in the beginning. Why? Because the deficit is low, especially at first. If you indulge in a 3000-calorie cheat (which is not that much, given calories quickly pile up with cheat foods) on top of maybe 2000 calories from your diet food and have a 2500 calories surplus in one day, you can drastically reduce the fat lost over that week, a lot more so than if you have a very large deficit (also leading to a much more depleted state) over the week. A 2500-calorie surplus in one day will have a greater impact over a 5000 calories/week deficit than a 10 000 calories/week deficit. Plus, with a smaller deficit you are not as fully depleted (which allows you to keep training harder). The more depleted you are when you cheat, the more likely you are to store what you eat in the muscles instead of fat.

– You still run the risk of causing “metabolic damage” (decrease in T3 levels, increase in TBP3) over time.

– It can become tedious. The whole approach is based on making small adjustments. To be able to make the proper adjustments, you must know exactly how much nutrients you are ingesting and how much activity you are doing. This means that you will need to write down what you eat and calculate your nutrients/calories. It also means that you need to assess your body composition properly (you can’t just go by how you look because emotions will get in the way of your evaluation). I, for one, hate calculating everything and especially recording everything. For people like me, the whole process can be a motivation killer. Sure, you can “wing it” but you will easily run into problems if you do that. An easy way to make adjustments without measuring everything is always eating the same thing (same portions too) day in and day out; from there you can simply reduce portions slightly. But that also gets boring and can be its own motivation killer.

– It can more easily interfere with long term muscle-building progress. While it’s not completely impossible, building muscle while in a caloric deficit is very hard to do (especially for the natural trainee). If you spend 16-20 weeks in a caloric deficit, that is 16-20 weeks where you are unlikely to build a significant amount of muscle. Whereas if you blitz, you will not be building any muscle, but that will only last 5 weeks, after which you will be able to focus on growing again.

My interpretation

This approach is best suited for people with at least one of the following characteristics:

– Already have a high amount of muscle mass or do not want to gain a lot more size

– Are preparing for a specific physique goal (e.g. competition or photo shoot)

– Are patient, methodical and don’t mind routine

If we go with the neurotypes, the marathon approach will work best for Type 2B and Type 3.

1 Like

thanks alot coach! so for my type muscle mind connecthion is imporant and its the key! ? even as cardio as i read in ur site i still need a lift that make em feel muscle working?
Anything where they feel their muscles working and accumulating lactic acid
for my type myo reps is good tool right? ? how do 2b get stronger?

2Bs get stronger by becoming bigger.

When they do heavy lifting it’s hard for them to recover, they will easily feel like crap the next day an it will negatively affect their workout.

When training for strength a 2B should use mostly strength-skill work for ONE lift in a workout (5-6 sets of 3-5 reps with 80-85%) and the rest of the session still is mostly bodybuilding work. Then they will do a 3-4 weeks phase where they go heavier but when they train a lift above 85% they need to reduce the volume for the rest of the workout

1 Like

my favortie style of lifting is super set… drop set… mechanical drop sets… myo reps …
also never tried carbs pre workout but gonna try it as u said 2b good with pre wrkout carbs! have problems feeling some of my muscles like pecs and lats… but trying to fix it!

Liquid carbs (like PLAZMA) not solid carbs. And you don’t need a lot 30-40g if enough to start.

CT, you mentioned that 2Bs respond best to peri-workout carbs. Is this “response” more in performance, or recovery. In other words, if someone gets little performance benefit from peri-workout carbs or trains very well without them, does that generally contraindicate being a 2b neurotype? Is there some reason why lactate tolerant individuals particularly benefit from carbs or is it somewhat coincidental?

1 Like