T Nation

Figuring Strength Goals

I tried searching for this, but could not find anything that detailed how to figure this. What is the best way to determine what a good max is for the following lifts? Not what my max is, but what is respectable for my height, weight,… I am 5 10 and 207lbs.

Deadlift
Squat
flat Bench Press

I am not trying to limit myself, but my lifts are currently weak. I am trying to set some obtainable goals to accomplish over the next 3 months, and I am unsure what to shoot for. If there any articles please direct me to them.

Shoot for a 20% increase over three months, maybe a little more if you’re still riding your newbie gains. In general, bodyweight for bench, 1.5xbodyweight for squats, and 2x bw for deads are good goals for beginners. That being said, respectable lifts, regardless of height, would be 400,500,600 on bench, squat, and dead, respectively. Expect to spend several years reaching those.

[quote]needresults wrote:
Not what my max is, but what is respectable for my height, weight,… I am 5 10 and 207lbs.

Deadlift
Squat
flat Bench Press

I am not trying to limit myself, but my lifts are currently weak. I am trying to set some obtainable goals to accomplish over the next 3 months, and I am unsure what to shoot for. If there any articles please direct me to them.[/quote]

I would suggest actually documenting your 1 rep max in each lift and then setting your own goals for increasing each lift.

Have you decided on a Program that will help you acheive these undetermined goals? That would be the best place to start.

I don’t think anyone can tell you what you should be lifting - that simply makes no sense.

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
Shoot for a 20% increase over three months, maybe a little more if you’re still riding your newbie gains. In general, bodyweight for bench, 1.5xbodyweight for squats, and 2x bw for deads are good goals for beginners. That being said, respectable lifts, regardless of height, would be 400,500,600 on bench, squat, and dead, respectively. Expect to spend several years reaching those. [/quote]

ninja,

I don’t know many newbies who can bench their bodyweight, squat 1.5 x bw, or deadlift twice their weight.

Also, the 400/500/600 club is rarified air. I would classify those numbers as elite, not “respectable.”

No offense, but I think he should start with realistic goals and determine a path from there.

Thanks for the posts. I am still getting good returns. I do not know my current 1rm, but 5x5 are:

Dead 275
hacksquat 290
squat 225
DB bench 80

WS4SB III was recommended, but I do not have access to boxes for jump exercises. As such I think I will follow Ripptoe or something like that in order to get the compuonds down.
Ninjaboy - the 20% sounds good as a starter.
Thanks

You’re numbers aren’t too bad at all.

If you really want to grow in the Big 3, try Stephan Korte’s 3x3 Program. I just started week 7 and the results have been phenomenal.

You can find it here:

www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/index.htm

If you try it let me know how it goes…

3x3 looks good. I am trying to figure out if I should even bother with 1rm, or just use what I am currently using for 5x5. Also, I lift alone, do you think there would be a problem with using dbs? what about upper back work? What kind of results have you achieved?

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
I don’t know many newbies who can bench their bodyweight, squat 1.5 x bw, or deadlift twice their weight.
[/quote]

Bench 1.25 x BW
Squat 1.5 x BW
Dead 2 x BW

Was said to be respectable beginner goals on a T-Nation article a while back.

I strongly agree with these numbers. I’m a beginner and this is what I aim for (for single reps).

Why are we setting up the deadlift as the biggest lift past the beginning phase. I can understand why it is easier for beginners, but by the time some one is in the range of any one of those lifts being 400 lbs things could be much different. There are plenty of people out there that squat way more than they deadlift.

[quote]Spry wrote:
Polish Rifle wrote:

Bench 1.25 x BW
Squat 1.5 x BW
Dead 2 x BW

Was said to be respectable beginner goals on a T-Nation article a while back.

I strongly agree with these numbers. I’m a beginner and this is what I aim for (for single reps).[/quote]

Those are good goals.

After two years of training I can hit close to 1.5 BW squat (315lbs @ BW of 215ish) and close to 2xBW dead (415). Conversely I suck at bench, and can probably on hit a BW bench…maybe.

OP, take your current 1RM and set new goals or set goals for 3RM it doesn’t matter. Just choose what you want to achieve and go for it. Be sure to set a timeline in which to accomplish them. The real idea is to keep goals realistic. Do say you’re going to squat 600 in one year. Could you do it? Doubtful, but possible. See what mean? A good goal is one that will push you to your limits, but be possible in the time-frame you set. Good luck!

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:

No offense, but I think he should start with realistic goals and determine a path from there.[/quote]

In Ninja’s defense he did say goals, not necessarily baseline strength for beginners…I do agree with the 4/5/6 being pretty uncommon among everyday non-competitors. Even for those who lift hard and consistently for years a fifteen-hundred pound total is usually pretty hard to attain.

Yeah, I don’t expect a beginner to hit 4/5/6 any time soon, God knows I’m still far from it. But as far as goals go, you might as well aim high long term. The fact to those numbers are rare is what makes them respectable.