T Nation

Finally Growing!

I remember coming to this site wanting to get big and strong just like everyone else, my ambitions haven’t changed but my approach surely has. I used to follow my own super programs that were either too long or had super volume (too many exercises + too many set/reps) until I finally injured myself (fractured shoulder). It sent me out off the iron game for more than a year.

When I came back I decided to get back to my goal, but this time I wanted to do it right. I did what most other T-Nation readers do; I started to read. I’m really grateful for the hard job and thought all the authors put into their articles just so that guys like us who aspire to become the best with what we have can continue to do so without the benefit of having to do countless mistakes. During these months, I’ve tasted powerlifting, ate bodybuilding and drank combat sports. Although this still doesn’t make me an expert, I like the idea of being able to help my friends or other people in my gym to train properly and cash in my effort with their smiles.

I’m finally back in the gym (been there for a month now)and I’ve been on this strength-oriented program (written by myself)
It has some westside, CT, Waterbury, bodybuilding, steve reeves elements in it and I would like some feedback on what I could change/add.

Upper
Bench Press - Push
Bent over Row - Pull
Push Press - Push
PCD - Pull (PCD: Triset: Pullups, Chinups and Dips)
Close-grip Bench Press - Push
Dumbbell Curl - Pull

Lower
Back Squat - Push
Romanian Deadlift - Pull
Lunges - Push
Leg Curl - Pull
Leg Press - Push
Seated Calf Press - Push

Upper
Incline Press - Push
T-Bar Rows - Pull
Shoulder Press - Push
PCD - Pull (PCD: Triset: Pullups, Chinups and Dips)
Skullcrushers - Push
Barbell Curl - Pull

Lower
Front Squat - Push
Deadlift - Pull
Lunges - Push
Good Mornings - Pull
Hack Squats - Push
Standing Calf Raises - Push

Set/reps:
Week 1: 5x5 on all exercises (Dynamic Effort Week)
Week 2: 10x3 on all exercises (Max Effort Week)

• I started doing Squats for the first time this month (Legs in general for the first time to be honest). I’m extremely week in my legs (I’ve recently started doing Box Squats to help improve my Free Squat)

• Same goes for the barbell bench press (with shoulder injury and all…)

• Deadlifts are probably my strongest exercise (compared to BP and Squats)

Stats:
Squat: 140 kg (310 lbs) (ATG Squat)
Bench Press: 120 kg (265 lbs)(No arch)
Deadlift: 200 kg (440 lbs)

Height: 6.3
Weight: 210 lbs

Goal:
Increased Maximum/Relative Strength with little size gain.

I live in Sweden so we only have those shitty over-packed commercial gyms where people start to stare at you whenever you’re doing Squats or Deadlifts. Lucky enough my gym is open 24/7 with no one working during weekends so I only have the weekends to test my max lifts without anyone asking me to “put down my 400 pound weight slowly and quietly and do a hand-stand while I’m at it”.

They even have a word for gymtrolls in Iran, they call the “only train biceps and chest” aspect of training for ‘Sweden-sport’.

Haha! I remember talking to a friend about how I always read about teenagers from the states squatting 400 lbs for reps and benching and deadlifting horses. (Quite common on T-Nation) And he said that the American government are putting pro hormones and what not into the food and milk in High School’s. I think it’s funny but for some reason, other countries (at least Sweden) use U.S.A as a benchmark in most sports. I’ve been playing Basketball for 7 years and I have friends who remember more about NBA players then they know about their families or friends. And whenever I’m at the gym someone might go and say: “But I read about this American dude called Jimmy that pulled 1000 pounds with his pinky and now I want to become just that strong!”

Anyhow, thanks for reading!

EDIT: As far as cardio and ab-training goes, I usually warm-up with olympic lift variations on lower body days (Hang Power Snatch, Hang Power Clean, Hang Power Clean and Press)to get that explosive power, together with basic core exercises such as planks, leg raises etc. I’ve also started with some post-workout stretching to get some overall flexibility and relieve tension in joints and tendons. As for cardio, I practice basketball two times a week.

One thing real quick. Try to work in some unilateral exercises, one arm rows, lunges, etc. I think you’ll see a bigger benefit than using all bilateral movements.

sweet program bro keep at it.

Thanks bro=) How is your training working out for you?

usafirefighter: on it asap!

I like your variations. Don’t mind if I incorporate some of your program into my new one do ya?

I think you’re DEFINATELY on to something with the olympic lifts and planks for core and cardio warmup. After a good set of hang cleans, I feel like my heart is going to climb its way out of my nose.

Dissonance: feel free to do anything you want :smiley: Tell me how it works out for you! =)

[quote]Dissonance wrote:
I like your variations. Don’t mind if I incorporate some of your program into my new one do ya?

I think you’re DEFINATELY on to something with the olympic lifts and planks for core and cardio warmup. After a good set of hang cleans, I feel like my heart is going to climb its way out of my nose.

[/quote]

I might have to try this one also…

Core Exercises:(I know some are used for conditioning but I define them as core exercises)
Planks
Side Bridges
Leg Raises
Sit-ups
Pushups
Corkscrew
Turkish Get up
Burpees

Yoga �?? Stretching: (Some yoga I found interesting in an article on Men’s Health)
Forward Fold
Downward-Facing Dog
Chair
Crescent Lunge
Warrior Pose 1
Bridge Pose
Bow Pose
Boat Pose
Hero Pose
Reclining Big Toe

For anyone wanting to work in more unilateral exercises:
Dumbbell Flat/Incline Bench Press
Shoulder Dumbbell Press
Dumbbell Bent-over-Row
Bulgarian Split Squat
Bulgarian Split Deadlift

in my opinion ive never had to do ab exercises they will just lead to lower back pains later in life. abs are made in the kitchen, not at the gym.

What do you guys think about this set-up:

Upper ME 10x3-5 (Max Effort)
Lower DE 5x5 (Dynamic Effort)
Upper RE 4xmax (Repetition Effort)
Lower ME 10x3-5 (Max Effort)