Filter Help

Hey all,

I’m in need of some class-A info right now and I know TN is the right place to look. So thanks in adavance for any help fellas…

Syringe filters, as in Whatman or Millipore (25mm specifically).

• Are they easy enough to filter as you inject? Meaning: attach filter to syringe & needle, draw out unfiltered juice and inject. All in one go instead of filtering into a vial first.

Anybody tried this method before,any difficulties?

• How many times can they be reused? How do you know when to replace it?

• Finally, is 25mm too dense for oil based. Should I use 45mm instead?

I would never recommend filtering as you inject.

1. Once the filter is used, it needs to be disposed of - saving a filter and reusing it is bad hygiene. Those things cost 4-5 bucks a piece, so that makes the cycle very expensive.

2. the whatmans hold 2-3 ml’s of oil in the filter before anything comes out the other end. I am not sure which millipore you are using, but they hold about the same amount. This means that every time you inject - you are wasting three ml’s of gear in the filter. Another colossal waste of money and gear.

3. There is no way to aspirate with a filter attached. This could be dangerous if you are in a vein and don’t know it.

Filtering into a vial is what the whatmans are designed for, and it is much much easier to filter into a vial.

Bad idea. Dont do it.

are you going to keep the pin in your muscle belly for half an hour while you inject? i know bill roberts talks about slow injects…

seriously, like RJ says, filter into vial first. you may want to check out something like this:

http://www.vwrcanlab.com/catalog/product/index.cgi?object_id=0008211&class_id=5002354

or this:

http://www.vwrcanlab.com/catalog/product/index.cgi?object_id=0008210&class_id=5005808

Thanks for the advice guys.

RJ, just one more thing: you said they’re not to be reused. But if I was to filter 20mls of gear into a vial and I have 5ml syringes- is it ok to use the same filter 4 times if I do it all in one sitting?

[quote]Prov1da wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys.

RJ, just one more thing: you said they’re not to be reused. But if I was to filter 20mls of gear into a vial and I have 5ml syringes- is it ok to use the same filter 4 times if I do it all in one sitting?
[/quote]

That’s not really re-using - and is perfectly safe.

I am talking about using a filter, then using it again the next day, and the next, etc.