Finally Got a (Real) Job

[quote]fighting_fires wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:
So for awhile I’d been working the computer world, doing networking and repair and all. Grunt work, white collar work, the whole nine yards.

Then I turned 18 and moved from the town where I was known, so I was still making “bank” (as beans says) and even more of it (get to charge a fee for driving over!) but I felt like I didn’t want to have to worry about workflow anymore. Its still plenty but I know one day I’ll get tired of it, so I went out and got a real job.

I just got a job at a Vitamin Shoppe, pays well enough for part-time and I can score at least three pretty quick raises thanks to their system (you get raises by demonstrating knowledge of supplements/physiology etc)

Anyone got any experience in retail or tips so I don’t screw up? I figure its easy, but I like to excel at crap.[/quote]

Lol @ real job.

Let me tell you a story, when I first decided to become a salesman my father told me to get a “real job.” He wanted me to go to PetSmart or Home Depot and get a fork lift job, get certified so I’d “always” have a job. That first summer that I worked I made just over $50,000 in 4.5 months, my father makes 2/3rds of that at his job during the whole year. Don’t worry about having a ‘real job’ as long as it is legit and your not slanging drugs, as long as your making ‘bank’ stick with it, you’ll feel less disgusted with yourself.

I would rather have a job where if I do not do work, I do not get paid, but if I bust my ass I can take home serious cash. And, that is more rewarding than having a ‘real job’ because I didn’t have to just be present (even though the effort to sale is not much) I had to make my own bones.[/quote]

What kind of sales were you in to make that money brother chris? if you dont mind me asking. [/quote]

[quote]andrew_live wrote:
is thsi the vitamin shoppe wer’re all talking about? Looks sweet…discount?[/quote]

Wait… I think thats my exact VS, creepy? I’ve been to others so its not a generic layout, woah.

Either way, to the guys starting a white color vs. part time job discussion, I didn’t give up my computer work. I make nice cash with that, and its not “easy” by any means, I do indeed have to bust my ass and if I don’t I don’t make a bloody dime.

You can understand that my job is very unpredictable in terms of money, working at Vitamin Shoppe was deff NOT a move I made for money. I made it for something stable to do, and make enough money to cover gas and little things I may want to buy here and there. I am not doing it to profit myself, my parents need help around the house especially with all moving related expenses.

Back to the topic (and answering the above question) I get a stackable 25% off discount, so when they have their 50% sales I get 67.5% off or something near there.

I really don’t care for the pay, but I love A) the discount (they sell HOT-ROX, which I found cool and unexpected) and B) the free education, because its a primer as I am minoring in nutrition.

He assured me their education system (the raise one) wasn’t a joke, and they go over loads of physiology and such so its not just “leg hurts? give them fish oil for joints.”

tl;dr its not about the money

First day of work (9 - 5:30) done, that was pretty cool.

Training is basically just picking it up as I go, so I’m flying 100% off my personal knowledge of stuff until I get my VS online training. I do well enough with the regular people asking how vitamins interact and looking for normal things and colon cleanses, its surprisingly the meatheads who give me trouble. I have NO CLUE what half the meathead stuff is (think every OMG HUGE PUMP BRO product ever)

I’ll see your Vitamin Shoppe and raise you Beverages and More…been working since I was 14 (will be 24 in a few months) and never worked retail. Got laid off and needed something. Figured if I had to work retail, I want to get something out of it…discount on booze?! That’s something, imo haha

Wish I wasn’t working retail though…soul draining…and assholes. Some shithead got pissed at me on my second day because, while I was ringing up another customer, and said customer is talking to me, he comes up, interrupts the other customer to ask me to unlock the cigar case, and I ask him to wait one minute. Self-important, useless piece of shit…I feel bad for you, I can only imagine the kind of questions you’re going to get.