T Nation

Finally Got to Do a Meet

I just thought I’d share video of my first meet. Was happy with the results overall. got 8/9. Missed my last bench due to technique error I believe. I left quite a bit on the platform in squats and deadlifts. My goal was just to get every lift though since it was my first.

The meet was very well run, especially considering how big of a turn out it was. I look forward to getting ready for the nationals in November…whenever I finish taking this week off and get back from a two week vacation anyway. Feel free to point out any technique flaws you see. I think I’ve already noted a few, but glad to take advice.

Cool! I really thought you were gonna make that third bench press when it came off your chest.

Yea, it was closer than I thought. I think I shouldve started it lower on my chest. If I did get it up it wouldn’t have counted anyway. My ass came off the bench.

[quote]MightyMouse17 wrote:
Yea, it was closer than I thought. I think I shouldve started it lower on my chest. If I did get it up it wouldn’t have counted anyway. My ass came off the bench.[/quote]

Yea, so are you planning on doing another one soon and hitting some squat and deadlift PR’s? Would be awesome.

COOL, good job!!

Looked good. Squats were good man. Probably had 20+ more left in ya on squats and deads. And I agree that your bench flaw was touching too high on the chest. Still though, good meet!

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]MightyMouse17 wrote:
Yea, it was closer than I thought. I think I shouldve started it lower on my chest. If I did get it up it wouldn’t have counted anyway. My ass came off the bench.[/quote]

Yea, so are you planning on doing another one soon and hitting some squat and deadlift PR’s? Would be awesome.[/quote]

I think I’m just gonna do the NASA nationals November 17th. That will give me 19 weeks to get ready when I get back from vacation. Leaning towards 531 for powerlifting, but I’m still a little indecisive. If I don’t do that, I’ll probably do mainly 5s and work down to lower reps as the meet nears.

Nice job man!!! : )

Keep at it!! :smiley:

Great job for a first meet big dog. Now put some weight on the bar!

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
Great job for a first meet big dog. Now put some weight on the bar![/quote]

My goal for November is a 10% increase in all my lifts. So around 305-310 for squat, 245-250 bench, and 430-435 deadlift. I’ll have to work hard, but I think its a reasonable goal. Maybe I’ll get even more on my squat. I certainly need too.

Kick ass, sea bass!

Glad to see someone actually doing, and not just talking. Lots of younger kids just flap their gums on the forums and yap about getting to a meet eventually. Take’s a set of balls to go out there and compete.

Tips,

1.) Get stronger, and you will my friend… You will…
2.) Pull your elbows under the bar during the squat, they are pointing back. When you are on the way out of the hole. FORCE them forward, this should help with some of the “bending forward”. I know it helped fix my squat.

Nice meet man, I look forward to seeing you lift in the near (12 months or less) and far (5+ years) in the future.

Stick with it.

[quote]Rudy2401 wrote:
Kick ass, sea bass!

Glad to see someone actually doing, and not just talking. Lots of younger kids just flap their gums on the forums and yap about getting to a meet eventually. Take’s a set of balls to go out there and compete.

Tips,

1.) Get stronger, and you will my friend… You will…
2.) Pull your elbows under the bar during the squat, they are pointing back. When you are on the way out of the hole. FORCE them forward, this should help with some of the “bending forward”. I know it helped fix my squat.

Nice meet man, I look forward to seeing you lift in the near (12 months or less) and far (5+ years) in the future.

Stick with it.[/quote]

I think it takes a lot of balls just to wear that damn singlet! lol

Thanks for the squat tip. I’ll keep that in mind. Never have put a lot of thought in my elbows.

[quote]MightyMouse17 wrote:
I think it takes a lot of balls just to wear that damn singlet! lol
[/quote]
that just makes it worse

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
that just makes it worse[/quote]

Lol…Yes, it literally does.

I am worried about hardcore camel toe with this meet, singlet wearing, mish mash.

How to avoid this???

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
I am worried about hardcore camel toe with this meet, singlet wearing, mish mash.

How to avoid this???[/quote]

Wear a strap-on.

duck-tape.

Dont get such a tight singlet? I’ve got two, first one makes me pretty uncomfortable, the second slightly larger is much more comfortable.

Just get a size larger. Problem solved.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
I am worried about hardcore camel toe with this meet, singlet wearing, mish mash.

How to avoid this???[/quote]
Absolute last thing I’m thinking about on the platform. Like most people, you’ll only care about lifting the weight when the time comes.

I also have two singlets. I wear my tighter one when I compete raw for squats/DLs and my larger one for bench. Be warned that some singlets run small.