T Nation

Finally, 10 Diet Myths 'Busted'

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
hey 30+ years of bad dietary/nutritional advice have resulted in disastrous rates of obesity, cancer, heart disease and diabetes

Just to play devil’s advocate… you really think all those fat/cancerous/heart disease/diabetes people in America have followed all the government’s recommendations on eating (low fat food pyramid nonsense?) I bet they haven’t…[/quote]

LOL. My wife works with nutritionists and 3 out of the 5 of them are obese. I laugh every time she talks about them.

8 FUCKING GRAMS?!?!?!?!?!

punches computer

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
here’s an earth-shattering revelation to medical professionals and the public in general

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT

this advice isn’t exactly recent either[/quote]

I’ve been eating a high fat diet since I came off the V-diet, and I’m not fat… Anymore.

[quote]Josh Rider wrote:
‘That’s probably all you need,’ she says. ‘you don’t need four scoops of whey powder to get that amount of protein.’"
[/quote]

Honestly, how can anyone accept “probably” in a statement like this?

If anyone was going to buy a new car, and the salesman said “you’ll probably be alright” in response to someone asking about poor crash test ratings, who the fuck in their right mind would buy that car?

If someone was buying a used DVD from the store, and the clerk said “It will probably work,” Who the fuck would buy it?

If someone was applying for a loan, and the bank said “you’ll probably get interest rates around 8%, just sign here.” Who the fuck would do that? No one. You would want a gaurantee you’re getting 8% interest rates.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
LOL. My wife works with nutritionists and 3 out of the 5 of them are obese. I laugh every time she talks about them. [/quote]

This is why I hate basically everyone.

I think it was Mark Wahlberg, who said something like “Why would I take advice from someone who’s not in better shape than I am?” in an article a few years back.

This reminded me of a story that happened a few months back. I work at a kayak shop in the summer, and a mom and a daughter came and rented kayaks to go kayaking out of our shop, located in a calm bay.

The mom ended up falling off her kayak, (which happened to be a self bailing, very easy to get back on sit on top style kayak) and freaked. When they came back, they were yelling at me for not showing them exactly how to get back on their kayaks. Turns out the daughter was a lifeguard, but was too afraid to help her mom get in the kayak becuase she was afraid of falling in the water, too.

A lifeguard. Afraid of the water.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
here’s an earth-shattering revelation to medical professionals and the public in general

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT

this advice isn’t exactly recent either

I’ve been eating a high fat diet since I came off the V-diet, and I’m not fat… Anymore. [/quote]

your body needs the fats for cell membranes, that was my point

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
LOL. My wife works with nutritionists and 3 out of the 5 of them are obese. I laugh every time she talks about them.

This is why I hate basically everyone.

I think it was Mark Wahlberg, who said something like “Why would I take advice from someone who’s not in better shape than I am?” in an article a few years back.

This reminded me of a story that happened a few months back. I work at a kayak shop in the summer, and a mom and a daughter came and rented kayaks to go kayaking out of our shop, located in a calm bay.

The mom ended up falling off her kayak, (which happened to be a self bailing, very easy to get back on sit on top style kayak) and freaked. When they came back, they were yelling at me for not showing them exactly how to get back on their kayaks. Turns out the daughter was a lifeguard, but was too afraid to help her mom get in the kayak becuase she was afraid of falling in the water, too.

A lifeguard. Afraid of the water.[/quote]

I went to a dental hygienist with dragon breath once.

I asked for someone new the next time

[quote]Brayton wrote:
Every time this article mentioned sugar, I cringed. [/quote]

Maybe it was funded by the sugar lobby. I’ve started to see commericals crop up about high-fructose corn syrup is ‘ok in moderation.’ Guess who is paying for them. The National Corn Refiners Association.

The article is posted on webmd, but the information is directly from the most recent American Dietetic Association’s annual meeting.