T Nation

Final Fantasy XII

Its new and totally amazing.
I love the new battle system
Everybody in the entire world needs to get this.

I’m so there! It looks badass :slight_smile:

So, an incredible attractive girl wants to talk about video games, im sure this thread won’t get many replies.

Heh, FF 12 looks amazing, I actually havent bought it yet though cuz im waiting for the price to drop. I always pick up games when they hit about 20 bucks, but im sure ill borrow it from my bud soon

i have it. its really good. i like the new system. the plot is a lot easier to understand than say ff7

[quote]ftothe3 wrote:
i have it. its really good. i like the new system. the plot is a lot easier to understand than say ff7[/quote]

What was difficult about FF7? One of the best stories of any game I’ve played. Couldn’t get into 8 or 9 so I quit following the series, and now I don’t even have anything newer than a PSX and an N64, so I’m screwed until it comes out for PC. If it’s good though, I just may go for it.

[quote]ftothe3 wrote:
i have it. its really good. i like the new system. the plot is a lot easier to understand than say ff7[/quote]

FF7 was crazy good, I dont know any FF player that Didnt like that one, I have Red as an action figure in my room and I have its soundtrack hah

I liked FF IX the most, the music, the different themes to the characters, everything

Even through it all, Id take a Suikoden over an FF anyday.

Dirge of Cerberus I didnt even buy because it got crap reviews and looked like crap even though vincent is awesome

I love the Active-Time Battle mode and was wary about the new battle setup in this one but I find it really gets your adrenaline pumping because your having to act quicker, in ATB mode I found myself just pressing one button the entire time to get through it and get on with it, this setup gives the same type of thrill as Kingdom Hearts battleplay does in my opinion, and its in a FF style.

To keep going (sorry)
The two things I Dont like about the game are Vaan and the Licensing thing.

About the licensing, I wish they wouldve made it unique for every character like they did in one FF somewhat if I remember correctly.
I hate it that all of them are going to be able to aquire the same sets of everything, and everyone can learn what everyone else can. Im going to have a mage, healer, gunslinger, swordwielders, the works even with this but they couldve made it easier for me to define each of them. Maybe that was the point, having the option.

Vann is just effeminate but a lot of Boys these days are pretty like that, at least where I live, I dislike it but it exists, I mean, he as a character is artistically sound but god. He looks like he goes to a tanning bed and gets his hair styled for the day everyday and puts on lipstick and blush.

[quote]julia87 wrote:
He looks like he goes to a tanning bed and gets his hair styled for the day everyday and puts on lipstick and blush.[/quote]

That’s all the game review I need. Thanks.

Is there any indication that this is coming out on PC as well?

[quote]julia87 wrote:
To keep going (sorry)
The two things I Dont like about the game are Vaan and the Licensing thing.

About the licensing, I wish they wouldve made it unique for every character like they did in one FF somewhat if I remember correctly.
I hate it that all of them are going to be able to aquire the same sets of everything, and everyone can learn what everyone else can. Im going to have a mage, healer, gunslinger, swordwielders, the works even with this but they couldve made it easier for me to define each of them. Maybe that was the point, having the option.

Vann is just effeminate but a lot of Boys these days are pretty like that, at least where I live, I dislike it but it exists, I mean, he as a character is artistically sound but god. He looks like he goes to a tanning bed and gets his hair styled for the day everyday and puts on lipstick and blush.[/quote]

Agreed. That’s my only real complaint about the game. The license system doesn’t really make any of the characters unique at all. I always prefer it when the characters have a specific strength, specialty or weapon type. For example, you’d think Basch would be a master swordsman considering his character’s background, but with the license system, he’s no better inherently than Ashe or Fran. That just doesn’t seem right to me.

So, basically I’m just killing everything in sight to get more LP and just buff up all my characters as much as possible. I’m sure I’ll end up opening the entire license boards for every character.

Vaan is a little too metro for my tastes too, but doesn’t it seem like there’s always one character in every FF game like that?

I’m enjoying the game though. It’s not my favorite of the series, but it is still fun to play.

[quote]julia87 wrote:
To keep going (sorry)
The two things I Dont like about the game are Vaan and the Licensing thing.

About the licensing, I wish they wouldve made it unique for every character like they did in one FF somewhat if I remember correctly.
I hate it that all of them are going to be able to aquire the same sets of everything, and everyone can learn what everyone else can. Im going to have a mage, healer, gunslinger, swordwielders, the works even with this but they couldve made it easier for me to define each of them. Maybe that was the point, having the option.

Vann is just effeminate but a lot of Boys these days are pretty like that, at least where I live, I dislike it but it exists, I mean, he as a character is artistically sound but god. He looks like he goes to a tanning bed and gets his hair styled for the day everyday and puts on lipstick and blush.[/quote]

Yeah, Vaan just looks bad. Fortunately… the only time you actually have to use him is walking through cities. But come on… the fake abs they gave him is just disturbing… and the rest I wont comment on.

I half like, half hate the licenses. For one, they definitely allow customization of each character, and all the characters become snappable in an instant, which is helpful… for the most part. I have my main three all with all the spells, armors, etc, but they each serve a different role based on armor. Really, the license system is a good touch for the battle system, which is the highlight.

Awesome battle system. At first I was wary of how gambits would work… but once you have a complete list, they are the true customization basis of each character. It’s amazing how giving simple priorities to a specified variable can be so useful.

