T Nation

Filling in the Gaps in my Diet

Hello,

I have recently gotten a bod pod test done and want to really dial in my nutrition. As listed below, I feel like I have the majority there and just need some help filling the gaps. As of today, my stats are as follows:
Height: 5’6"
Weight: 179
Bf: 23%

As for my goals I ultimately would like to end up at 168@10% so I can start competing in powerlifting. As of now, I am aiming my protein at 1 per gram at Target lean body mass (151~). My macros currently sit at 152g P, 156g C, and 36g F, which is 1556 calories. This is eaten through salmon, ground turkey, white rice, and broccoli or brusselsprouts.

My predicament is I don’t know how much of what to fill in the rest of the calories.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
R2legend

Have you actually been eating like this? Or is this just what your gonna aim for?

If you have, how long? And what has happened to your weight over that period?

are you tracking your calories and macros accurately? Including liquid calories? Weighing stuff out? Forgetting to add sneaky snacks?

what’s your training look like?

A lot of questing I know but it’s impossible to help without knowing exactly what you have been doing over the past year. The best way to progress is to make very small changes that are easy to implement.

Calories and macro splits are no where near as helpful as knowing exactly what you put in your mouth yesterday. Give am honest breakdown of exactly what you eat on a daily basis, honesty is key as any advice will be based of this. If you don’t tell us about the 5 chocolate bars, we can’t help, nobody is going to judge the bad aspects.

Just spotted your training log and some of the info is in there

there is no mention of conditioning work in your log? Are you doing any?

from the diet info you mentioned in the log a few points came up…

your not currently only eating 1500 calories, that’s good as that’s too low in my opinion. Your old targets were better, I wouldn’t recommend dropping 700 odd calories straight off the bat.

breakfast, it appears you skip it every day. I would shift a good chunk of carb into a breakfast meal, say 80-100g. Then eat the rest of your carbs around your training time.

Eat vegetables at each meal.

I would not change the way your eating too much, couple of small diet changes along with some conditioning work. (Will await info about conditioning)

I have actually been eating like this. Until yesterday, i was filling in the rest with syntha-6 shakes and fairlife milk. My macro at 204gP, 207gC, and 67gF. After realizing i was spending too much money on the fairlife, and i havent gotten anymore protein yet, though it seems I dont need to supplement with a powder anyway.

As for only currently eating 1500 calories, i have been eating other random things to fill in. For instance, last night i had 700ish calories of Natural Peanut butter. I say ish because i didnt weigh it or anything, just going by the spoonful.

My conditioning as of now is very Little to none some days. I will normally superset farmer walks with a trap bar with my calf raises and facepulls. I have also been doing 100 reps of pushups and squats alternating reps of 10 with no rest until finished in the sauna.

Until i had the bod pod done I have been hovering between 175-180, but leaning out.

I would like to continue to eat at slight deficit as i am still getting stronger through the 5/3/1 cycles, but I do understand all good things like that will come to an end.

I guess my biggest question would be,
Will it be more efficient to gain the 12 pounds of muscle i am looking for first, or the trim down to the BF level i want to hold then slowly work back up to weight adding muscle.

Thanks,

R2legend

I guess it would be good to also mention I am sitting at a desk for 8hr a day. Hourly stretching is included.

Sorry, but your question is irrelevant.

You need to get your eating in order. Can you actually write what you ate yesterday without making excuses or adding occasional fillers?

You will get great help but not if tell us what you think we need to hear. Be honest.

I am sorry, I thought i made that clear in the post above that i was eating the same base 1500 calories every day. I ate the following:

2 cans of salmon= 52g P 0g C 4g F
1 cup uncooked rice= 12g P 140g C 8g F
1 pound ground turkey= 84g P 0g C 32g F
1 bag steamed broccoli= 4g P 16gC 0g F

totals=152g P 156g C 40g F=1556 cals
Then had Natural PB by the spoonful. Guessing 5 big spoonfuls worth.

Guessing is not knowing. Was it one or five spoonful?

And, as noted above, way too low. It’s been discussed many times. Yes, I know you have a desk job.

Also, I asked what you ate yesterday, not your diet. The above looks like a couple of meals. Your veggies are non existent.

Timing of food is also important. Hence, asking what you ate yesterday and when.

The above feedback is all you need right now.

Good luck.

Okay, let me phrase this another way since I do not think you are getting the question i am having. I have 700 calories to fill, but I am unsure of what to fill it with. You say 6 serving of veggies is non existent, so how many should I be shooting for? Should I add those calories across all the macros or just fill in with carbs and fats? Are there any nutrients i am missing that I should be looking to fill with my remaining calories[quote=“JFG, post:8, topic:224726, full:true”]
Guessing is not knowing. Was it one or five spoonful?

And, as noted above, way too low. It’s been discussed many times. Yes, I know you have a desk job.

Also, I asked what you ate yesterday, not your diet. The above looks like a couple of meals. Your veggies are non existent.

Timing of food is also important. Hence, asking what you ate yesterday and when.

The above feedback is all you need right now.

Good luck.
[/quote]

?

Thanks,

R2legend

For today, I have added 1 avocado, 1 more can tuna, another 1/4 cup uncooked rice, and one more bag of steam fresh broccoli. This brings me from 1556 to 2259 calories, with a split of 190g P, 224g C, and 67g F. This does not include the olive oil I use for the turkey. I will be measuring that starting tomorrow.

My meal intervals are 10, 1, 330, and 8pm.

Salmon and rice first two meals
Salmon, rice, broccoli, and avocado 3 meal
Turkey, rice, and broccoli for fourth meal

I know what the question is. You are not writing what you are eating. Don’t give a crap about your diet, only what actually goes in your mouth. Why? As you can see from your own writing, it’s vague.

A 10 oz bag of broccoli is not what you think. Definitely not 6 servings. Hell, I put half a pound in a smoothy and that’s only breakfast.

The fat content of your turkey seems off to me. Also, the fat content of the salmon is off.

Do you cook with oil? If so, how much? Rice is the only carb? Ingested in one sitting? Two meals?

Details.

All macros for food listed is right off the bag/can/container, so that’s what I’m going to go with. So, unless the food companies are mislabeling the products, then no, the contents are not off. If they are, then let’s make some money on a false label suit. As of now rice is the main carb, but are you suggesting I substitute rice calories out and replace with more veggie carbs? As mentioned in the post above, I eat at 10, 1, 330, and 8. My first two meals consist of salmon and rice. The third meal was salmon, rice, bag of broccoli, and an avocado. The final post workout meal is a pound of ground turkey, bag of broccoli, and 1/2 cup of uncooked rice. As I also mentioned, I will be weighing my olive oil tomorrow, as I have already cooked everything I’m gonna eat today.