Still a bit too short storywise for my tastes though. At 50 hours to the last boss, including hours upon hours of spending time doing almost nothing, it’s pretty quick. I don’t like all the time consuming crap to be side quests… I enjoy very long story lines, complex, but not lengthy to the point that they are just spouting words for the fun of it.

But on second thought, that does make it easy to put down, and go workout.

[quote]RagingBull wrote:
Is there any indication that this is coming out on PC as well?[/quote]

Not in any of the gaming circles that I frequent, and if there were news, they would be among the first to hear it (even a rumor). There hasn’t been a Final Fantasy for the PC since FF8, which is unfortunate.

I not entirely sure why not, but I don’t think FF8 or FF7 sold that well on the PC (although they did astoundingly well on the Playstation).

I can’t wait to get my hands on FFXII. I’ve played every Final Fantasy (except 11), and not having a PS2 isn’t going to stop me =). Well, except that it does, but I’m patient.

You are definitely my favorite girl on this site now. :slight_smile:

[quote]julia87 wrote:
ftothe3 wrote:
i have it. its really good. i like the new system. the plot is a lot easier to understand than say ff7

FF7 was crazy good, I dont know any FF player that Didnt like that one, I have Red as an action figure in my room and I have its soundtrack hah

I liked FF IX the most, the music, the different themes to the characters, everything

Even through it all, Id take a Suikoden over an FF anyday.

Dirge of Cerberus I didnt even buy because it got crap reviews and looked like crap even though vincent is awesome

I love the Active-Time Battle mode and was wary about the new battle setup in this one but I find it really gets your adrenaline pumping because your having to act quicker, in ATB mode I found myself just pressing one button the entire time to get through it and get on with it, this setup gives the same type of thrill as Kingdom Hearts battleplay does in my opinion, and its in a FF style.

[/quote]

VII was the only one I ever played all the way through. I was addicted to that game. I played for hours almost daily when I was in the Navy.

Then I saw the movie that was based on IX (I think) and I liked that a lot also.

I should get back into them again.

This game is awesome. I bought it Friday night. I love the new format, especially the battle system. Also, the storyline isn’t soap opera garbage like ff8. I can’t really see why people are crying about it except for perhaps those who liked the random encounters and turn-based battles.

Oh btw, FF7 is not the be-all and end-all of RPGs. There’s a game called Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 which are better. With that said, 7 is pretty cool. You have to admit that the background art kinda sucked and the controls/camera angles when manuvering Cloud and the gang were horrible. But, the FMVs rocked. The storyline and charecters were a bit stereotypical of most animes. With the exception of Red XIII, naturally.

My fucking PS2 broke even though I treated that thing like a princess. So here’s the question. Is this game worth getting a new/used PS2? I’m getting a Wii so PS3 is out of the question.

[quote]itsthenickman wrote:
My fucking PS2 broke even though I treated that thing like a princess. So here’s the question. Is this game worth getting a new/used PS2? I’m getting a Wii so PS3 is out of the question. [/quote]

I havent finished it so I wouldnt know
Dont try getting a used PS2. Mine broke just like yours did and…there are reasons why they are used. The guys at Gamestop said that there was nothing wrong with it that they could see and all but…i had three failed attempts to get a good console from the used section.
Wii…getting Zelda. Lucky.
Im playing Resistance:Fall of Man this thanksgiving on PS3, should be interesting, see if it was worth all the money for myself-looks like itll live up…but I really didnt want to play a game with humongous really detailed spiders even if its first person shooter and deal with chimeras.
By the way, thanks Back In Action and the dumb bastard :slight_smile:

[quote]t3h_Squirr3l wrote:
This game is awesome. I bought it Friday night. I love the new format, especially the battle system. Also, the storyline isn’t soap opera garbage like ff8. I can’t really see why people are crying about it except for perhaps those who liked the random encounters and turn-based battles.

Oh btw, FF7 is not the be-all and end-all of RPGs. There’s a game called Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 which are better. With that said, 7 is pretty cool. You have to admit that the background art kinda sucked and the controls/camera angles when manuvering Cloud and the gang were horrible. But, the FMVs rocked. The storyline and charecters were a bit stereotypical of most animes. With the exception of Red XIII, naturally. [/quote]

I know its a matter of opinion but I still think FF9 rules.
hate random encounters. They drive me nuts, I want the option of having an encounter and I dont want to have to rely on getting money to buy repellants on them, its just such a waste of time and energy.

Do you like the music in the new FF? I havent decided…its very…imperious. Doesnt really have the emotional texture the music from other FFs do…

the FMVs seem to always be good and I agree about the controls (gawd) and alittle about the art but it was a different type of art-I liked the dark pensive tone of colors
(save Aeris’s outfit) yet I never have a bad word for art unless its a portrait of a turd.
but thats what I really like about FF’s, every single one has its different palette of colors.
On the Pause menu they couldve made it clear so I could pause the game to absorb some of the detailed art in the game, that kinda pisses me off, I think it was on Suikoden III that they didnt do that and I loved it,

…if anyone has a Suikoden II they want to give up…

[quote]julia87 wrote:

…if anyone has a Suikoden II they want to give up…[/quote]

Yeah, in exchange for you SOUL.

Suikoden II beat the bejeezus out of FF7.